• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I focus more on not being hit or trying to attack?

TheKingOfThings

Smash Rookie
Let me extend my thought a little bit:

Should I be trying ridiculously hard not to get hit (competitive play in general), in order to eventually find openings that Roy can fly in and capitalize on, or should I be focusing more on trying to actually create instances where I can make my opponent to do what I want? I recognize that it's easy to say "do both equally" but I'd like a little bit more information on the analysis of the issue.

Sometimes I think I rush in without an exact idea what I'm trying to do. So I'll get hit because I did something stupid. I know what Roy does well, I think, I know where I want my opponent, I think, and I understand how spacing, pivots, etc work because I have been a long time Smash Bros. Fan.. But is the fact I get beaten more to do with "not making the right attack strings" or "making defensive errors"?

Let me give you a bit of a break down in question form of how I think Roy should be played, and in general how a good Smash player should function. You peeps can tell me if I hit the mark and am on the right track. Should I be adding pressure by throwing out attacks that I know will miss just to keep the opponent back - like spacing with weaponry that may hit if they come too close - as well as fox trot, roll, short hop, etc for movement and anti-predictability/dodging? Should I be only going in for an attack when I genuinely believe I will get the hit, or should I try to "make things happen" by actually trying to go in for the attack before that point? Should I be trying to make things happen or wait defensively until a chance arises? Sometimes I feel like Sm4sh is more about trying to make the opponent slip up - whether it be by reading/predicting what they'll do or forcing them into situations that are in my favor. Other times it seems like pros are just using their safest moves at a distance slowly creeping closer until one hits and starts the string. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I would love to learn more about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWXCTKKDV0

Last edited:

Zephil

Smash Ace
You are in the right track, at least with Roy.

While very fast, Roy should not be played aggressively, instead he is more of a hit and run type of char. He has an excellent punish game which combined with his great mobility in general makes him very good to bait the opponent to make mistakes.

Throwing attacks knowing that they will miss is not good actually, the time you use using these attacks you can be using it to analyze the opponent. To use Roy's maximum potential you need two things: good awareness and good movement skills with him. Space attacks to see the opponent's reaction, how he DIs after throws, does he always recover from the ledge the same way, if he is in high % does he shield a lot, etc. All these details not only improve your Roy but also your smash skills in general.

One example of how to bait and punish the opponent can be that you dash to the opponent making him think you are going for a dash attack or a grab, instead when you are close, you do a dash dance to opposite side while the opponent decided to shield, you dash dance immediately again towards the opponent and you can punish him with a grab. All of this happens in a second, and like this, you can make different baits to provoke the opponent to do something.

Roy requires a lot of creativity but not in combos or strings but mostly in baits and reads.

Hope this answers your question :seuss:

Creeeamy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3994-5969
Roy is a semi Marth clone, and has a Semi Marth play style, Roy is fast and strong, with incredible capabilities, but thanks to his lovely hilting effect, rushing in will get you out prioritized and punished.

You'll want to be switching between the two constantly, all while trying to apply shield pressure at the same time, your main aim with Roy is to make your opponent trip up, punish them and then continue to corner them, when Roy takes the advantage he is a menacing presence, so at first, give your opponent some air, not too much, don't be obvious about hanging back, then when you have an opening take it and capitalize, combo, string, whatever, once your opponent manages to regain their footing, simply hang back and repeat.

So it's all about punishing and following through, not being the aggressor until your opponent is. Also Roy has good grabs and throws, don't be afraid to throw them out on your opponent rather than waiting for them to let you get in with your sword.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Again, a good idea to check the date of the last post on a thread before posting.

I'd personally say Roy and Marth play quite differently due to their movement stats. Attempting to play Roy the same way as Marth will set up for heart-ache in the long run.

Top Bottom