• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine combos vs fastfallers

Vista_

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I just switched from Falco to fox and I've been trying to understand fox's punish game. The shine combos vs floaties is not way too difficult to understand, but I've been having trouble converting off of shine vs spacies, or technically any character that gets knocked down from shine for that matter. What can fox do to follow up in these matchups?

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
You tech-chase them, generally after wavedashing out of shine in the direction they're launched. Vs. Other fastfallers in particular, since they're less likely to hit the tech, you can jab reset or utilt or usmash or whatever. If they do hit the tech, covering tech in place with shine is waaaaay easier than with grab.

vynleren

Smash Cadet
It's important to learn the followups for shine vs spacies (detailed above) - and it's just as important to realize when you shouldn't shine. A lot of foxes blindly throw out shines in the middle of combos and end up unnecessarily resetting the situation to neutral if they aren't prepared to cover the knockdown.

Fox's combo game on both falco and himself mostly rely on his strong grab game that leads into huge damage and stage positioning. In that way he's very different from falco, who loves to get meaty shine followups on spacies. Just changing that approach to the spacie matchup will get you a lot of mileage.

That said, Fox mainly just wants to get spacies off stage so he can edgeguard them. Shine is a super crucial part of this plan, and is amazing when used near the ledge. But in general your strongest punishes will come off grabs, and not shines. (Shines lead to tech chases which lead to grabs, but you get what I mean)

Learn when to shine and when not to!

Top Bottom