• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine Shield breaks

sextc

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing them recently and I've found that lvl 9 jiggly puff is the perfect sparring partner.
Spam sh dairs, jiggs will eat a few hits before putting up her shield and after that it's just a matter of timing your shines.

https://youtu.be/ncXHYwrJ_JU

The video looks like 7 hits of the dair, 6 shines, 1-up smash. Without the usmash it's something like 10-12 shines depending on how fast you're going. Keep in mind that the shine has quite a bit of shield stun, so you don't need to spam it as fast as you may think.

Happy smashing :)

Last edited:

TR3G | Informant

Smash Cadet
The best way to practice shine shield break timing is to do it in training mode.

Place the dummy to 'stand' like on default, then spawn an invincibility star for the dummy. Then you'll have a lot of time to practice the shine shield break timing. The timing on someone with invincibility frames is very similar, if not exactly the same as hitting a shield.

Try keeping multishines the entire duration of the star. Quite difficult but if you can pull if off you are more likely able to shine shield break in a real-match scenario.

sextc

Smash Rookie
The best way to practice shine shield break timing is to do it in training mode.

Place the dummy to 'stand' like on default, then spawn an invincibility star for the dummy. Then you'll have a lot of time to practice the shine shield break timing. The timing on someone with invincibility frames is very similar, if not exactly the same as hitting a shield.

Try keeping multishines the entire duration of the star. Quite difficult but if you can pull if off you are more likely able to shine shield break in a real-match scenario.

Great excercise for sure, though I think it's important to note that the tempo of the shines required to keep someone locked in their shield is quite slow (much slower than what's demonstrated in the video), and acclimatizing oneself to that speed should be the first step. Now, I can't attest to the cpu's quickness when acting out of shield ( it's quite bad ) but the excercise can definitely give less experienced players an idea of what to expect when pressuring shields with shines.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I had made a video about the speed and it is indeed quite slow. What I used to do for training is put a maximum handicap, play against a p2 DK, put him against a wall and shine continuously. Somewhat annoying setup, but perfect conditions (hitlag=shieldlag) and you can do it infinitely.

sextc

Smash Rookie
I had made a video about the speed and it is indeed quite slow. What I used to do for training is put a maximum handicap, play against a p2 DK, put him against a wall and shine continuously. Somewhat annoying setup, but perfect conditions (hitlag=shieldlag) and you can do it infinitely.

Great Video, especially the last part on certain pressures that may work against opponents.To add on, I too have noticed that against real opponents timings can be more lenient, either people are too anxious to let go of shield, they don't want to commit a jump/roll/attack, or they're so greedy they think they can shield grab.

Is shine upsmash not a true combo? (or shield pressure in this case)

Top Bottom