• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping out of shine...

MomBomb

Smash Rookie
i have at the hardest time short hopping out of shine. I have the habit of hitting up on the joystick in order to jump out of shine and its hard and inconsistent getting a short hop. Is X or Y the standard for full or short hopping out of shine?

yohobojz

Smash Cadet
I think tap jump out of shine is only good for Shine --> Upsmash (which you will almost never use), Shine --> Up B stall on the ledge, and Shine --> Grab (which you should use A LOT). Otherwise you should probably only use x or y whichever you use to short hop normally. For shine bair at high percents too you can use tap jump

Zenox

Smash Cadet
I'd use x or y. Control stick is just so much less consistent. Plus you should really be using wave dash out of shine (for most scenarios). Allows for MUCH quicker followups.

daftHERO

Smash Cadet
You have to train your muscle memory to start using x or y. It isn't hard, it wont take long, you just have to be persistent. I have retrained my self in the past to use 'better button' options, so you should be able to do it too. As for shine grab and shine upsmash, I use the control stick to JC.

LilBro

Smash Rookie
I use Y for everything except shine-up-b ledgestall, shine-Bair, and jump cancels.

Last edited:

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
Since playing this game I have tried my hardest to dedicate Y to full jumps and X to short hops. So for a shield-pressure pillar I'll flick X off the side of the controller, and for when the pillar in the shine hits and launchs them up I'll full jump out of shine with Y.

-Dubs

Smash Cadet
Y is closer to B than X, and multishining with X is hard because you can accidently hit the A button while doing so.

Top Bottom