• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hop air dodges

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
I heard that it was possible for a couple of characters to do a short hop air dodge without getting landing lag. Can someone please tell me who these characters are?

Last edited:

Kradzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kradzilla
I don't have a list but you can check each character by checking their short hop air time and comparing it with their short hop FAF (first actionable frame? Ithink). Basically, if the short hop air time is a longer duration (measured in frames) than the short hop FAF, then you can short hop air dodge without landing lag. There are some interesting cases like meta knight, greninja, sheik, and captain falcon, where the FAF is very close to equal or flat out equal to the short hop air time. In these cases, you have to buffer an aerial that will autocancel after the air dodge so that you land without landing lag. For example, I play meta knight and I short hop air dodge a lot, but I always input a c-stick up-air, down-air, or back-air before I hit the ground to cancel the lag. It takes practice, but once you get the timing right you can get it 100% of the time it's pretty easy.

You can find frame data for every character at kuroganehammer.com

Generally, floaties almost are always in the category that can short hop air dodge with out landing lag, or even short hop air dodge and land with an aeiral, like toon link, marth, and mario. Fast fallers usually either must input an auto cancel aerial, or can't do it at all. I belive Roy and Fox are examples of characters that straight up can't do it. Roy can do it only on lylat if he drifts towards the lower end of the stage while it's tilting. Not 100% sure about fox though, or other characters in this category.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
If I read Kurogane Hammer correctly, these are the categories:

Can: :4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4mewtwo::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario2::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
Requires autocancel: :4falcon::4charizard::4falco::4greninja::4lucas::4metaknight:
Can't: :4bowser::4fox::4ganondorf::4link::4megaman::4feroy::4ryu:
For the characters that require autocancel, the moves that will work are:
:4falcon:: All except Uair
:4charizard::4falco::4greninja:: All
:4lucas:: Bair
:4metaknight:: All except Fair

Kradzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kradzilla
If I read Kurogane Hammer correctly, these are the categories:

Can: :4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4mewtwo::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario2::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
Requires autocancel: :4falcon::4charizard::4falco::4greninja::4lucas::4metaknight:
Can't: :4bowser::4fox::4ganondorf::4link::4megaman::4feroy::4ryu:
For the characters that require autocancel, the moves that will work are:
:4falcon:: All except Uair
:4charizard::4falco::4greninja:: All
:4lucas:: Bair
:4metaknight:: All except Fair
Bowser is weird because he technically can if he cancels it with a special move

Top Bottom