• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Man, I really like the fact that I've had a bit of SF/Ryu experience prior to this. Not enough to really be good at the games I mainly played (SSF43D/Tatsunoko v Capcom), but enough to know the inputs to Ryu's moves.

Feels really rewarding to use the classic versions of Ryu's moves. Not even in terms of damage, but putting in that tricky forward > down > down-forward and hearing "SHOOOOOOOORYUKEN!"

Man I wish people would stop comparing Ryu to Little Mac

Like, what???
I mean, they're two characters that punch, right?

:kappa:
why is there no actual kappa

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I've got people calling Ryu op lmao

Tatsu too good nerf now

What a time to pick up Street Fighter, I literally just started playing it a month ago

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Ryu is good but it's day one, so funny when people call him OP already.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Ryu is amazing
There is no doubt in my mind this character is top tier. A at the very least.

He suffers from falling a lot to projectiles (like ROB) and recovery issues, but if he stays on stage and doesn't let you out of his gigantic combo chains he's great.

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
Hello Smashboards, my name is Destin. After Ryu's reveal, I decided to purchase a 3DS and give Smash 4 another go.

Besides Smash, I also play Street Fighter 2 on FightCade and Street Fighter 4 on Xbox. Hit me up if your game in either title.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I am working every single cell in my body to be at least somewhat good with Ryu.

I really want him to be one of my mains.... :(

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
after playing ryu seriously. He has massive potential... He's just hard to use. I will say he's harder to use then Shulk hands down. Hardest character in the game to use? Yes he is. My opinion and I grew up playing street fighter all the way to street fighter 4. So yeah even I'm struggling a tad bit but man he gets some amazing rewards. Also FADC Input SRK=Anyone dies. lol

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Let me ask you, fellow World Warriors. Does Ryu have the best OOS option in the game with Jump Cancelled EX Shoryuken? It's completely invincible and has virtually no landing lag.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not gonna lie

If EVO wasn't around the bend and this character wasn't banned at the event, I would drop my current main, D3, in a heartbeat.

For now I'm going to content myself in learning the ropes and (hopefully) winning a ton of MMs with him.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Man, I can't wait until I can get my hands on an eShop card. Ryu's going to be the first DLC I've bought for anything in a long while.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Ryu is a power house. His combo game is interesting.

I am having a hard time doing srk on the gamecube controller. I guess I'm not use to it. I'm always running forward an doing running A or doing the srk after a dash.

Uair has to be one of his best attacks. Good combo potential in the ground.

Bair is my favs. I'm a sonic main so this puppy is like second nature.

F-smash is so good. That range is killer.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I don't know why, but I keep forgetting to dash cancel the focus attack. I never had this problem in SF. Don't know why I am struggling now :ohwell:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ryu's pretty solid in this game. I think he's about high tier, can't see him any lower than mid-high. He seriously feels like he has SO MUCH reward when he gets in, it's ABSURD what he can do when he's in optimal range.

Definitely why I'm playing him, it's satisfying.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
after playing ryu seriously. He has massive potential... He's just hard to use. I will say he's harder to use then Shulk hands down. Hardest character in the game to use? Yes he is. My opinion and I grew up playing street fighter all the way to street fighter 4. So yeah even I'm struggling a tad bit but man he gets some amazing rewards. Also FADC Input SRK=Anyone dies. lol
After playing Ryu, I came to a completely different opinion: PLEASE let me choose which Monado-power i have with SF-style button inputs instead of having to cycle through them with goddamn neutral B... Would be a lot easier D:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
After playing Ryu, I came to a completely different opinion: PLEASE let me choose which Monado-power i have with SF-style button inputs instead of having to cycle through them with goddamn neutral B... Would be a lot easier D:
Really? I think Shulk's is significantly easier. Especially under lag.

I love playing Ryu, but lag makes him almost unplayable.... :4ryu:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Really? I think Shulk's is significantly easier. Especially under lag.

I love playing Ryu, but lag makes him almost unplayable.... :4ryu:
I was mostly talking about selecting Shulk's Arts. It is so damn frustrating trying to do that mid-air or while trying to do something different...Wrong inputs galore. I still don't know why they didn't make it press, wait till the one you want comes up, press again to choose the arts, or hold-get a ringmenu to select-release. I don't even want to count the times i have side-b suicided off stage because i was trying to somehow get away from an enemy while selecting an Art... Doing quarter-circle forward+A to directly change to buster, for example, would be so conveniant X)

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So not going to lie, I was originally going to co-main Roy alongside Mario, but ever since I tried out Ryu for a bit, and have fallen in love with his CQC (much like Mario's), I think I might seriously pick up this character. Looking to be my favorite newcomer/DLC character so far.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Maybe it's because you needed meter to do that in SFIV.

You can do it on hit and block in this game too.

And does it annoy anyone else that you can't do blocked Shoryu < FADC in this? I guess it would be too good cause Ryu would have so many options after that, but still.

Last edited:

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
Ryu would need a SUPER Bar for that to happen. Letting him Dragon Punch < FADC for free would have been too powerful.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Why is Ryu so much fun?

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I still love smash, but this just takes the cake. Who do i main; Luigi, Robin, or Ryu?

I've played Ultra Street Fighter 4 Competitively, so I think I've got a little edge.

His new tilt and combo mechanics are soooo cool!

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I haven't tried him out yet, but I feel like I'd have a hard time playing Ryu since I'm so use to having range with Shulk. I guess I can play scrubby Ganon and Mac like a scrub and still win For Glory. I don't really like playing Shotos in fighting games either. At least I can do inputs though.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Ooooo @ Galaxian Galaxian a fellow Ontarian!

I've been absent from the boards for a while, but Ryu brought me back. Knew this would be the place to read up before I lab tonight with him. I'm used to a bit faster movements with Falcon, but Ryu feels very fluid and nice to use for the little I have used him. Its also fun to mess around and just throw Hadoukens around the screen

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Is it bad that I immediately put Gouken's dubbed/English VA over Ryu's whenever I see/do Shin Shoryuken? One of the most hilarious bits of voice acting I've ever stumbled across, and it always makes me chuckle.

"Got you! Shin! Shooooooorrrryuken."

Smooth Criminal

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Welp just bodied the hell out of someone on for glory.
Up Tilited(soft) twice and canceled into focus attack(level 1) baiting an air dodge/attack comboed into down air and spiked him. Greatest thing I've done with the character.

Last edited:

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Is it bad that I immediately put Gouken's dubbed/English VA over Ryu's whenever I see/do Shin Shoryuken? One of the most hilarious bits of voice acting I've ever stumbled across, and it always makes me chuckle.

"Got you! Shin! Shooooooorrrryuken."

Smooth Criminal
I like Ryu's Smash Voice. A lot actually.

Its not bad, just I don't see it (and I still play Ultra Street Fighter 4!)

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
In possibly the least important thing to ever be asked about a character, what damned color should I play with!? haha I always feel lame playing Vanilla Ryu, the orange/Ken look isn't for me...I need some flaaare

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
In possibly the least important thing to ever be asked about a character, what damned color should I play with!? haha I always feel lame playing Vanilla Ryu, the orange/Ken look isn't for me...I need some flaaare
Pure White (I think from his Alpha costume) or Blue. I'm going to be using blue probably.

Top Bottom