• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Amiibo's Be Legal In Tournaments?

Should Amiibo's be Legal for Tournaments?

• Total voters

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
They could be useful for 3v3 or 4v4 tournaments, to fill up those last extra slots on a team. I'm still skeptical on how much these Amiibo's learn, and what makes them different than regular CPUs.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I could see Amiibo battles being an amusing side event, but I can't see them ever being in a serious tournament, especially if there isn't any way to disable their stat boosts and abilities.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Competitive wise, they'd be nice for independent training.

Outside of that however, no.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
I look forward to 2v2's with amiibos as a side event, and maybe some (really small) amiibo only tournaments. More than that just seems extraneous.

If there are amiibo only events, then I think we could turn customizations on like all the way and have equipment-raised amiibos duke it out. It'd be pretty cool. Explosive perfect shield equipment would be fun to watch, considering CPU reaction times.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I would personally love to see a Player+Amiibo vs Player+Amiibo doubles tournament. Like, not just pitting Amiibos against eachother, or using them to replace players every now and then, but specifically doing a tournament where every player fights alongside their amiibo as a team.

Amiibos with no equipment literally have a gray circle displaying "Balanced," you'd just have to look at that thing to tell whether or not they have been fed equipment, if it's anything other than balanced, they're out.

Secondly, it's very, very safe to expect the stats and equipment to be ignored when playing with customizations off, like, they'll have vanilla stats/equipment unless you specifically turn customizations on.

Why's that?

It's exactly how Miis work. You can assign custom movesets to Miis customize their appearance, but unless customizations are turned on, any stat bonus and equipment effects will be ignored, as if they had none. I think we can expect Amiibos to work in the same way.
there's a problem with this though... what if you want to use a custom moveset on a character (but not equipment)? that would mean that you have to turn on customization, thus activating the stat boosts on your or your opponent's amiibo.

personally, I'd rather have a balanced amiibo, or hopefully there will be a stat-cleaning option (like the white punching bag in pokemon X&Y super training.)

and I'm up for doubles or single amiibo battles as a side event. if amiibos prove to have high skill once lvl 50, then maybe they should be allowed in doubles, but only once its been tested.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the hopes people are pinning onto these amiibos is ridiculous. I guarantee that they will be no better than a regular level 9 cpu. The idea that they "learn" play styles is pretty silly too. If you look at what people who have tried them out have to say about them, then you will see them saying stuff like "the amiibo didn't know how to use items until it saw me use them in a match." So the only "learning" that the amiibo actually does is just learning the same basic damn stuff that the regular cpus already know.
The only thing that might really stand out, is there might be a few very simple variables that it can copy from your playing style, like how frequently you use special moves, or how frequently you use smash attacks, things like that. There's no way these things are going to be learning your combos and stuff like that. You guys are just setting yourselves up for a bigger disappointment than brawl was.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Wow, the hopes people are pinning onto these amiibos is ridiculous. I guarantee that they will be no better than a regular level 9 cpu. The idea that they "learn" play styles is pretty silly too. If you look at what people who have tried them out have to say about them, then you will see them saying stuff like "the amiibo didn't know how to use items until it saw me use them in a match." So the only "learning" that the amiibo actually does is just learning the same basic damn stuff that the regular cpus already know.
The only thing that might really stand out, is there might be a few very simple variables that it can copy from your playing style, like how frequently you use special moves, or how frequently you use smash attacks, things like that. There's no way these things are going to be learning your combos and stuff like that. You guys are just setting yourselves up for a bigger disappointment than brawl was.
I don't really know what to believe either way, which is why I'm not going to judge until I get my hands on one.

Not knowing how to use items may seem dumb, but it also might indicate just how programmable they are if they really are a clean slate at first.

Shog

Smash Ace
I agree with you tbh. BUT it is still nice having a "better" CPU than LVL9, don't you agree? Like (and I guess you are right) if you use a lot of good aerial moves, nearly no smashes and only good moves, the CPU might provide a tough challenge with its powershield and spotdodge combined with usage of the best move

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Amiibo's are OP. Nerf plz. /sarcasm

...Why don't you wait until people fully understand the intelligence and capabilities of a trained amiibo instead of speculating that they'll be technical gods with the intelligence/adaptability of a real person?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I voted no initially, but after some consideration It'd be cool to see as a side event or as a doubles option. They will certainly make for some interesting training partners, IMHO.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Don't amiibos change their stats as they grow? A maxed out amiibo that has double weight, hits twice as hard, and runs twice as fast might actually be a really good partner; you just let it take point and as the opponent desperately tries to deal with the huge amiibo parameters you support it and punish them for using traditional anti-AI strats (AI randomly block and punish with seemingly equal probability from all attacks so using lots of power moves generally wins against them, but in doubles with a competent human playing support, that's not going to work at all). If the amiibo is just special AI I don't see a problem (though it would never be useful except for the hilarious possibility of trolling your real life partner like T0MMY suggested), but if the amiibo has mechanical advantages, we're better off just not messing with it.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Don't amiibos change their stats as they grow? A maxed out amiibo that has double weight, hits twice as hard, and runs twice as fast might actually be a really good partner; you just let it take point and as the opponent desperately tries to deal with the huge amiibo parameters you support it and punish them for using traditional anti-AI strats (AI randomly block and punish with seemingly equal probability from all attacks so using lots of power moves generally wins against them, but in doubles with a competent human playing support, that's not going to work at all). If the amiibo is just special AI I don't see a problem (though it would never be useful except for the hilarious possibility of trolling your real life partner like T0MMY suggested), but if the amiibo has mechanical advantages, we're better off just not messing with it.
No, you CAN change its stats but it isn't automatic. It can still be a balanced fighter, if I understand correctly.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
If it were to be some sort of 2v2 with an Amiibo on each side, first there'd need to be confirmation that each Amiibo was at the same level. From there, there could be specific "Amiibo" tournaments, which could be interesting.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
If it were to be some sort of 2v2 with an Amiibo on each side, first there'd need to be confirmation that each Amiibo was at the same level. From there, there could be specific "Amiibo" tournaments, which could be interesting.
That part seems simple enough. Restrict it to Level 50 Amiibos only.

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
That part seems simple enough. Restrict it to Level 50 Amiibos only.
I like this idea. Maybe Nintendo can even implement in future updates an actual tourney level cap a la Pokémon so that all Amiibos are level 50 regardless of their actual level.

idk, I'd have to see how these things actually perform before I can decide, but it's a cool concept nonetheless.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I like this idea. Maybe Nintendo can even implement in future updates an actual tourney level cap a la Pokémon so that all Amiibos are level 50 regardless of their actual level.

idk, I'd have to see how these things actually perform before I can decide, but it's a cool concept nonetheless.
Unless I've been woefully misinformed, 50 is actually the max level. I don't think there's such a thing as a level 51 amiibo. They stop leveling at 50.

That said a level cap would be cool if it could be done, especially if it only affected stats.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
any opinions on recent amiibo footage? found this one with a lvl 36-42 amiibo. I have to admit, it did fool me on acting more like a human for quite some time. it does seem to have some bot troubles but definitely looks more competent than a regular cpu.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The project M guys that developed the lvl 9 CPUs has some style similar to a human made flow chart of moves. If anything I think they would be similar to project m cpus . Very flowcharty and very predictable but with 1 frame reactions. Human players will still be able to adapt and win.
I think Amiibos can become like that but its too soon to say really so I'm undecided.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
any opinions on recent amiibo footage? found this one with a lvl 36-42 amiibo. I have to admit, it did fool me on acting more like a human for quite some time. it does seem to have some bot troubles but definitely looks more competent than a regular cpu.
Looks exactly like a level 8-9 cpu. I fight against cpu mario often (he's a pita) and this amiibo did the exact same stuff.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Amiibos are still CPUs though. They may be smarter than a Lv 9 CPU but still are CPUs. I see your point but an actual human being is much better than a CPU because a human being can learn and adapt to a match. CPUs can't do that.
They're suppossed to get better with experience, but I think you're right in the end: a good, reliable human partner is better to have as a teammate than a CPU.

As for Amiibos, as long as they don't have any custom equipment with modified stats, I don't see a problem with allowing them for doubles tournaments. Smash CPU AI is probably the funniest to watch: they can powershield every single jab you throw at them, and at the same time have predictable patterns

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Where is the No items Amiibo only Omega stages option?

In all seriousness, doubles tourneys could fit Amiibos provided no equipment. Custom moves only if allowed.

S2

Smash Lord
I know there is a knee jerk reaction against having CPUs in a tournament, but for doubles this may not even be a bad thing.

If someone is going to pay for both them and their amiibo in doubles, that's money into the prizepool.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
Good luck finding a serious TO who is willing to organize such a dumb event lmao

Jonney

Smash Cadet
NNID
hawkeye721
3DS FC
4253-3982-7075
Amiibo only side events would be neat I guess, no real place in serious matches though.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I've had to pull out the 'ol Lv. 9 CPU on at least one Doubles tournament. It wasn't even because t0mmy was merely playing badly - he was completely passed out due to mold toxicity. Lv. 9 R.O.B. is pretty terrible, btw.

Even with my experiences, I still say no to Amiibo for events that are not specifically designed for Amiibo as a default. If the Organizer and opponent(s) are okay with it, then go for it.

Kryzeth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kryzeth
3DS FC
5214-9582-8204
Hue hue hue, Fox amiibo named Waveshine takes 3rd place in a tournament. They are serious contenders, no mistake ;P I've heard they get some kind of bonus to their damage or knockback at level 50, regardless of equipment feeding, but I dont know if that's true. In any case, I'd say No to singles (frame-perfect reaction times OP) but yes to the the human-amiibo doubles, and hell, maybe even 2xHuman+2xAmiibi 4v4 Squad Battles would be hilarious X3

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Amiibos get hidden stat boosts even without being fed. I've never fed mine and it still does roughly 1.5x damage on all attacks, despite the stats screen claiming its stats are still 0/0/0. This is even the case when customs are turned off. So this should be an automatic no based on that alone.

Amiibo vs. Amiibo side events do sound pretty cool though. It just wouldn't be fair to have them fight humans.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I rather see amiibo vs amiibo as side tournaments. Should we have both custom and no custom tournaments for amiibos or would that prove problematic?

Hon Si Zi

Smash Rookie
There is no way Amiibos should be legal in a way that lets them replace human competitors. It has been found that even non-fed Amiibos have stat boosts over standard characters. They also have the CPU issue of inhuman reaction times and reading inputs.

Amiibo specific tourneys, though, such as Amiibo vs Amiibo or Amiibo and human vs Amiibo and human, are completely fine and something I'm looking forward to happening on a small scale in the community.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
NO way. The whole point of playing a game, is you know, to PLAY. Not to watch. It's a a ludicrious concept to me. Would the NFL allow robots to kick their field goals for them? No serious competition will allow AI to replace what human players should be doing, it defeats the entire purpose of competition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom