• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I buy Melee?

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
I had a copy of Melee when I was younger, but my brother lost it. Today, I have enough money to buy a used copy (they usually start at $100) but I'm not really sure if I should. We all know how competitive Melee is, but I don't know how I'd do competitively. Are we at a point where it's impossible for Melee newcomers to be competitive?

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
it will never be impossible for newcomers to be competitive, especially with more and more people picking up the game. part of melee's longevity is due to how much fun the act of improving itself is, and so long as you can find people near your skill level it will always be enjoyable to try to get better. there is a learning curve as with most things, but once you're past those first couple weeks of getting the basics down then it can lead to years and years of entertainment. i know a lot of people that don't even enter tournaments and just play friendlies at events because of how fun it is

Juels

Smash Rookie
It takes time to become "competitive" I'm still learning the game myself. It isn't easy, but as you know from when you were a kid, there's more to the game then just the competitive scene. Like all other games that have completive scenes they also have the casual side to them and just because there is a competitive side to them doesn't mean you need to be apart of that just to enjoy the game itself. At the end of the day, the game is there for you to have fun with, and however you find that is what is most important.

Top Bottom