• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hop Double Laser with Fox

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
I'm having a lot of trouble with my Fox tech skill. I can do it once, but not consistently. I do a single SHDL, but then I can't slide my thumb back to the Y button comfortably enough, and can't short hop. Any advice?

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Practice, Practice.

Practice.

In summary: Practice.

Edit: Practice stops to look like a real word after typing it enough.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Slide your thumb from the bottom left of Y to B really quickly and press B twice.

Voilà, SHDL

Last edited:
Why even learn SHDL? You make yourself vulnerable for like 30 frames in hopes of doing 5% damage. You give up space. The opponent can get closer to the center of the stage where it's safe and you could be staying farther away from it where it isn't safe

AirFair

Marth tho
I think people just do it when they have space to rack up damage, but it does leave one vulnerable for sure.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
Why even learn SHDL? You make yourself vulnerable for like 30 frames in hopes of doing 5% damage. You give up space. The opponent can get closer to the center of the stage where it's safe and you could be staying farther away from it where it isn't safe
SHDL doesn't make the user lose space, but assuming it did, that would mean that I'm away from the opponent. If I'm away from the opponent, what does it matter that I have 30 frames of vulnerability? Seeing that I have a distance from them, I can't be punished.

EDIT: What about Short Hop Single Laser? Would you prefer that?

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I usually only SHDL or retreating SHDL for swag. In an actual match I'd probably use single laser due to some opponents ducking or being only able to get hit with 1 laser anyways.

That being said, when I perform them, I wouldn't say I slide my fingers to the buttons (especially because I use x to jump). I sort of tap the jump button and quickly get my thumb to the b button asap with minimal lift from the controller. Its sort of a twitch to me. I guess you could say a thumb moves faster in the air than sliding across a surface. I know there's a bunch of ways people do this and the most common I've heard is by short hopping with the analog stick, but that didn't feel natural to me.

Last edited:
SHDL doesn't make the user lose space, but assuming it did, that would mean that I'm away from the opponent. If I'm away from the opponent, what does it matter that I have 30 frames of vulnerability? Seeing that I have a distance from them, I can't be punished.

EDIT: What about Short Hop Single Laser? Would you prefer that?
The average human reaction time is I think 215 ms, which is about 13 frames. By SHDLing, it would give the opponent about 17 frames to do what they want, uninterruptedly, including hitting Fox if they can. Even if they don't hit Fox, they'll have time to regain control of the neutral game. If Fox is at a distance, 1 or both players would have to be near the ledge. If Fox has middle stage and the opponent has their back to the ledge, why not push them off of the stage? If Fox has his back to the ledge, why is he not returning to center stage so he doesn't get gimped?

SHL doesn't fix these problems. Getting up close an fighting is usually better

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
What if I SHDL while moving across the stage?

Last edited:

ButterSoftly

Smash Rookie
There are no tricks, just have to practice and be faster. SHDL won't make or break your gameplay by any means, there are much more important things to be focusing on

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
You can always try jumping with up. I don't recommend it but it may at least help you learn the timing. SHDL helps a ton against big/tall characters and people who are also short hopping or rising/falling in general. I don't see how you would get punished any differently from double lasering in the wrong place versus doing it in the wrong place with a single laser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom