• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I fight Randoms or locals?

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
There vastly better at locals than my current GSP bracket, who should I play against?

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
you should always strive to fight the strongest, most easily-available players. throwing yourself at people in your GSP range is good practice but figuring out how to topple the best player you can is a much faster way to improve.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I suggest leveling towards the best you can find in contrast to immediately going to actually practice with them, as getting overwhelmed and bodied doesn't help you improve as much as one would think. I would suggest looking for someone local just above or at least close to your level and study and learn concepts by playing with them in friendlies a lot. As someone once told me, "Take it slowly".

Also, never hesitate to ask questions or for advice, as every peice of information will help as long as you can store and use it. For this, many players recommend bring a notebook, laptop, or usage of a mobile app. Personally, I use a Book-sized sketchbook and sketch out situations to deconstruct them and incorporate things I see.

That said, to answer the original question, seek locals, but ensure you take data at your own pace.

Top Bottom