• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I also posted this in the Joker thread, but I might as well raise it for discussion here as well.

The PlayStation Classic will include Revelations: Persona in it's roster of 20 PlayStation "classics," which I find... to be a decision. I don't know how many people care about that weird localization of a mediocre title... Sadly, no ATLUS games have been included on Nintendo's mini-consoles.

I would be more interested had they included a localization of the PlayStation version of Shin Megami Tensei If... to be honest, as that's a part of the Persona franchise's roots I would be very interested in exploring in English... This choice is just kind of weird.

That said, I'm hoping they make a PS2 Classic featuring Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3, and Persona 4. ATLUS has made a lot of good games for that console haha.

Anyway, anyone else have any thoughts?
Sorry, I didn't reply earlier, was quite busy.
Anyway, yeah, the fact that we're getting the weird localization is pretty bizarre, especially getting it over more popular classics like Symphony of the Night.

And by God, a way to play those PS2 Atlus games again would be amazing, and would probably get more people into the series.
Huh, well even though I support SMT content in Smash, I hadn't joined a support thread.

Well better late than never. Put me down as a supporter!
Thanks! Added to the Demon Compendium.

smt release.png

Anyway, happy 26th anniversary Megaten fans!
4eaca035-cfd0-47d8-83b7-0cfeaf52edf3.gif

Let's hope SMTV releases before we hit 30, eh?

amageish

Smash Master
Revelations: Persona is a bit of a baffling choice especially considering how much of a laughing stock the localization is. I would have liked Persona 2 more but Eternal Punishment, the only one we got in English, is miles better if you play Innocent Sin first and the English localization of that is stuck on the PSP. Personally I'm waiting for the fan translation of Eternal Punishment PSP to replay it, as I hear they actually improved a lot of things in that version, and it has art by current Shin Megami Tensei artist Masayuki Doi and I'm always 100% down for that. The fan translation has been apparently making good progress recently.

Speaking of which! The fan translation for Shin Megami Tensei if... came out recently, which is really cool. I can finally play that game!
Yeah, Persona 2 would have been good as well - obviously its not as good without Innocent Sin, but it's still an actual good localization unlike the mess that is Revelations: Persona... Really, we just need a Persona compilation including all the numbered games with good English translation.

Also, WAIT WHAT?! I recall seeing that one was in progress, but I had thought it had been abandoned. I am very excited by this!

And by God, a way to play those PS2 Atlus games again would be amazing, and would probably get more people into the series.
Yeah, that'd be a great way to actually get people into the series through good games. They're all just so fantastic... Come on, SEGA, we know you like money and nostalgia; get on this.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
They should release SMT I, SMT II, SMT if..., and Nocturne in a collection for the Nintendo Switch and call it Shin'yaku Megami Tensei. This is because Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, the collection of the remakes of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei I and II, means "Old Testament Megami Tensei". "Shin'yaku" means New Testament, a.k.a. the Shin series starting in 1992, and would make a nice companion to the Kyuuyaku title.

That and who the hell doesn't wanna replay those games on a portable system? They're practically MADE to be advanced in small bits at a time, little by little, especially given how long the games are.

Edit: Oh yeah, I left out Strange Journey, IV, and IV: Apocalypse because they all use two screens, not cuz I dislike them.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They should release SMT I, SMT II, SMT if..., and Nocturne in a collection for the Nintendo Switch and call it Shin'yaku Megami Tensei. This is because Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, the collection of the remakes of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei I and II, means "Old Testament Megami Tensei". "Shin'yaku" means New Testament, a.k.a. the Shin series starting in 1992, and would make a nice companion to the Kyuuyaku title.

That and who the hell doesn't wanna replay those games on a portable system? They're practically MADE to be advanced in small bits at a time, little by little, especially given how long the games are.
An SMT collection on the switch would be phenomenal, and with SMTV in the (distant) horizon, there's no better time to remake those games.
I'm especially hoping for a complete top to bottom remake of SMT1 and 2, because I can barely remember what happens in those games anymore.

I have to wonder what they would do about SMT3. Will they attempt to bring back Dante from DMC and revive the meme, or is it too much trouble for a remake and they'll just use Raidou Kuzunoha?
Either way, I'd be hyped.
64db106c479e5d6646189a6312e875f5.png

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Pretty sure they'll reuse Raidou. Meme-y as Dante was, Raidou just fits better anyway.

I personally found SMT 1 and II very memorable despite all the constant dungeon traversal which is admittedly a slog. The story points are all fresh on my mind and the unforgiving nature of those games allow the very few cutscenes in the game to stand out for me. But to each their own.

If I was remaking SMT 1 and II, I'd make the enemies harder, but cut the encounter rate in half. It gets boring resorting to Auto Battle every time Talking doesn't work when you do it for the constant onslaught of enemies that aren't even especially difficult. In the originals you'll never manually attack or cast spells except on rare occasions, even during some boss fights. Making those two changes would make me think more carefully while still keeping the "danger" aspect of the never-ending encounters of the originals.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Kaneko is apparently still working with Capcom so Dante's not out of the question. I'd hope they replace him with one from a good game though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Kaneko is apparently still working with Capcom so Dante's not out of the question. I'd hope they replace him with one from a good game though.
What?
Ohhhhh, you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Yeah, if they do bring back Dante, they're going to have to pick his DMC3 or 4 incarnation. Preferably 3, because he'd have that Kaneko-esque Devil Trigger which would fit right in. Also make Vergil a secret boss, please and thank you.

amageish

Smash Master
Hey, did everyone notice the definitely-exciting SMT cameo in the direct?!?

TMS.png

Okay, so maybe its not the SMT representation that I wanted, but hey, nice to know Nintendo remembers that game exists?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Also Galeem, the villain of the Adventure Mode, reminds me of the villainous angels of SMT, even if it's not an outright reference it's cool to see a villainous seraph in Smash lol

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I wasn't expecting TMS to ever be acknowledged again considering how much it bombed.

amageish

Smash Master
Also Galeem, the villain of the Adventure Mode, reminds me of the villainous angels of SMT, even if it's not an outright reference it's cool to see a villainous seraph in Smash lol
True, yeah! He definitely has some echoes of the "Let's get together and kill a god" motif haha.

I wasn't expecting TMS to ever be acknowledged again considering how much it bombed.
Yeah, I kind of assumed it would be wiped from memory, but I'm glad to see it cameo-ing here (even though it looks like Spirits mode is full of minor characters nobody has ever heard of).

Also, while this is less likely, I wouldn't be shocked if they used TMS so that Fire Emblem can have a boss in the story mode that isn't just "Giant Angry Dragon."

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, did everyone notice the definitely-exciting SMT cameo in the direct?!?

View attachment 174599

Okay, so maybe its not the SMT representation that I wanted, but hey, nice to know Nintendo remembers that game exists?
In a HUGE roundabout way...
We have been officially acknowledged as existing.
So that's... not nothing. At least...
Dude, that scene was something straight out of an SMT playbook

"Beautiful but obviously evil godly ethereal being shrouded in multitude of wings with its true form a mystery commanding and an army of ominous deities almost completely wipes out the main cast with an unavoidable attack with the few survivors left to rebuild and launch a counter-attack."

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Heyo there, a long time since that Nov. 1 direct, eh?

Anyways, just wanted to give a quick update:

1. Moveset has been split into different categories for legibility
2. Moveset has had indents added for better legibility
3. Moveset has had gifs added to give a general idea of how they would look
4. Moveset in general has had minor adjustments made to moves.

Demi-fiend support thread is coming along nicely, but it's unlikely I'll finish before the end of the year.
So, with that in mind, who here would support the Demi-fiend so I can get a general list of supporters to add when the thread gets made?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I like to think of this thread as a catch-all for any SMT protagonist that isn't from a spin-off like Persona, but Nocturne is one of my favorite games, so sign me up for Demi-fiend if you're doing that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I like to think of this thread as a catch-all for any SMT protagonist that isn't from a spin-off like Persona, but Nocturne is one of my favorite games, so sign me up for Demi-fiend if you're doing that.
Y'know what...
A separate Demi-fiend thread probably isn't necessary with how shallow the pool already is.

Might as well make this the General SMT Thread then and put the Demi-fiend section in as well.

amageish

Smash Master
Y'know what...
A separate Demi-fiend thread probably isn't necessary with how shallow the pool already is.

Might as well make this the General SMT Thread then and put the Demi-fiend section in as well.
I mean, I would sign up for another SMT friend were you to make one, but I don't know if its necessary. That said, there are two Etrian Odyssey threads and that is a small franchise with lows odds even by ATLUS standards, so...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, I would sign up for another SMT friend were you to make one, but I don't know if its necessary. That said, there are two Etrian Odyssey threads and that is a small franchise with lows odds even by ATLUS standards, so...
Yeah, well honestly, the guy who made those threads isn't exactly concerned about gathering a large amount of supporters.
I mean, he made a thread for Joshua from Fire Emblem 8.

Anyways, here's the plan, so far.
I'll dedicate an entire part of this thread into making the WIP Demi-fiend thread, and if I manage to finish it and it gets a decent amount of traction, I'll just make a new thread with a shared supporters list.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I'm down for whatever. I've already made memes about Demi-Fiend in Smash so I'd be in :p

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I just hope we will get any SMT character at this point since it's hard to disappoint me when it comes to the series.

I would be down with demi-fiend, Flynn, Nanashi or even the new SMT5 protagonis or Jack Frost as mascot lol.

Would be badass to get Serph, but since he is a spinoff character that will mostlikely not happen. (Although Yu Narukami might be a possibility who I'd also love to see hmm.....)

And if we get a TMS character, I hope it's Yashiro since we already got Chrom and because he is so fabulous <3

amageish

Smash Master
I just hope we will get any SMT character at this point since it's hard to disappoint me when it comes to the series.

I would be down with demi-fiend, Flynn, Nanashi or even the new SMT5 protagonis or Jack Frost as mascot lol.

Would be badass to get Serph, but since he is a spinoff character that will mostlikely not happen. (Although Yu Narukami might be a possibility who I'd also love to see hmm.....)

And if we get a TMS character, I hope it's Yashiro since we already got Chrom and because he is so fabulous <3
I like the way you think - basically any ATLUS protagonist would hype me immensely.

And if we get a TMS character, then I will go into hiding for 2-3 months until the saltstorm blows over... That would annoy both Fire Emblem fans and non-fans alike... Also it should be Tsubasa as she's the main protagonist story-wise and Smash does not have a character with a lance/spear as a primary weapon, in spite of all of the Fire Emblem characters...

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Hey there all. You can count me among the supporters! I have a good deal of respect for SMT. For a series of its history, it's unfortunate that it lacks any acknowledgement in Smash. I don't have much experience playing the series, but I like it all the same.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Joker's in. I'm... pretty underwhelmed. Persona 5 is very much style over substance.
>mrw
Joker P5MC and Demifiend.jpg

Anyway, I agree but...

I can't help but have seen this coming. ba dum tiss.
History, story, combat-mechanics, all of that doesn't especially matter in the face of... total overwhleming popularity. Style? Style sells, especially on the PS4 with a strong marketing and large budget.
And it sells far more than 2 SNES titles, a PS2 title, and 2 3DS titles.

Nintendo knows this.
Atlus knows this.
We most of all know this.
From the start, this was a miracle shot.

At this point I think I've come to accept the fact that SMT has become a budget Persona.
At least... at least it happened first so I don't have to push this false hope anymore.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Gotta say, seeing people cite SMT's legacy as a reason why a Persona character fits in Smash is never going to stop pissing me off. Might as well say Japanese is Chinese because they both have the same symbols.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Gotta say, seeing people cite SMT's legacy as a reason why a Persona character fits in Smash is never going to stop pissing me off. Might as well say Japanese is Chinese because they both have the same symbols.
There's no stopping ignorance, unfortunately.
SMT's a legend in its own right and for the few fans it has, there's nothing like it or the stories it tells.
To see people use it and its legacy as a stepping stone for their agenda disheartens me.

Especially when it was renown for doing things that no other game has ever thought about doing. Going really out there!

Now it's simply used to justify a story thrice told before, but with a very shiny new coat of paint.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I thought you guys would be happier.

I guess there’s a larger divide between SMT fans and Persona fans than I thought.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm very happy that any SMT character is finally playable. Yeah, as much as I love Persona 5 (and I REALLY love it), I did prefer the original SMT games when I got around to them.

Hey, think of it this way--we'll be able to see traditional SMT demons in Smash alongside Arsene through Joker's moves. I'm certain he won't be limited solely to Arsene and that there'll be a Persona-switching mechanic.

I'm betting at least Jack Frost makes an appearance, and maybe even Pixie.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I thought you guys would be happier.

I guess there’s a larger divide between SMT fans and Persona fans than I thought.
Well, I am extremely happy that Atlus did get a character and I do consider myself a pretty big Persona fan. In fact, my first foray into Megaten is P3.
I've spent, maybe around 150-200 hours in P5, in fact.

I'm just... disappointed at the same time.

See, as sad as not getting repped in Smash is, it's really nothing compared to how it feels like the rest of Megaten is slowly getting pushed aside over and over again in favor of seeing Persona.
I had really hoped that there was really more to SMT's future than being an Atlus afterthought and that on the off chance SMT was considered, it might be the franchise's "big break" back into the spotlight, like some more forgotten characters like K. Rool. Hell, I wished the same for all the other megaten titles Atlus had.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, I am extremely happy that Atlus did get a character and I do consider myself a pretty big Persona fan. In fact, my first foray into Megaten is P3.

See, as sad as not getting repped in Smash is, it's really nothing compared to how it feels like the rest of Megaten is slowly getting pushed aside over and over again.
I had really hoped that there was really more to SMT's future than being an Atlus afterthought and that on the off chance SMT was considered, it might be the franchise's "big break" back into the spotlight, like some more forgotten characters like K. Rool. Hell, I wished the same for all the other megaten titles Atlus had.
Yeah, I can understand that. Mainline Megaten gets really lost in the shuffle sometimes. Still Persona is a spin-off, so there’s still something to be proud there, and I think SMTIV made strides towards making SMT mainstream and SMTV might just tip the scales...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

See, as sad as not getting repped in Smash is, it's really nothing compared to how it feels like the rest of Megaten is slowly getting pushed aside over and over again.
I sympathize very strongly with the italicized part. This is very sad and I don't wish for SMT to be forgotten.

That said, who knows. Maybe SMT 5 for Switch will be what gets people to give the series another chance and maybe even a huge resurgence. Remember, SMT 5 is the first proper console SMT game since Nocturne, and its gameplay is perfectly suited to portable systems so it'll look gorgeous AND be handy to grind a few levels in between bus stops. That's a winning formula.

So, in the end, let's keep hoping that SMT 5 is something special, and brings back SMT with a vengeance. Edit: After all, if anything should give SMT a "big break" like you mention, it should be Atlus and SMT itself. It's only right.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, I can understand that. Mainline Megaten gets really lost in the shuffle sometimes. Still Persona is a spin-off, so there’s still something to be proud there, and I think SMTIV made strides towards making SMT mainstream and SMTV might just tip the scales...
I sympathize very strongly with the italicized part. This is very sad and I don't wish for SMT to be forgotten.

That said, who knows. Maybe SMT 5 for Switch will be what gets people to give the series another chance and maybe even a huge resurgence. Remember, SMT 5 is the first proper console SMT game since Nocturne, and its gameplay is perfectly suited to portable systems so it'll look gorgeous AND be handy to grind a few levels in between bus stops. That's a winning formula.

So, in the end, let's keep hoping that SMT 5 is something special, and brings back SMT with a vengeance.
Ha, At this point I'm just hoping they show something in 2019 and don't just silently cancel it.

I'm banking on SMTV being a good game that really tries to do something that people can get interested in the rest of the franchise and sub-series.

Atlus has exhibited exceptional strength in their breadth of stories.
Post apocalyptic cyber punk, detective thrillers, whatever the hell Digital Devil Saga is, Military expeditions, whatever.
If Atlus became known for High School x (theme), that'd be... a bit sad.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I love Persona 5, but I am definitely very disappointed. I always knew popularity would win in the end, but I had some blind hope that it'd be better than this. The most annoying thing to me is people are still claiming it's SMT representation and that really couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, both series are offshoots from Megami Tensei, but Persona will always be the spinoff that came later and usurped the whole franchise in popularity.

Do I blame Nintendo and ATLUS for going with this? No, absolutely not. This will generate the most money for them in the short-term. Persona is ATLUS's biggest seller, blah blah blah- in the end, this was the smartest business decision they could have made, and I thoroughly hate the fact that that is the truth.

I guess the best hope I have left is that this opens the door for some SMT representation, but I doubt it'll happen this DLC season. I just hope that happens before a second Persona protagonist hits the roster.

Frost Ace

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frost Ace
I definitely saw this coming. While I can definitely see why they did it, but not even taking the middle road and including Jack Frost as a playable feels really disheartening. Hes pretty much the Pikachu of the franchise.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well now that we've dropped any pretense of having any chance of making it into Smash, I hereby decree that this is now a general Megaten thread.

In other news,
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis got fan-translated today.
The story takes place in Tokyo in 1996, when a demonic invasion occurs that transforms the city into the “demon capital”. The main character is Naoki, a member of the rebellion called Partisan fighting against the mysterious man who orchestrated this event. Naoki will have to push forward and make tough choices across parallel universes via time travel, and decide how the crisis is resolved.

Majin Tensei II changes up the Megami Tensei formula by taking to SRPG-like gameplay instead of JRPG gameplay. Missions in the game are divided into Occupy Enemy Base, Beat Down Boss, Reach Destination, and Challenger type maps.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/0...d-with-a-fan-translation/#VVTh0c2EmKZDtKV6.99

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The final fight against Galeem and Dharken REALLY feels like an SMT Neutral Ending sort of deal, where you beat the leaders of both order (Galeem) and chaos (Dharken) to bring about a new world where all Spirits live together. They even hate each other!

I beat them with Isabelle for the lol factor.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The final fight against Galeem and Dharken REALLY feels like an SMT Neutral Ending sort of deal, where you beat the leaders of both order (Galeem) and chaos (Dharken) to bring about a new world where all Spirits live together. They even hate each other!

I beat them with Isabelle for the lol factor.
Honestly, I was just waiting for the giant golden head of Sakurai to appear and start threatening us with more deconfirmations.

JohnOmaha

Smash Rookie
Not sure why y'all are so negative on the Joker news - a playable Persona character doesn't necessarily mean we're not getting proper SMT representation in the game.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I find it very hard to believe that we won't see any SMT representation in Smash Ultimate. Not sure why y'all are so negative on the Joker news.
I doubt it. The Fighter's Pass characters come with one character, one stage, and some music tracks. Obviously the character and stage is out so that leaves the songs.
Considering P5 and the rest of the Persona series already has a ton of songs, you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze in anything but that in the pack.

And personally (not speaking for anyone else here) my negativity stems from the realization of the fact that we aint getting any SMT character in Smash, like, ever with Joker now-and-forever representing Atlus JRPGs now, and also this drought of anything that isn't Persona news. I'm tired of this, honestly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom