• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHL problems

Sheik2102

Smash Rookie
I've got serious problems countering Falco's SHL. Any tips? My friend can consistently SHL me and in the lag start to combo me. He's always able to hit me from nearly every position on the stage.

Grunt

Smash Master
Play dreamland or something small with ledges for a counter. if he can still hit you with lasers constantly, then...um.........IDK.

Tr0n

Smash Cadet
You could always try crouching XD I dunno whether that wud work or not...
And sheild-rolling might work too.
Making the most of any platforms will definitely help as soap said.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Depends on how he shoots his lasers. most Falco's either shoot really low or really high. If they're shooting high, then just dash under it. Otherwise, jump up in front of him, charge a few needles, release them on him right in front of him and needle cancel on landing, then grab him straight out of it. From there, techchase him to whatever percent you like and then gimp him to death.

enza99

Smash Rookie
ideas that come to mind:
-crouch some (unless the SHLs r all gonna hit u....)
-platforms
-power shield? is that the term, well uhh that last minute shield thing dash and power shield to get some distance
-needle>dash>power shield> close distance attack? (just guessing if theyre SHLs a needle can go thru without hitting a laser)

Tero.

Smash Champion
run up to them then shield (try to powershield) jump out of the shield and then fair.
look at some captain jack videos from esa2

d snyde

Smash Apprentice
duck as shiek. he lasers dont hit (on some stages) Then in between lasers either jump or dash towards him. Dont try to throw a needle; he will hit you before you can throw it.
I dont know but you can also throw your chain. The chain could block the laser.

soap

Smash Hero
chain doesnt block laser, and i found a pretty easy way to needle through lasers, if they are just laser spamming at a mid to low height to counter ur ducking/dash attacks, short hop charge over lasers, hold the charge till u land then release and u will plow through their laser and hit them, once they wise up and stop shooting or put up shine, just store needles then charge.

ZZZZ

Smash Rookie
Jump fair
if they dash at you SHL to try and follow up anything just shield grab
needles from above (45 degree angle) to interupt his/her laser shooting then could follow with a grab if clsoe
those are what come to my mind, sorry if they don't help

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Why would you wavedash out of powershield? You could just drop your shield after you powershield and then straight up wavedash.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You don't have to remain in shield after a powershield though, so there's no reason you'd hold the shield up then wavedash, when you could just drop it after the powershield and wavedash.

soap

Smash Hero
Yeah, and in the time it takes to drop your shield and then wavedash, you could have wavedashed twice. Your shield does not drop any faster than it normally does.
really, i always thought there was no put away time on powershield, or maybe it was just there is no shield stun

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wait but...

Power Shielding/Shield Reflecting: If you press the shield button all the way down within 3 frames of you being hit, you will block the attack without putting up your shield and be able to retaliate immediately. The computer does this frequently. If the attack is a projectile, you will reflect it back at your opponent and your shield will come up. With practice many players have been able to consistently power shield projectiles such as Falco’s lasers.
(From the Wavedashing, L-cancelling, All The Terms! Read First! Update 12/23/2007 thread)

Magus420

Smash Master
I might be forgetting to list something here but...

Powershield Projectile:
1) No shield damage
2) No shield hitlag
3) No shield pushback
4) No shield stun
5) Reflects the projectile

Powershield Attack:
1) No shield damage
2) Same shield hitlag
3) More shield pushback than full shield
4) Same shield stun as full shield
5) Allows you to cancel the shield dropping animation with an A or B attack

With projectiles your options are the same as they normally are out of shield, and with PSed attacks you also have the option of doing any A/B attack out of shield too. Both of those still have the shield dropping animation if you simply release it however.

Top Bottom