• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shino Edge Stall? How?

Sw0rds

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys,
Hey everyone, I've been playing sheik for about a month now and am starting to get a little bit not scrublord, but i've hit a plateau and am in need of getting some serious tech skill.
One thing I noticed at an interstate I just attended was that the winner (who was a sheik) used Shino to edge stall with all the invincibility frames and stuff.
So how do you do it?
My understanding is fall off edge backwards, use Shino upwards so you jump up a bit then go directly down, but I seem to always just completely miss the edge. :/
If anyone can explain a bit better, that'd be great.

Thanks,
Sw0rds

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I would look up some .gif images to get a better idea of the timing/directions inputted for a proper shino stall. Other than using good visual references...it's really just a matter of getting used to the timing. It takes everyone a bit of practice over a few days or a week, so don't let it frustrate you in the first few min of practice sitting down; it'll come with time.

EDIT: for most ledge tactics, many players prefer pressing away from the ledge instead of down to let go, since pressing down can lead to accidental SDs from fast falling. But for Shino Stall, it's not super uncommon to use down instead, since Shino Stalling by pressing away to let go of the edge means you'll have to move back towards it at some point (as opposed to only needing to press up and down directions). If pressing away feels uncomfortable, experiment with Shino Stalling with a downwards press to let go of ledge instead. And remember to practice on Corneria/Temple ledges when you're first trying to get the hang of timing. If you want to test if you're optimally using the invicibility frames, go to Brinstar and Shino Stall; if you're able to do so without getting hit by the lava stuff, buenoo

Last edited:

Sw0rds

Smash Cadet
I would look up some .gif images to get a better idea of the timing/directions inputted for a proper shino stall. Other than using good visual references...it's really just a matter of getting used to the timing. It takes everyone a bit of practice over a few days or a week, so don't let it frustrate you in the first few min of practice sitting down; it'll come with time.

EDIT: for most ledge tactics, many players prefer pressing away from the ledge instead of down to let go, since pressing down can lead to accidental SDs from fast falling. But for Shino Stall, it's not super uncommon to use down instead, since Shino Stalling by pressing away to let go of the edge means you'll have to move back towards it at some point (as opposed to only needing to press up and down directions). If pressing away feels uncomfortable, experiment with Shino Stalling with a downwards press to let go of ledge instead. And remember to practice on Corneria/Temple ledges when you're first trying to get the hang of timing. If you want to test if you're optimally using the invicibility frames, go to Brinstar and Shino Stall; if you're able to do so without getting hit by the lava stuff, buenoo
Thanks E.C.H.O., this helped a lot, I've found some gif's that have definitely helped. :)

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Here are a few helpful/essencial tips for shino stall.
letting go of the ledge pressing down is the "best" way. But if you do so you have very little time to let go of down or else you will fast fall. You need to press UpB asap after letting go of the ledge.
The method I have found makes me able to hit UpB emediatly after letting go and that is to use the Cstick pressing away. This will also ensure that you dont shift away from the stage thus making a perfect vertical shino stall.
In order to ensure grabbing the ledge out of the poof you simply hold down (towards the ledge) but you need to let go of down before Sheik reappears or else you will not grab the ledge (important!).
good luck

Sw0rds

Smash Cadet
Thanks heaps guys, this has really helped, I've started grinding, and I tried it in some friendlies the other day and it worked pretty well. :) It's just about getting fluent at it now. :)

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
What Trip said helped me pick it up as well using the C-stick technique. One of the Shiek "challenge" videos on YouTube says to try practicing it on Brinstar and try to retain invincibility whenever the lava gets to where you are.

Top Bottom