• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Should I get Pokken Tournament?

Death Blast

Smash Rookie
NNID
DEATHBLAST_X
Hey guys whadup I hope yall are havin a good day. So I know I'm kinda late to the party here.. I've been wondering for quite a while now whether I should get Pokken Tournament or not. Pokemon is perhaps my favorite video game franchise of all time and I also like fighting games a lot like Smash Bros. (and Tekken style and One Piece Burning Blood, Naruto style on PS4 if it helps...). Yet I'm still unsure about this game mainly bcuz of the very short (but deep, I know) roster and I'm scratchin my head trying to figure out why the fighters aren't at least 25 or so and they're only 17 with the inclusion of Darkrai and from what I've been hearing perhaps Empoleon and Scizor MIGHT be available for DLC but that's about it..
Still I don't know if I'll be playing a lot online even though I want to bcuz I got a 8GB Wii U and the updates for Smash and Bayonetta are just too much for my console to handle so if I wanna play online I'll have to get an external hard drive or at least a USB flash drive that works. Plus I don't have friends I can play Pokken local multiplayer with consistently... I love everything about the gameplay though, the combat style, the Field and Dual Phases from what I've seen on youtube (story mode, the ability to customise your trainer etc etc) it looks like a very good polished game overall. However, as you understand I'm worried cuz I don't wanna get bored with it quickly like playing extensively for 3 weeks and then leave it be. If the roster had like 25+ fighters I could certainly play through each one of the fighters individually but it isn't. If any character mods could come out and you could expand the roster or even replace some fighters that would be really nice but I don't know if that will be happening anytime soon..
And truth is, I so want to buy another game for my Wii U now and bcuz I'm a die-hard Pokemon fan I was thinking about this game or Mario Kart 8. Ummm if it helps I also don't have anyone to play MK8 but I loved the Wii game. I know I'm posting this on the Pokken Tournament section of the forums but hey, I really do want to know what you guys suggest I should do. Give 60 dollars for Pokken?? Or maybe purchase MK8 with the same amount of money?? Is it worth it?? Thanks!

Last edited:

Lord Zeppelin

Smash Rookie
NNID
lunaluka
3DS FC
4468-1035-0664
Pokken is really fun for the first couple times you play it, but it can get repetitive after awhile due to the game's small roster. MK8 is nothing like MKWii and in my opinion is not as good as MKWii. It lacks the creative shortcuts and has a really unbalanced item system. Like I saw someone get a bullet in 3rd as I was getting red shells in last. If I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Pokken. Hopefully the game will get more dlc characters. Aegislash for Pokken!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly both Pokken and Mario Kart 8 are worth picking up.

They are both super fun.

Last edited:

>Metα<

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiMario793
3DS FC
4124-5762-8357
Pokken and Mario Kart 8 are both amazing titles. You'll have hours of fun either way so just choose the one that better fits your interests!

Pokken is a competitive fighting game that, despite the small roster (16 at the time of this post), has an incredibly deep combat system. It also has a pretty high learning curve if you're willing to put the time in.

Mario Kart 8, on the other hand, is a fun casual experience. Which, imo, is even more fun when playing couch multiplayer with friends as the insanity ensues. There is a lot to unlock as well, and that makes the game very rewarding while adding to the fun as well.

Hope I helped!

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
Yes.

<Thread closed>

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
No. I have it and I regret buying it. You know what brawl is to melee? It manages to do that to brawl. it tops it in terms of crappy-but-pretty bad design and easy-bake combos.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No. I have it and I regret buying it. You know what brawl is to melee? It manages to do that to brawl. it tops it in terms of crappy-but-pretty bad design and easy-bake combos.
I'm honestly not sure how.

Brawl's problem wasn't easy bake combos. It was polarizing balance and play that led to camping, stalling and overall boring play.

Pokken has neither of those issues.

madluk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Madluk4745
"easy bake combos" Pick a more technical character, someone who actually has frame perfect inputs and if you miss them then you either get severely punished or lose a significant amount of damage. I highly recommend the game, I love it enough to the point I nearly dropped smash entirely.

vertime

Smash Apprentice
I got the demo for it because I thought it would be a neat fighting game. After playing the few pokemon it gives you to start I can say with certainty, I wouldn't pick it up. It's pretty god damn awful in my opinion. It feels like if Tekken was watered down to the point where it's like 90% water 10% tekken. More of a button mashing fighting game with ever so slight marks of POSSIBLE competitive play.

TL;DR it's like tekken for kids.

Top Bottom