• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hop Spin Dash?

ThePuffMan

Smash Rookie
Hello, Sonic mains! I have been practicing some sonic techniques recently (such as ISDJ and c-bounce). Anyway, I have seen what looks to be a short spin dash jump. I'll try my best to describe what I saw: Spin dash > hit opponent > jump with a very small height rather than a full spin dash jump. I have seen it a few times to put on alot more shield pressure than normal. How do I perform this tech? Thanks.

watch this video at 11:39 for one example I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjQKBxoQ-hQ
Notice how 6wx uses a small hop version of spin dash and craftis performed a back air where a regular spin dash would have gone. Since 6wx used a short hop version, craftis' back air missed.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There are two ways.

Tap "jump" on landing. If you have no double jump and you land with a spin it's even easier to perform as the "tap" input is less strict.

The version 6WX did in that example though is done the other way.

When you do a Slow Spin Roll or Lyric Roll or Whatever (which is performed by either doing a low charge spin or when something collides with spin to slow you down) you can just tap jump right before the spin roll would fizzle out and he does a low to the ground spin jump which is amazing at mixing up your aerial movement, doing shield damage, and putting you at better stage positioning.

In that clip, 6WX hit his shield (multi-hit) which initiates the slow roll, and right before it goes out he does the jump.

:093:

ThePuffMan

Smash Rookie
Ah thank you Camalange. You mentioned "tap jump on landing" in the first method. I can only initiate a short spin jump if i tap jump when the spin dash hop hits the ground? I hope I am not confusing terms here. Basically: Spin dash > the automatic spin dash hop > "tap jump on landing" > short spin jump.

Essentially, I can't roll awhile then initiate a short spin jump?
Thanks again.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ah thank you Camalange. You mentioned "tap jump on landing" in the first method. I can only initiate a short spin jump if i tap jump when the spin dash hop hits the ground? I hope I am not confusing terms here. Basically: Spin dash > the automatic spin dash hop > "tap jump on landing" > short spin jump.

Essentially, I can't roll awhile then initiate a short spin jump?
Thanks again.
Not quite. Like I said, there are two ways.

In your first example, you are correct. But you can also get the short hop if you tap jump your landing from an aerial spin roll too, doesn't have to just be the Side-B "auto hop".

You can initiate a short spin jump from a roll, using the example I cited about slow spins and shield stun. Reread the post and see if it makes sense.

:093:

ThePuffMan

Smash Rookie
Ah yes, I see it now. Thank you. I will try to incorporate this movement mixup into my gameplay. Thanks!

Top Bottom