• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I learn the matchups or get a secondary?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I’ve played competitive with bowser for about a year now, and one thing that really keeps me from lifting off are his bad matchups-Palutena, Peach, Pikachu, and Samus, among others. I’ve told some others about this and they’ve told me to pick up a secondary, but I’m not sure whether or not it would be easier to just learn the matchup with Bowser-what should I do?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
We do have examples of people who power through these MUs. LeoN and DeluxeMenu are probably the best examples. That said, you should not be pressured to emulate their model of success. A lot of people feel more confident and have had success with secondaries to cover MUs that their main has a disadvantage in.

If you are able to play the game a lot with a good practice partner, there's no downside to looking into who might be a good secondary for you in case you need one. Then, if you still feel like sticking to Bowser, you can easily switch your practice back and you shouldn't be losing much in the long run.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Thank you for the replies! I’ve thought about it for a bit, and I think I’m going to keep entering Bowser in online tournaments and use him in serious friendlies, but work on a new character in most of my free time.

Top Bottom