• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine Atlas - Playable Demo, looking for Feedback

artifice

Smash Ace
Been working on this project for coming on 2years. It is made with the unity game engine. Not sure if I should continue or where to go with it, so sharing some demos here, looking for feedbacks. My notes on development and plans are available here. Please let me know if the demos do not work for you. Also I'm interested in how it runs on slower computers, and what happends to the game speed if pressed for resources.

Demo1 - To play this demo you need to have a 4-port GC adapter plugged in and set to ("wiiu") not ("pc") both official and 3rd party adapter should work. I think the game will just crash if you do not have it plugged in.
mirror: https://mega.nz/#!inBgUaQb!2Cu7CruJLKiVSN7_rOYGETGYJJlhC87CHXZMUsTOgGM

SA_SS1.png

Demo2 - This is a different demo that is playing recorded input, so you do not need the gc adapter, but you can only run the game, not actually "play" it lol.
mirror: https://mega.nz/#!WvYUyKrS!45D9wfB6B3vRerw1r8g7Rohq1IbrBtVniEg7a5-CnDI

SA_SS2.png

work done/mostly done:
-recreate melee physics engine, using help from community sources.
-physics engine off Unity physics loop, graphics current using alloy shaders (may change).

-recreated melee input handing of gc controller. shoutouts to Dolla Pills, as i am using an edited version of his dll
-misc Unity Interfaces for dealing with data.
-misc 3d and animation work.
-wiiu+brawl animation data, editable, retargetable in unity.
-More or less all frame data from melee Hitboxes, from community sources and ripping data w/physics debug + OCR.

Let me know what you think, thanks.
(videos in post below)

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
This game looks really AWESOME in so many levels! I watched the little preview from Demo #2 and it's very promising in a very lively way. Thing was my PC laptop is VERY slow as dirt. lol

BTW, I might see if I can post in some concept art on some fighters. Hey, if possible, do you mind if I place some of my characters for ideas on who could make it in the game as well? Not saying your characters aren't good enough. They really ARE the coolest ones you have so far in my personal opinion. :)

Also, quick questions:
1. Will this game also play with Xbox 360/One controllers?
2. Any ideas who you'd want as an announcer when you get through?
3. What kinds of methods will the unlockable features like stages and more importantly, the characters IMO, will be there?

Thanks!

artifice

Smash Ace
Thing was my PC laptop is VERY slow as dirt. lol
Thanks and good to know - My issue is my computer is TOO good! so i have no idea if I need to work on performance issues. Ill put some videos here for those with similar issues, but notice these are 2 years old though, ill make some new ones at some point, The game was still really clunky, but i had mostly worked on and was experimenting with the graphics. videos originally uploaded to share with a few friends.

I'm also open to hearing new character ideas, but no copy right infringement. Also would be cool to feature a characters from a indie game if anyone friends with a dev or have ideas for that - but I think thats been done a bit already with other smash clones and would not be the "main" source of characters.

Will this game also play with Xbox 360/One controllers?
Yes! yes! "xinput" is the only input Unity actually handles well, this should already be done by now but isn't x.x other controllers including ps3/4 will be supported but I dont plan on working on that anytime too soon (would need to/will be integrating a Unity plugin called Rewired).

2. Any ideas who you'd want as an announcer when you get through?
Like the announcer in-game that yells "Game!" ? - If so, unsure I like following smash games too stylistically, I haven't done ANY sound work as of yet anyway, nor thought much about it - Did you have something in mind?

3. What kinds of methods will the unlockable features like stages and more importantly, the characters IMO, will be there?
I don't like the idea of releasing a game where you can't just pick it up and play as the character you want. Specially with smash type games, playing different characters is like playing a different game entirely in the most extreme cases. Right now working on Attachable "skins" different costumes to be unlocked, as well as things like hats that can be applied to mutiple charactes. Right now I'm in-visioning/working toward a Samurai hat you can add to your character, but in game if you get hit hard the hat will actually fly off / have its own physics. Unlockable stages/levels - still not sure how I will handle the single player situation, will depend on how much time i can spend on it - if at all (too many other things x x).

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Thanks and good to know - My issue is my computer is TOO good! so i have no idea if I need to work on performance issues. Ill put some videos here for those with similar issues, but notice these are 2 years old though, ill make some new ones at some point, The game was still really clunky, but i had mostly worked on and was experimenting with the graphics. videos originally uploaded to share with a few friends.

I'm also open to hearing new character ideas, but no copy right infringement. Also would be cool to feature a characters from a indie game if anyone friends with a dev or have ideas for that - but I think thats been done a bit already with other smash clones and would not be the "main" source of characters.

Yes! yes! "xinput" is the only input Unity actually handles well, this should already be done by now but isn't x.x other controllers including ps3/4 will be supported but I dont plan on working on that anytime too soon (would need to/will be integrating a Unity plugin called Rewired).

Like the announcer in-game that yells "Game!" ? - If so, unsure I like following smash games too stylistically, I haven't done ANY sound work as of yet anyway, nor thought much about it - Did you have something in mind?

I don't like the idea of releasing a game where you can't just pick it up and play as the character you want. Specially with smash type games, playing different characters is like playing a different game entirely in the most extreme cases. Right now working on Attachable "skins" different costumes to be unlocked, as well as things like hats that can be applied to mutiple charactes. Right now I'm in-visioning/working toward a Samurai hat you can add to your character, but in game if you get hit hard the hat will actually fly off / have its own physics. Unlockable stages/levels - still not sure how I will handle the single player situation, will depend on how much time i can spend on it - if at all (too many other things x x).
This are really AWESOME! I especially love the new clips of the game. It just makes it even better as it goes! :)

Great to hear the Xbox controllers are in the works. Thing is I don't have a GameCube controller USB thing for PC and I am use to the other ones for some reason.

Hey, whatever works for the announcer. I mean it's your style of the game, no offense. ;)

I believe the costumes would be a really cool idea. Especially what could happen for the Holidays and such. I don't know why, but seeing them in a Santa-like costume would be interesting.

Pretty good how you guys are somewhat talking about new characters you guys are wanting to add. Like I've said, do you think I could share you my character ideas via PM?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So, is this actually supposed to be a Smash mod, or something totally different like Rivals of Aether or Brawlhalla?

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I applaud you for creating a tech demo based on your passion with gameplay mechanics plus Unity. I wonder if you have ever heard of ReWired: a plugin for unity that streamlines all controller inputs so that you can focus of providing actions and easy local multiplayer games.
Rewired for Unity

A big question when it comes to platform fighting games, or any games for that matter, what kind of unique hook will help set apart from the rest of the games. Platform fighting games has quite a size-able niche and some take liberties in pushing a different direction. It is a good idea to explore successes and failures of platform fighters that either aim to be different or recreate too much like inspiration.

Rivals of Aether - Elemental animals/beasts as characters and major theme, offensive-focused gameplay with parries
Brawlhalla - focuses on weapon switching and more aerial combat with same humanoid characters
Brawl-out - a smash-like clone with original characters
Earthen Romancer - Focuses on a more whimsical setting with magical beings along with switching between two combat modes for each character

Icons - Attempted to be a melee-like game but development will come to the end after less than stellar impressions left on fans and newcomers

The list really goes on (Slap City, Megabyte Punch, Dimension Vs, etc.)

I wish you good luck and hope to assemble a team with a plan should you make a game out of it. Every step should be done in small chunks.

So, is this actually supposed to be a Smash mod, or something totally different like Rivals of Aether or Brawlhalla?
This tech demo is strongly inspired by Melee mechanics, but is intended to be an original title like RIvals of Aether and Brawlhala.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Hey man, really cool you are making this, always great to see new platform fighters!

I played the demo for a bit and have some feedback, I'll start with negatives

- Runs super slow. I definitely do not have a high-end pc. Here are my specs : https://pastebin.com/raw/4bc0zCYW . I did have quite a few chrome tabs up and stuff, but even still, I had to turn it to the lowest res to get a decent framerate, which didn't feel like it was even quite 60fps.

- Weird X/Y + A input handling. If I hold Y and tap A, they jump with each A press. Normals seem to only execute on A release

- Sliding around after dash attack. I presume you are trying to counteract the animation root motion?

- Camera was quite wack. It was slow to zoom in and out and doesn't follow them well. I really like how melee handles camera focus points. It gives each player (items and maybe projectiles too) a camera box, which is offset some amount in the direction they are facing, so it gives you space on the screen to run toward. Whenever you change your facing direction, it will slowly offset itself to the other direction. I dno how it focuses the camera with multiple boxes exactly, but I think of it like creating a bounding box to contain every entity camera box, and then focus on the centre of that. Maybe this is obvious to you I dno

- the classic fastfall after platform drop! Pretty minor, but it gives me deja vu lmao

Positives

- The basic movement feels pretty clean, definitely captured the core feel of melee

- Although I can't see hitboxes, combat seemed to work well, although the real test is having lots of players fighting together. Theres lots of jank in the animations, but I presume you just need to iron out the importing process. Smash has a very complex bone structure, and iirc the COG is like 5 children deep in translation and rotational parent bones

- Dope you have native gc

Last edited:

artifice

Smash Ace
Firstly Thanks schmooblidon schmooblidon all for the feedback! Working on those bugs - and now confirmed that people have performance issues on non-"gamer" riggs. I will be overhauling the graphics with Unity's new render pipelines, at some point before I release another demo. And Also thanks JBRPG JBRPG for big picture type feedback - def was looking for that. And everyone who checked out the demo.

Game Progress:

-Mainly been working editor side scripting for better character creation workflow (image below). for faster debugging and creating new characters and other Unity editor tools, the kinda stuff that takes a buncha time and almost no one but me will ever see.

-And started this week on integrating Rewired for other controller type inputs, and about done with that now.

-Also did some work on the character class and move data structure to allow for a user to be able to change a characters moves in game - I haven't worked out the details of the how/why only just made it possible - so in-game a characters special moves or aerial attacks could be changed or chosen by the user to be alternative versions or taken from a different character.

Unity Editor Windows (Hit box editing):

UnityMoveEditorSS.png

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Firstly Thanks schmooblidon schmooblidon all for the feedback! Working on those bugs - and now confirmed that people have performance issues on non-"gamer" riggs. I will be overhauling the graphics with Unity's new render pipelines, at some point before I release another demo. And Also thanks JBRPG JBRPG for big picture type feedback - def was looking for that. And everyone who checked out the demo.

Game Progress:

-Mainly been working editor side scripting for better character creation workflow (image below). for faster debugging and creating new characters and other Unity editor tools, the kinda stuff that takes a buncha time and almost no one but me will ever see.

-And started this week on integrating Rewired for other controller type inputs, and about done with that now.

-Also did some work on the character class and move data structure to allow for a user to be able to change a characters moves in game - I haven't worked out the details of the how/why only just made it possible - so in-game a characters special moves or aerial attacks could be changed or chosen by the user to be alternative versions or taken from a different character.

Unity Editor Windows (Hit box editing):

View attachment 192530
This looks really cool! :D

Top Bottom