• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shorthop: Shortcut VS Execution?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I have always been pretty bad at short hopping. It's something I can do semi reliably in an isolated space, but when in an actual fight the idea of quickly pushing a button lightly never clicked in my head. So when they added a button shortcut letting you short hop by pressing two jump buttons at once, I got right on that and used it for a while.

The issue I find is that because I am pressing two buttons at once, certain inputs feel a bit more clunky, and something about it feels slower, though that could be my imagination. (I am currently using Y + Z to short hop). I'm wondering if this button short cut is more of a crutch than anything, and if I should go into some serious practice for performing a shorthop with one button.

I am a slow learner, so the later would be quite the time investment, so I am wondering what the community thinks. Does the short hop shortcut work just fine? Or is it a fundamentally flawed tool?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I practiced for a bit back during Melee and never had much of a problem since, even skipping Smash 4. I can shorthop with one button pretty well.

I don't want a two button shortcut. I want dedicated short hop and full hop buttons. Whatever numbskull decided to overload two different jumps onto a single jump button AND THEN DUPLICATE THAT ONTO A REDUNDANT BUTTON is a ****ing moron.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I would say... Just practice the singular input. Short hopping is tedious but it's really just a muscle memory dilemma. If you dedicate some time in training mode to perfecting your movement, it should come pretty easy. Above all else learn to adapt in the scenario of a mis-input full jump.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I practiced for a bit back during Melee and never had much of a problem since, even skipping Smash 4. I can shorthop with one button pretty well.

I don't want a two button shortcut. I want dedicated short hop and full hop buttons. Whatever numbskull decided to overload two different jumps onto a single jump button AND THEN DUPLICATE THAT ONTO A REDUNDANT BUTTON is a ****ing moron.
I would have like this too, and what I dream of in my head when training. If you can have two buttons to jump, you could just divide their features

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933

I would have like this too, and what I dream of in my head when training. If you can have two buttons to jump, you could just divide their features.

SmashLink97

Smash Rookie
I mapped my jump buttons to y and a and if i want to short hop i press both buttons with my thumb (on a gamecube controller this is relatively easy) and I map attack to the x button. With that I can short hop really consistently and I am nowhere near 'good' at smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom