• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hop mechanics chat

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
First off, it's great to be back in the boards!!

So one of the new mechanics is pressing jump and a at the same time to perform instant shirt hop aerials. You can do it with any directional or neutral air attack.

We're talking instant shorthop dairs for combo, and fairs for quick meteors.

I was hoping to get a chat going on the new combo opportunity of this mechanic.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
It's less of a new mechanic and more of a way to mess with our inputs afaik
You could do the same thing in Smash 4 by buffering the attack during jumpsquat, so if there's any new combos it'd be due to the moves rather than the shorthop mechanic.

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
This mechanic hinders the possibility of doing in an easier way some combos (like late utilt into fullhop fair) more than helping us, I hope they'll put an option to disable it

SonicShin

Smash Rookie
What are the disadvantages of this new feature? I'm trying to do sonic fair combos and its hard to do without this feature.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
What are the disadvantages of this new feature? I'm trying to do sonic fair combos and its hard to do without this feature.
Can't do buffered full hop aerials, since it automatically makes it a short hop no matter how long you press the jump button. Not sure what else, though.

SonicShin

Smash Rookie
Can't do buffered full hop aerials, since it automatically makes it a short hop no matter how long you press the jump button. Not sure what else, though.
Then there's no problem when I use this feature for certain combos?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
No problem, it's just a slight mechanical difference compared to games earlier in the series. It does make it slightly harder to use full hop attacks in combos though.

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
Considering how sensitive jump is for short hops, it offers a guaranteed short hop with immediate aerial. The thread is right that it helps other characters more than the yosh, but it's nice to have a guaranteed nair out in like 4 frames. You also do less damage on all short hop aerials.

Top Bottom