• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Shots Fired!"- The Duckhunt Video Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirst

They're changing moves and mechanics so replays just won't work anymore. I dunno if they'll desynch like brawl with improper codes or just disallow them to work though.
They'll disallow them to work. It was stated officially that the 1.0.4 patch would break any pre-existing replays and they won't be viewable.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Looks like I'll have to hold to hold off on downloading the patch until I upload my current replays of everyone I play as, Duck Hunt included. Dang it, why must the patch be released so early?

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Here's a couple videos of mine where an aggressive playstyle pays off, tell me if you think I could improve on anything, I'm looking for criticism. I'm the DHD, obviously.
VS. :4falcon: - http://dai.ly/x2aftwq
VS. :4marth: - http://dai.ly/x2als3r
I will try add some more replays as time goes on.

Edit: Added VS. Marth replay, I might add a replay where I lose soon, as a reminder of what not to do.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Here's a couple videos of mine where an aggressive playstyle pays off, tell me if you think I could improve on anything, I'm looking for criticism. I'm the DHD, obviously.
VS. :4falcon: - http://dai.ly/x2als3r
VS. :4marth: - http://dai.ly/x2als3r
I will try add some more replays as time goes on.

Edit: Added VS. Marth replay, I might add a replay where I lose soon, as a reminder of what not to do.
Uhhhh...

Both replays are the same link. =P Unless Captain Falcon suddenly got prettier.

You are rolling an awful lot, although the Marth didn't punish you for it, you should avoid using it as a primary way to get around. It becomes very predictable. When I find people always rolling, a clay pidgeon is usually how I punish, since it covers a huge amount of space.

Rest of your game seems on-point. If I may, try different edge guard mix-ups. I've noticed (myself included) that once people are off stage, we tend to let can do all the work. We gotta remember DH has a pretty good jump and one of the strongest recoveries, as well as the super disjointed Fair and Dair. We can still use can, but mix-ups are vital with DH, as people can start to become very predictable.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Uhhhh...

Both replays are the same link. =P Unless Captain Falcon suddenly got prettier.

You are rolling an awful lot, although the Marth didn't punish you for it, you should avoid using it as a primary way to get around. It becomes very predictable. When I find people always rolling, a clay pidgeon is usually how I punish, since it covers a huge amount of space.

Rest of your game seems on-point. If I may, try different edge guard mix-ups. I've noticed (myself included) that once people are off stage, we tend to let can do all the work. We gotta remember DH has a pretty good jump and one of the strongest recoveries, as well as the super disjointed Fair and Dair. We can still use can, but mix-ups are vital with DH, as people can start to become very predictable.
Oh yeah, fixed the link, I also have a Charizard replay up, here: http://dai.ly/x2axup5

I've tried to stop rolling as much recently, I've been practicing RAR Bair to approach as well, but I want to avoid practicing difficult to do techs until the Wii U version comes out so I can get used to the controls.
When it comes to edge-guarding, what I want to try is using Dair to spike them, which I'll get to practicing soon and will save a replay of if I manage to do it correctly.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
SH OoS nair and SH FF bair are good KO moves you should make more use of. You could also use some more general mobility. In particular, I noticed you had a tendency to remain stagnant as you shot your projectiles. SH gunmen/clay pigeon and jumping with a can being shot are all good ways to add pressure to your opponent. If you were to incorporate projectiles into your game to build momentum rather than seemingly remain stagnant while doing so, you'd start to overwhelm the opponent. DHs projectiles are generally slow, so it's not like you can camp with Falco's SHDL back in Brawl. I also noticed you sometimes became a bit too smash heavy which isn't a good idea for DH as his smashes should be used as general surprise mixups and heavy punishes rather than making it telegraphed. Also, to every Duck Hunt, USE THE WALL JUMP. Duck Hunt's recovery is really not that great and if you're recovering low and vertically, it's pretty much a stage spike/meteor smash against a competent opponent as DH is left completely helpless and locked in the move. If you can wall jump (works well with walled omegas), it gives you some horizontal/vertical distance and sometimes you won't even need to recover as you'll snap the ledge that way.
Late response, but do you know any videos with the bolded part? I tried incorporating all 3 of those things into my game and took your advice (Still can't do an OoS Nair kill though, really hard for me to land), but I still had a hard time playing DH recently and I don't even know what those techniques are supposed to look like, and I think I'm doing them wrong.

Spirst

Late response, but do you know any videos with the bolded part? I tried incorporating all 3 of those things into my game and took your advice (Still can't do an OoS Nair kill though, really hard for me to land), but I still had a hard time playing DH recently and I don't even know what those techniques are supposed to look like, and I think I'm doing them wrong.
No, I've yet to see videos using that mobility option well. Shorthopping clay pigeons is pretty straightforward as is cans. You can also b-reverse cans.

What I meant is having a can out and then SHing either away or towards the other player while pressing B to shoot the can. You can time the can to be shot right in front of them which would probably instigate a shield leading to a grab follow-up. There's a lot of mindgames you can do with the can to add pressure and make them unsure of how to react. Additionally, you can foxtrot while shooting a can.

I'll probably have some replays of my own games soon as I use this quite a bit.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
No, I've yet to see videos using that mobility option well. Shorthopping clay pigeons is pretty straightforward as is cans. You can also b-reverse cans.

What I meant is having a can out and then SHing either away or towards the other player while pressing B to shoot the can. You can time the can to be shot right in front of them which would probably instigate a shield leading to a grab follow-up. There's a lot of mindgames you can do with the can to add pressure and make them unsure of how to react. Additionally, you can foxtrot while shooting a can.

I'll probably have some replays of my own games soon as I use this quite a bit.
Makes more sense, thanks. Can't wait to see those replays of yours if ya ever get around to them! If you're up for any matches this week, you could help me out that way too. We didn't get to play that other weekend after all.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Me and guy were on the xanadu stream tuesday, though only guy was worth watching =p I got bodied. Became a real basic ***** and crumbled under the pressure of the cameras. Was the first smash tournament I entered I actually cared about winning. Simply could not function, gave away fthrow to fair followups to down air a lot for some reason.

Was also real upset I lost to seagull joe and I shouldn't have, he kept falling for my traps hard but was still reacting from default controls and clay pigeoned when I wanted to fsmash.

Gonna be playing with boss all weekend, hope I can level up a bit. Still working on my control scheme, only issue is short hop nair. Dunno if i wanna just power through the Y/B option or get used to using X as my jump button and Y as my attack so i can slip off to a/y for closer to macro movements.

I definitely believe DH isn't as good/easy with the default set-up. Good B-reversing, reverse short hop pigeons is much easier with A set to specials. I also feel like the detonator button should naturally be our most prominent button on the controller since it is by far the most pressed one and in need of precision.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Was also real upset I lost to seagull joe and I shouldn't have, he kept falling for my traps hard but was still reacting from default controls and clay pigeoned when I wanted to fsmash.
Johns. If you shouldn't have lost then you would have won. I won 2-0 through just reading you. I also didn't realize I could hit the can back at this time period.

As a side note: I thought your :4duckhunt: was better then Guy's. I think it's because he didn't camp lol.
:018:

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Me and guy were on the xanadu stream tuesday, though only guy was worth watching =p I got bodied. Became a real basic ***** and crumbled under the pressure of the cameras. Was the first smash tournament I entered I actually cared about winning. Simply could not function, gave away fthrow to fair followups to down air a lot for some reason.

Gonna be playing with boss all weekend, hope I can level up a bit. Still working on my control scheme, only issue is short hop nair. Dunno if i wanna just power through the Y/B option or get used to using X as my jump button and Y as my attack so i can slip off to a/y for closer to macro movements.

I definitely believe DH isn't as good/easy with the default set-up. Good B-reversing, reverse short hop pigeons is much easier with A set to specials. I also feel like the detonator button should naturally be our most prominent button on the controller since it is by far the most pressed one and in need of precision.
I'd love to play some Duck Hunt dittos. I saw ya at Xanadu, but didn't realize it was you (still used to the powerhouse name, haha).

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How's this?

vs. :4megaman:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-x6pXMeQwQ&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=5
vs. :4link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD-_W9JXFRA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=6
vs. :4wario2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ejR7eFIoA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=7
vs. :rosalina:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptuiKNKBBMw&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=8
vs. :4ganondorf:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpi_feLr4g&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=10

Winter Break is coming in awhile in school for me, so I may have a chance to actually enter a tournament for once and I wanna use my :4duckhunt:, but I wanna know how well I'm doing beforehand. I'm definitely not using Lucina this time, so DHD is one of my few options. Any proper critique/advice would be awesome, thanks.

All matches are done in for glory btw, and I also got a video later with me getting bodied by an :4myfriends: player (don't know the matchup against him very well).

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
With the update ruining replays soon, gonna be uploading a lot of my stuff from anther's ladder and other stuff. Maybe a small combo/montage video, though I don't feel I have enough quality content for a real good one.

If anyone's okay with my cam-quality recordings like I posted before, feel free to send me some DHD stuff you'd like recorded. Only catch is I get permission to use it in a possible compilation video ;) (will give credit ofc)

It is a really good camera ($300 nikon slr), the original videos actually were done under sub-par conditions though. (light kept changing cause dad was working on the window behind me) Will do it in total dark next time.
What's your name on the ladder? I frequent it as well!

I also was wondering if the vids had to be new ones? Some of my best matches I've shared here already from the 3DS version.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I mean I posted that before the wii u version lol

I don't think working in some 3ds clips would be too hard. Though I'd prefer some Wii U ones with it now lol I have a capture card for that, not sure if we can share those replays tho

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am beginning to think that the reason DHD doesn't cancel out from his recovery move is because the NES Zapper player can still shoot the can with the B button while the duo are flying away. That said, I wish DHD can still throw a new can with the B button while flying with the duck... and that DHD can cance out from his recovery move with the A button.

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
I would love to play some Duck Hunt dittos. I'm looking at you, @CourageHound! If anyone is down for some dittos though, shoot me a reply and I'll get back to ya. Happy Hunting!~

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I would love to play some Duck Hunt dittos. I'm looking at you, @CourageHound! If anyone is down for some dittos though, shoot me a reply and I'll get back to ya. Happy Hunting!~
I got news for you and its:

Anytime this weekend. Don't get to do a lot of Duck Hunt dittos myself.

EDIT: Now if anyone can look at my new videos I uploaded awhile ago and give me a little advice, I'd be grateful.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
How's this?

vs. :4megaman:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-x6pXMeQwQ&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=5
vs. :4link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD-_W9JXFRA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=6
vs. :4wario2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ejR7eFIoA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=7
vs. :rosalina:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptuiKNKBBMw&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=8
vs. :4ganondorf:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpi_feLr4g&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=10

Winter Break is coming in awhile in school for me, so I may have a chance to actually enter a tournament for once and I wanna use my :4duckhunt:, but I wanna know how well I'm doing beforehand. I'm definitely not using Lucina this time, so DHD is one of my few options. Any proper critique/advice would be awesome, thanks.

All matches are done in for glory btw, and I also got a video later with me getting bodied by an :4myfriends: player (don't know the matchup against him very well).
Megaman: Don't let him get away so much. Mix-up the edgeguards.

Link: Use can and gunmen as shields, or shield while sending over a can to stop camping for a moment, give you a chance to move. NEVER EVER EVER ROLL INTO LINK EVER. Ever. I'm serious. Link is easy to gimp, don't be scared to jump off stage.

Wario: Excellent!

RosaLuma: Did alright, though she wasn't the best Rosalina, forgot her gravitational pull. If she had been using it, you would have had to mix up playstyles a ton.

Ganon: Never try to out power Ganon, you will almost always lose the trade. Don't go for the up-air unless you are sure you won't be Dair or Wizard's Footed. Just abuse his speed and get lots of chip damage. When he's off stage, just set-up, to avoid the suicide and keep your lead.

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
I got news for you and its:

Anytime this weekend. Don't get to do a lot of Duck Hunt dittos myself.

EDIT: Now if anyone can look at my new videos I uploaded awhile ago and give me a little advice, I'd be grateful.
I am absolutely down for this :D

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The duck hunt ditto is awful if it's really serious, the first one to get the kill wins. You can totally lock out the other DH and time him out because your projectiles crash, and the more offensive projectiles lose. (You can just sit behind a can, bl This is especially easy on battlefield, Yoshi's island, and probably others with platforms overhead because you can just sit behind a can which blocks pigeon, low can and platform blocks high can. All you gotta worry about is pigeon/gunmen popping can towards you.

Definitely get used to it for game 1s if DH is your main but I severely suggest picking up a secondary to deal with DH.

I'd like to get used to them myself but only if we're playing super serious because I don't want to get bad habits for the ditto, it's totally different than regular matches. There's two other really good DHs just at the xanadu weeklies.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Oh wow I didn't even realize that was you at first. I wish I had known, I'd have been all AAAAAAAAAAYYYEEEE

But nah you played DK didn't you? For DK against DHD, that's a hard ass matchup. I can commend you for doing as well as you did. Plus yeah, cameras and etc can make anyone nervous. I still do to this day.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Oh wow I didn't even realize that was you at first. I wish I had known, I'd have been all AAAAAAAAAAYYYEEEE

But nah you played DK didn't you? For DK against DHD, that's a hard *** matchup. I can commend you for doing as well as you did. Plus yeah, cameras and etc can make anyone nervous. I still do to this day.
Nah I didn't play DK I play DH. You commentated the match smash god bodied me.

Didn't go this week cause I'm going back to default controls and not used to them yet. A to special didn't work out as well as I thought.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Nah I didn't play DK I play DH. You commentated the match smash god bodied me.

Didn't go this week cause I'm going back to default controls and not used to them yet. A to special didn't work out as well as I thought.
Oh derp. My bad. Well, either way, I have horrible memory.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
The duck hunt ditto is awful if it's really serious, the first one to get the kill wins. You can totally lock out the other DH and time him out because your projectiles crash, and the more offensive projectiles lose. (You can just sit behind a can, bl This is especially easy on battlefield, Yoshi's island, and probably others with platforms overhead because you can just sit behind a can which blocks pigeon, low can and platform blocks high can. All you gotta worry about is pigeon/gunmen popping can towards you.

Definitely get used to it for game 1s if DH is your main but I severely suggest picking up a secondary to deal with DH.

I'd like to get used to them myself but only if we're playing super serious because I don't want to get bad habits for the ditto, it's totally different than regular matches. There's two other really good DHs just at the xanadu weeklies.
I think you should just learn the ditto. It's all a mental battle so the better player will win.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Well like I said it's worth learning but it's really a little more complicated than "the better player winning" too.
Well yeah that's how dittos work. Learn from all the DHD's in your region though, Guy is pretty good & he can help you. I watched your games, and I recommend you work on your fundamentals in general and setups w/ DHD more.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Well yeah that's how dittos work. Learn from all the DHD's in your region though, Guy is pretty good & he can help you. I watched your games, and I recommend you work on your fundamentals in general and setups w/ DHD more.
I'm definitely learning from guy, and all other duck hunts I can find. Though I wouldn't put too much stock in that match in regards to my usual set-ups. I just switched to tap jump off and A to special B to attack the night before so I was very mechanical. Also why I skipped this week's xanadu.

Still working on my control scheme, hope it works out. (That one didn't work out at all :G)

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I'm definitely learning from guy, and all other duck hunts I can find. Though I wouldn't put too much stock in that match in regards to my usual set-ups. I just switched to tap jump off and A to special B to attack the night before so I was very mechanical. Also why I skipped this week's xanadu.

Still working on my control scheme, hope it works out. (That one didn't work out at all :G)
Ok, gl in finding your control schemes. I recommend to find one & stick to it, because you will need to build muscle memory which is very important. Watch Brood, Duck, Guy, & MVD if you get lost.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Ok, gl in finding your control schemes. I recommend to find one & stick to it, because you will need to build muscle memory which is very important. Watch Brood, Duck, Guy, & MVD if you get lost.
Yea I figured it was best to decide on it early.

I essentially stole a control scheme P:M players use, hope it works out.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qISLi6MKUQs&list=UUAB3V5qkvUKbjygS2IgibVw

Any advice for meh Duck Hunt Dog? (Note that it's the 3DS Version)
For starters, maybe try to position the camera better next time? It was kinda shaky and only a portion of the screen is visible, makes it kinda hard to see everything happening.. for me at least. It'd also be easier to give advice if you had more than one video too... As for actual advice...

• I think you used smashes a little too much... a bad use of one cost you your first stock since that Link punished you with it..
  • Man you went deeeep for your Dair spike on the loss of your 2nd stock, a little too deep (plus you used up your double jump).
  • You let him return to the stage too easily. Its great to try and edgeguard him with cans and all, but considering who you were facing (Link's recovery sucks), I'd personally prefer to mix it up with Bair or fair edgeguards too. Maybe a stage spike would've hammered him home to
  • Fthrow > Dash Attack/Fair, try that combo sometime
  • You had a tendency to use Nair pretty close to the ground to break some of his combos at least once or twice... you kinda got him, but I think Fair would be better since it has more range and less lag.
  • Maybe use a tad more mobility? Shorthop towards or away from him before throwing projectiles to add some more pressure, gunmen and cans work decently as shields against his projectiles too (you probably already know that though). Even if you can't hit him with one, the can still force him to cease fire with his projectiles by shielding it or attempting to knock it away, which'll give you sometime to move..

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
For starters, maybe try to position the camera better next time? It was kinda shaky and only a portion of the screen is visible, makes it kinda hard to see everything happening.. for me at least. It'd also be easier to give advice if you had more than one video too... As for actual advice...

• I think you used smashes a little too much... a bad use of one cost you your first stock since that Link punished you with it..
  • Man you went deeeep for your Dair spike on the loss of your 2nd stock, a little too deep (plus you used up your double jump).
  • You let him return to the stage too easily. Its great to try and edgeguard him with cans and all, but considering who you were facing (Link's recovery sucks), I'd personally prefer to mix it up with Bair or fair edgeguards too. Maybe a stage spike would've hammered him home to
  • Fthrow > Dash Attack/Fair, try that combo sometime
  • You had a tendency to use Nair pretty close to the ground to break some of his combos at least once or twice... you kinda got him, but I think Fair would be better since it has more range and less lag.
  • Maybe use a tad more mobility? Shorthop towards or away from him before throwing projectiles to add some more projectiles, gunmen and cans work decently as shields against his projectiles too (you probably already know that though). Even if you can't hit him with one, the can still force him to cease fire with his projectiles by shielding it or attempting to knock it away, which'll give you sometime to move..
Sorry the Camera sucked it will be way better when I learn how to stream sometime this month. (Thanks for the advice btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom