• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

should I be using fsmash?

HeraSwellow

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8400-4658-5024
Hello guys, I have just recently started to play palutena, so i am somewhat inexperienced when it comes to skill and knowledge of her play. one thing i always find myself doing in game is forward smashing. I know that it is a strong move but it has a lot of lag. the question is, is it ok for me to use it? or am i just giving away a free punish

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
Strictly for reads and punishing. It has excellent range and does a great job at killing, and the windbox can screw up some recoveries as well, but it is not safe on shield. Thus, if you know you're going to hit it, go for it. Otherwise, focus on using other moves like fair and dtilt to poke.

l1l1l1l1

Smash Rookie
Fsmash will be parried or dodged if you're trying to attack a waiting opponent. But a confused recently exploded opponent? Smash away.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Out of all attack she has, F-smash is probably the worst. It's very slow, and you will end up being punished 90% of the time if you didn't use it purely on a good read.

The windbox does not add anything special to it I must say. It doesn't stop your opponent from reaching you because your end lag keeps you locked for too long.

In my opinion, if I could, I would change all my F-smash inputs to forward tilts.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Out of all attack she has, F-smash is probably the worst.
(snip)
In my opinion, if I could, I would change all my F-smash inputs to forward tilts.
I don't agree. Fsmash is a great move, but not one you can just throw out there. It kills earlier than any other move in her arsenal, and has enough range that it works as an effective punish. Ftilt is the go-to move at low percents as it's a lot safer, but once the opponent gets up to around 100 or so? If you can land an fsmash, go for it. This is going to be a controversial opinion, but her fsmash is actually her best smash imo.

Last edited:

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
Her best smash is definitely a tossup between usmash and fsmash, but I think usmash beats it by the slightest bit. It can 2 frame, cover ledge options, outlasts a spotdodge, and has massive vertical range.

Her worst move is easily dsmash. I can't think of a time where I'd want to use it over usmash or fsmash. It's much laggier and takes a bit to actually come out, compared to her others two smashes. Covering rolls I guess?

Last edited:

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
F-tilt > F-Smash in most situations that require range. You want a fast poke most of the time.

U-Smash > F-Smash in most situations that require power. U-Smash has far more applications and follow ups for you. F-Smash is only good for punishing a hard read where you know it will kill.

Top Bottom