• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I main Fox or Falco

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
I've just started playing melee and I'm deciding whether to put my time to main either fox or falco. between the two are two gripes that can be fixed later on. I can short hop with falco but not fox but fox is my best wavedashing character and I can't wd with falco. though some say that wavedashing is not beneficial I tend to use it a lot in mind games if that counts. any one lift some ideas and reasons for me?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Definitely Falco, he's more stylish, tends to be easier on the hands, and is cooler. Plus his combos are sick. Also, Wavedashing is incredibly beneficial.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Look at the tier list
Who is #1? There's your answer.
Practicing tech with Fox is more rewarding than Falco and Fox has better tools in general (i.e better shine, recovery, best up-throw in the game, etc.)

Lunar Dusk

Smash Rookie
I know it's probably not the answer you want, but play whichever character you're more comfortable with. It doesn't matter that you play Fox if you aren't fit for him. It's kinda like in Harry Potter: It's not you that chooses the character, rather the character chooses you. Or maybe you're not fit to be a wizard at all, in which case you can always pick Sheik and mash buttons.

XVI

Smash Rookie
^ nah he's wrong. play both. learn to slow your trigger presses with falco to get a good wavedash and press y faster with fox to shorthop. just takes practice. both are dope characters so don't limit yourself if you like both.

DrunkPuff

Smash Rookie
I don't "main" either so I can't really say which. But I'll say that if you find you feel more comfortable with Falco or any other character, having a pocket Fox is extremely beneficial. You can make strides with his tech skill really quickly, and he's the best character, simple as that.

Tamak

Smash Rookie
its super based on personal preference. fox is really fast and is a horizontal killer- falco is vertical. fox is much faster, falco jumps much higher. starting with fox and then trying out falco, seeing how you like him once you learn a lot of fox tech is not a bad idea. again, complete personal preference- because theyre both such good characters

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I don't understand these kinds of threads. They pop up so often, and it's the same answer every time: play whoever you want. We don't really care who you play, and I don't say that to be rude, just that it doesn't effect us in any way. This is something that is completely up to you. Like your mother probably once said, "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you too?"

Fox and Falco are both great characters, and either one is a great choice. But whichever one you ultimately decide on should be something you decide on your own after experimenting and practicing them both. Practice every character in the game, in fact, you may never know what character clicks with you. I never expected to play a character like Bowser, one of the worst in the game, but after trying him I found him to be my favorite character of the cast. Just mess around with everyone until you come to a final decision. It took me over a year to settle down on Fox.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
^^this^^

Only answer you should take into account. Give yourself some time. Play both. Watch both in the hands of top players. Make up your mind later.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
Dual main myself.

I learned Falco more in the beginning to get more competitive at locals, but most of my focus goes into Fox.

Honestly the simplest answer is just play who you have the most fun with.

TheCZA

Smash Rookie
I started with falco first to get used to the similarities of the characters then worked on a pocket fox, you have nothing to worry about m8, it takes time to decide-A Sheik main

Tartsono

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nicholas111
It depends on your playstyle. If you like to have a lot of control and dictate the pace of the match, choose Falco. If you like to play really fast and change your playstyle on the dime, choose Fox. Each have their own weaknesses, but it's up to you to decide which you can handle. Falco has a pretty bad recovery but great onstage edgeguards. Fox thrives on getting gimps, but can't reliably combo slippery characters like Luigi and IC"s.

Top Bottom