• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sho-Guarding, A Guide to Donkey Kong's Up B Edgeguarding (Video)

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Been saying I would do this for awhile and I've finally been able to finish it!! This is one of the two threads (The other I'll put in the combo vid section in video discussion) that I will have for linking my video to smashboards.com about up b edgeguarding (so it doesn't feel like spam). I made a post acouple of weeks back titled Up B edgeguarding, its advantages, and how I didn't see many people using it. I got alot of comments explaining how alot of people use it and I should watch CJ vids. I've seen alot of CJ's vids and seen the method he used for Up B edgeguarding is different from the way I was trying to state. Seeing as my vocabulary sucks, I made a vid showing exactly what I ment when I tried to explain the method of Up-B edgeguarding. I also didn't put this inside of that thread also because this is a guide and the other thread was just stating the idea.

"Sho-Guarding" is a simply releasing from a ledge and using your Up B to keep the opponent off the stage. Grabbing the edge and releasing with either down or back can determine the positioning of where you want to use your Up B for edgeguarding (Down for lower angles and back for higher angles). If used correctly, you can keep the opponent off the ledge without taking any damage and set up for other edgeguard moves (usually BAir). Here's the video that can better explain this:

Sho-Guarding (A Donkey Kong Guide to Up B Edgeguarding): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN4fLvfPz2M

I know others know probably have tried this technique but I don't think it's been viewed as being an very effective move so I put this video and guide togather to show it's effectivness. Feel free to leave comments and suggestions on what you guys think about it.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Nice attempt, but I don't think that one of DK's most basic skills needs an entire vide guide.

Protip: don't name things after yourself, especially such commonly used moves.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Sho-Guarding? DK players have done this for years lol. They just call it "ledge drop to spin" or simply "up B edgeguard.

Still, cute video. Thanks for putting it up.

The term Sho-Guard is the only thing I'm not comfortable with, sounds very funny and it's weird to think not enough people has seen this as a effective edgeguard in the past 6 years of owning the game.
one of DK's most basic skills
See? :p

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Ah ok then, my apologies, but I haven't seen many vids of it.

Thanks for the complements for the vid anyways btw. :D

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten a few comments on this vid, and none of them really bad. Should I post this guide in the combo vid section? (thought i'd ask first) Seems like some tension got stirred up cause I named the vid sho-guard. I'm trying to be respectful with the vid and stuff, but I still feel there's alot of DK players out there that still don't know how useful this type of edgeguard can be(I showed some guys the other day that alt's DK and they never knew it was such a good edge guard technique). So before I go randomly posting stuff I wanna ask some of the more known DK players out there what should I do. I really don't see a problem with it, but like I said, alittle tension risen because of it's name and I wanted to clarify what you guys think?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Nah, go ahead. In fact, I'm making a video about comboing with the up-air. I call it "Andy-Comboing."

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Nah, go ahead. In fact, I'm making a video about comboing with the up-air. I call it "Andy-Comboing."
I don't know rather or not to take that comment as sarcasim or not. But yea, there's still DK's out there that still doesn't know of the full potential of this technique.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well I liked the vid and this should help up-and-coming DK players decently. I barely considered using up+b as an edgeguard before...then again my DK is average :p

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Take it as "insightful sarcasm." It's up to you--the name is not going to catch on, and people are going to continue to complain about it. I'm having trouble imaging seriously trying to name something after myself like that. I can't believe you don't feel just a little bit silly.

Other than that, yes, I think people will find the video helpful. And if the name does catch on, well, I'll just slap my forehead.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Just post it. If it'll help new dk's learn a new technique, then go for it. I wouldn't expect the name to catch on, but the vid is still a good learning aid for new dk players...

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
kk, cools, it doesn't matter if name catches on, and it will help DK players out there. The original purpose of the vid is to help DK players that don't know how helpful it the up b edgeguard is. I could care less about the name as long as the guide is good and it helps.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Ah ok then, my apologies, but I haven't seen many vids of it.

Thanks for the complements for the vid anyways btw. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrqchlx6Bxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKgzv8cbVo

Two of the first videos I ever saw.

CJ was probably the first to really use it like it is now. However I've yet to see someone use it to the extent I do. If anything it should be called Buttcrusting, or 'crusting for short.

I can see it now, "Oh man, that DK was sick! He was 'crusting all over me. There was nothing I could do."

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrqchlx6Bxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKgzv8cbVo

Two of the first videos I ever saw.

CJ was probably the first to really use it like it is now. However I've yet to see someone use it to the extent I do.
If you read the description you an see that I say 'before posting I know i'm not the inventor of the Up B edgeguard so no post of CJ using it against Musashi, but it seems you did it anyways lol.

If anything it should be called Buttcrusting, or 'crusting for short.

I can see it now, "Oh man, that DK was sick! He was 'crusting all over me. There was nothing I could do."
Well the name I gave it came from the word "Boguard" or however you spell it. I don't know the exact definition but we use it around here as a form of pushing people around. I say shoguard cause it's me using DK as a form of pushing u around, in this case, keep knocking you off the edge.

And like I'll say amillion times it's just a name for the vid and i'm not trying to flame. THe vid has been having progress though, i've got alot of comments that they never thought about using the Up B edgeguard that way (which is the initial idea of the vid).

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you had the nerve to try and name DK's Up B edgeguarding after yourself. Let me spell it out to you, no sarcasm to confuse you: you're ridiculous.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
If you read the description you an see that I say 'before posting I know i'm not the inventor of the Up B edgeguard so no post of CJ using it against Musashi, but it seems you did it anyways lol.
If you're not the inventor, don't try and take credit.

Tha_Shogun_12 said:
I got alot of comments explaining how alot of people use it and I should watch CJ vids. I've seen alot of CJ's vids and seen the method he used for Up B edgeguarding is different from the way I was trying to state.
After turning my speakers off, I discovered "sho-guarding" is exactly what CJ was doing in 2004/2005. I don't see what the difference is, maybe you can enlighten me?

Good try, but I'm afraid your good intentions aren't enough.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe you had the nerve to try and name DK's Up B edgeguarding after yourself. Let me spell it out to you, no sarcasm to confuse you: you're ridiculous.
'sigh' I don't know how many times I have to say I was not naming this move after myself but was just a name for the vid. Just screw it I'm not gonna explain that portion anymore. Rather you like the name or not reguardless it's still a good vid and alot of DK's didn't know about it and now they do. If you don't like the name of the vid then I can't help you there I'm sorry, that's not the purpose of this vid, but to let DK's know about the edgeguarding technique.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
After turning my speakers off, I discovered "sho-guarding" is exactly what CJ was doing in 2004/2005. I don't see what the difference is, maybe you can enlighten me?
The way I use it in the vid was jumping from the ledge and using it repeatedly, showing the invisible frames portion of it and how it is useful. They're self explanitory in the guide. I never really seen CJ use it over and over as a means of humilating the opponent (which is suppose to be funny, but still can build up damage and own). I hope that helps answer your question. It's not disrespect to CJ or anything saying that he doesn't use it. Hope that answers your question.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I don't know if you are being sincere or not, but there is no way to interpret the name of the video other than "Shoguarding is the name of the technique."

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Well if that's the case then just think of it as a name of the move in the vid and nothing else, I'm seriously not trying to cause flaming with this.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'm saying that simply does not happen, no matter how many times you tell people to do it.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to flame you either. Especially since you're from Arkansas. But you make it very clear, here and in your video (which is funny), that you believe the technique should be called "Sho-guarding." So don't try and twist it now and say that's the name of the vid.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Dude, seriously, who cares? Even if he was, obviously at this point thats no longer his intention. The vid is a good way to teach newer DK's a technique that is very useful. Leave the guy alone.

For the record, good job shogun. We need videos to demonstrate certain techniques that give better example when shown, not just read. It would be nice if you could make more demonstrating more techniques, and you call it whatever you want

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Dude, seriously, who cares? Even if he was, obviously at this point thats no longer his intention. The vid is a good way to teach newer DK's a technique that is very useful. Leave the guy alone.

For the record, good job shogun. We need videos to demonstrate certain techniques that give better example when shown, not just read. It would be nice if you could make more demonstrating more techniques, and you call it whatever you want
Thanks man I really appriciate it, I was thinking about making a video about Mario's fireballs and the suscessfulness of their Edgeguard ablilities, I just haven't had my digital camera to record. Once again this would be better explaing in a vid than written down. I was thinking of putting something about the NAir combo with DK but I think that was explained in my "Pimp of the Jungle" combo vid (which shows the effectiveness of the NAir with DK).

Once again man, I really appriciate your words, cause mine weren't working.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Sho-Balling? Wow, I can't wait!
You make a much bigger deal out of it than needed. Let him call it whatever he wants. If you don't like the name, don't call it that, but you're just getting ridiculous whith how much crap you're giving him over something so small. And its just a name, i mean, seriously, who cares? Everyone knows that he's not the first to use it, but he is the first to make a video demonstrating it and how to use it. Instead of giving him credit for doing something good for the DK community, you're stuck on bashing him for the name of it

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Sho-Balling? Wow, I can't wait!
I could call it shooting fire out of Andy's *** if that makes you fill better.

And Sho-Balling would be a cool title, doesn't mean I would be inventor of fireball edgeguarding or for you too call it that. I seen a demonstrational video the other day for fox called Lasorz or something like that, explaing the usefulness of Fox's lasers. I don't think people would call that technique lasorz because that's just the "name of vid". And reguardless if you get pissed at the name of the vid or cause I called the move Sho-guarding people will still know the effectiveness of the Up B edgeguard that didn't previously know about it.

And before someone else post something neagitive about the name of vid, technique or whatever please know this.......again.

I'm not the inventor of Up B edgeguard
It's a guide so I hope you get something out of it besides the name
I don't give a **** if the name sho-guard picks up or not.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
No. When you do something dumb, people call you out on it. You can't name something after yourself when people have been doing it for a long time. It's even worse when you have a lame username and you take yourself too seriously. Instead of getting defensive, or pretending that you were not in fact trying to name the move after yourself, why don't you just admit that you did something dumb? We all do dumb ****. Learn to laugh at yourself.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
No. When you do something dumb, people call you out on it. You can't name something after yourself when people have been doing it for a long time. It's even worse when you have a lame username and you take yourself too seriously. Instead of getting defensive, or pretending that you were not in fact trying to name the move after yourself, why don't you just admit that you did something dumb? We all do dumb ****. Learn to laugh at yourself.
You want the truth? The truth is that I did name the vid Sho-guarding and that I thought it was a cool name. If people picked up on it then they could, but if it were to cause flaming then I wouldn't want anyone to use the name. When I seen people getting pissed off at the name I left it alone and didn't want to even mention the technique being called Sho-guarding. I didn't want to delete the video because it's a good guide and DK players can benefit from it. I've said this plenty of times so don't make no false allegations on me because you think you know me or what was going on. I already admit to the mistake of even naming the video sho-guarding and having the technique labeled that in the vid by apologizing in the forth post of this thread.

What makes me mad is your sarcasm after my repeated sayings of I don't care if it's named that or not. After NJ's post saying "what bothers me is that you named it after yourself" I felt dumb for even calling the vid that or labeling the move sho-guarding. If I really wanted to have this move named after myself after reading the posts I would've made more mention to it being called sho-guarding than in the video. Only other mentioning I can think I've ever said it was in a thread titled "using up b as an offensive move" where I said call it sho-guarding since there's no name to it (this was before I made the vid). But even then I was joking around about it and if I knew it would get to this magnitude I never would've said it in the first place.

I always had the idea about making a vid of using DK's up b as a very effective edge guard but I couldn't think of a name for it, so I name the vid sho-guarding and the technique that and if someone picked up on the name, hey that's awsome, if not, it doesn't matter cause they know of how effective it is anyways.

And for the record I know I do dumb ****, and I will laugh at myself. But this not a situation I can laugh at myself about cause people taking the idea wrong. It's a good vid for learning Up B edgeguard effectiveness and I'm not trying to have the move named after myself. Maybe I should say "i'm no longer" trying to have the move named after myself, would that help you? Even then, since I got the first two responses of this thread (which where in like the same day I believe) I didn't want the name to be called that you would think that would be enough to let you know I don't care what the move is called (and that was at the beginning of making this vid). To say anything more after that was just ridiculous, and maybe you should laugh at yourself when you made the mistake thinking I'd still wanted the move to be named after me or want the technique to be named after me.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Oh dear. I made post #31 because it was pretty funny. Surely I was not the only person who laughed at that one. But I hate suddenly feeling like I am crusading against people who try to name moves any more than anyone else in this thread was crusading. I shouldn't have made post #34.

drug_duck

Smash Rookie
couldnt we solve the problem by just calling it drug duck - guarding :D jk

seriously, i have always referred to this technique as "spin edgeguarding"... not because the user who named it called himself "spin" but plain and simple: you do it with the up b-spin, i dont even need to mention that...

lets go in the big wide world and do missionary work for teh holy donkeyz

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Pretty known attack for edge guard, do yes. Not that many play DK, as far as i can see so seeing this move is often out of question.

Though yes, this even looks like an abuse which imo is really cool!
Thanks for enlightening me, now i know how to piss someone of when hanging ont he ledge ;)
Though i'd need some practise first :)

Anyhow about the name: I dont see anything wrong with it, you got the freedom to call it whatever you want. And since there isnt any official name for this type of guarding Shoo-Guarding could be a neat name.

I'd just call it the roffelcopter though ^^

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol, this brings back memories. kc tried to call moving backwards in the air and then forward to attack DI dance and we gave him **** for it. he laughs and we laugh. no biggie.

On another note, thanks for the vid. i used dk today and it was nice to have this to see.

and a third note: title contains appositive, antecedent to the word guide. lol just fyi

Top Bottom