• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine Property Question

jacobpilawa

Smash Cadet
Short and sweet question. What causes the property of Falco's shine that makes the oppoenent fly upward in a normal state? The same thing happens with Pikachu's moves a lot, and I think it has something to do with electric type move things? But what's the exact cause?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Not sure about the technical term for it, but it can happen on low knock back moves that have been staled too much.

Move staling is where a move becomes less powerful if you overuse it. Only the last 10 moves used are recorded and the counter resets when you die. I can give you a more in depth explanation if you need it.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It happens if you shine opponent out of missed tech animation and your shine is reasonably staled, so that it does less than 7,00% . It's related with jab reset mechanic: if you don't touch ground in 12 frames after you're hit with a reset, you'll just go to normal fall and hitstun is canceled. The same mechanic makes jab resets not work so often against floaties, as they don't often fall to ground quickly enough.

GenNyan GenNyan It has nothing to do with knockback, and shine has relatively high kb anyway.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
It happens if you shine opponent out of missed tech animation and your shine is reasonably staled, so that it does less than 7,00% . It's related with jab reset mechanic: if you don't touch ground in 12 frames after you're hit with a reset, you'll just go to normal fall and hitstun is canceled. The same mechanic makes jab resets not work so often against floaties, as they don't often fall to ground quickly enough.

GenNyan GenNyan It has nothing to do with knockback, and shine has relatively high kb anyway.
Thanks for the correction, I must have been misinformed at some point.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It's quite unintuitive. I think the mechanic is better in project m, where kb alone determines whether a move resets or not.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
If it was because of stale moves, wouldn't every subsequent shine also have that normal fall property? I feel like PP talked about it briefly somewhere but it'd be good if we got to the bottom of this.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
If it was because of stale moves, wouldn't every subsequent shine also have that normal fall property? I feel like PP talked about it briefly somewhere but it'd be good if we got to the bottom of this.
Uh, there's not much to get to the bottom of. TauKhan's explanation pretty much covered everything.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Do you mean shining the opponent again in the air after he's been "reset to normal fall" like that? You have to reset the opponent for that to happen, so the opponent must be either knocked down(Either in DownBound or DownWait) or in the "reset animation" (12 frames long DownDamage). The shine will still work normally if you hit him out of any other state.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Do you mean shining the opponent again in the air after he's been "reset to normal fall" like that? You have to reset the opponent for that to happen, so the opponent must be either knocked down(Either in DownBound or DownWait) or in the "reset animation" (12 frames long DownDamage). The shine will still work normally if you hit him out of any other state.
Ah ok sorry about that; I get it now.

Top Bottom