• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot the Core! Gradius / Parodius for Smash!

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice

Konami's Gradius series is one of the most historically important shoot-'em-up franchises in the world, and arguably one of the most recognizable in its genre, alongside the likes of R-Type and Darius. Despite being an ongoing concern in Japan and one of the oldest video game genres, shoot-'em-ups aren't represented in Smash. Given that Konami has already lent out their Castlevania characters for representation in the series, it's not crazy to think they'd be willing to give up something from Gradius as well, especially considering that they've done nothing with the IP lately.

One of the main issues with getting a Gradius character in Smash is that Gradius doesn't really have recognizable characters; the closest they have are the spaceships themselves, which would probably be too awkward to implement as anything more then Assist Trophies. But this is where Parodius comes in. Parodius is a series that, as the name implies, parodies Gradius by producing colorful, bizarre shoot-'em-ups with comical characters and enemies. Parodius is developed by Konami as well, and there's a lot of crossover between the two series. Most importantly, in the Parodius series you play as actual characters, which could perfectly make for a playable fighter in Smash. So with that said, let's go over our options:

Vic Viper

Vic Viper is the "main" spaceship of the Gradius series, and the most recognizable by fans. In the more cartoony Parodius series, he's turned into a sentient character of his own. However, it's hard to believe that Sakurai would choose to implement this character in his Gradius or Parodius versions; Vic Viper seems better-suited for Assist Trophy status.

Moai

Moai--an actual Moai head statue like the ones on Easter Island--is a recurring enemy in the Gradius/Parodius series and the unofficial franchise mascot. Moai has appeared as a Gradius representative in various crossover games, including Konami Krazy Racers (pictured above) and the platform fighter DreamMix TV: World Fighters (gameplay). In most of these appearances, Moai appears as an actual Moai head statue that shuffles around, firing energy rings and lasers as in the original series. It's possible Sakurai would choose this character, as he has traditionally been the series representative, although it would take some work to give him a full-fledged Smash moveset.

Takosuke

Takosuke is a floating cartoon octopus and a recurring character in the Parodius series. He's also the default protagonist of Jikyou Oshaberi Parodius, released initially for the Super Famicom. Like the other characters on this list, Takosuke has access to different shot formations via options, a vast array of power-ups, and a bomb. His younger brother Takohiko and childhood friend Belial could easily appear as alts.

Pentarou

Pentarou is the recurring protagonist of the Parodius series, a gun-toting, flying penguin. His girlfriend Hanako could easily appear as an alt costume as well. Pentarou is a recurring playable character, so he could use all the various shot options and bombs of the Gradius and Parodius series, summoning various ships and characters as assists via special moves. To me, this would probably be the most appropriate character choice to represent Gradius and Parodius as a whole, especially considering that Pentarou has also appeared in various other Konami crossovers, and has connections to non-Gradius Konami games like Yume Penguin Monogatari.

Hikaru and Akane

Hikaru and Akane are a pair of rocket-riding bunny girls, and also recurring playable characters in the Parodius games; unsurprisingly, they are the protagonists of Sexy Parodius. Hikaru and Akane are fan-favorite series characters, which would make them eligible for inclusion, though they might be a little too sexy for Smash. I guess if Bayonetta can get in (albeit with many aspects toned down) it's also possible for Hikaru and Akane (as palette swaps of each other) to make it.

Why should they be in Smash?

As I said, the Gradius series has significant importance and influence and Japanese video games as a whole. It's one of Konami's most important classic series alongside the likes of Contra and Castlevania. It's unlikely that we'll get an obscure retro curveball character such as this as part of Smash's DLC, but not impossible.

How would they play?

In order to honor Gradius and Parodius's shoot-'em-up gameplay style, the character should be easy to launch, have excellent air mobility/recovery, and access to a variety of projectiles, making them a light zoner. The character's Neutral Special could be a ranged shot, with properties and formations that change by accessing different "Options" through other specials, giving them the ability to control space like almost no other character. They could also have access to bombs and/or the ability to summon other characters from the game as persistent assist characters, who would shoot at enemies consistently until they disappear.

Supporters List:
cj.
PsychoJosh
tonygameman
Kirbeh

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Also supporting this! Sakurai may probably take up creative liberties to give Vic Viper a unique moveset.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Character or not I'd be down for any Gradius content getting into Smash. Support.

Surprised there's no mention of Tako or Takosuke though. I honestly don't like them very much, but the octopi are considered main characters as well so I think they deserve a mention as potential candidates too.

As for Moai, I honestly think it'd fit great as special move. You could summon Moai to serve as turret of sorts, or they could have it follow around like a Smash Bros. version of Strider's Ouroboros from MvC. If not that, Moai would work well as an assist or item too. Moai is probably the most versatile in terms of roles it could fill, so I'd honestly prefer the fighter spot go to Vic or Hikaru/Akane.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Added! You're right about Takosuke, I've added him to the OP.

I think it would even be possible to have a general "Parodius" character that rides a miniature version of the Vic Viper, with each character being an alt, in the style of Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
I've always thought that Vic Viper should be able to transform from its Gradius/Parodius design to its Zone of the Enders one in order to better implement a moveset for it.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Bump. I sorta think other ships like Lord British, Falchion Beta and Jade Knight would be referenced as Vic Viper's palettes (of course LB is a straight second-player clone in its debut Salamander, unless we're talking about its own weapons on it being a Echo Fighter).

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'd be game for Parodius/Gradius representation in Smash. If I remember, Gradius actually had characters piloting the ships, James Burton piloted the Vic Viper and Lord British piloted the ship of the same name. There's not very many screenshots of them which is why the planes are more remembered. I would love playing as a Parodius character such as Tarosuke or a Moai since they have a lot of personality in their design. Maybe the Moai could use a mini Vic Viper in one of his moves. ;) (I heard of Parodius and played a little Gradius. Parodius is high on my list of shmups I wanna play one day.)

Top Bottom