• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Aye is this thread still going? Nice to see.

Add me to the supporter list. I've yet to really dig my teeth into Megaten, but I plan on doing so in the future, and have already gotten through a few Persona games. Any more Atlus characters are good by me!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aye is this thread still going? Nice to see.

Add me to the supporter list. I've yet to really dig my teeth into Megaten, but I plan on doing so in the future, and have already gotten through a few Persona games. Any more Atlus characters are good by me!
Ah well, it's nice to have you aboard!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small update, time.

If you're into the SMT: Dx2 Mobile game, then this news is for you.
"Featuring Bayonetta from the Bayonetta series!

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Can't even afford Dante anymore so they had to go for the offbrand, huh. Nah but really I don't play the gacha game and I can't say I care much for crossovers unless it's SMT making its way over to something else.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I mean, with SEGA making the mobile game it was only a matter of time. They do own Bayonetta after all. I figured she'd show up in SMT somewhere.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Late night update.
I forgot to mention that the Bayonetta crossover is going to come with art by Yusuke Hashimoto.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Part of me is hoping that Joker's series icon is like Cloud's, where instead of being a reference to a specific game (Meteor, Midgar, the Buster Sword) it's just the series initials. Specifically, "SMT" rather than "P" or the Phantom Thieves logo.

I doubt it will happen, but doing so would help leave the door open for a potential mainline SMT character to make it through.

amageish

Smash Master
Part of me is hoping that Joker's series icon is like Cloud's, where instead of being a reference to a specific game (Meteor, Midgar, the Buster Sword) it's just the series initials. Specifically, "SMT" rather than "P" or the Phantom Thieves logo.

I doubt it will happen, but doing so would help leave the door open for a potential mainline SMT character to make it through.
I'm on team "Jack Frost's Face" myself. Cute and recognizably ATLUS.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I doubt the fate of a potential SMT character rests on the shoulder of a logo.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I doubt the fate of a potential SMT character rests on the shoulder of a logo.
It actually does. If Sakurai makes the decision to assign Joker the Wrong Logo, all is lost, forever and ever, 100%

amageish

Smash Master
It actually does. If Sakurai makes the decision to assign Joker the Wrong Logo, all is lost, forever and ever, 100%
Nintendo in 2020...
Furukawa: Well, Shin Megami Tensei V has become the best-selling Switch title and has redefined the video games industry forever. I know that people are already worshipping the games cartridge as a benevolent god, but should we also award it by putting its protagonist in Smash?
Sakurai: My hands are tied... The Persona series logo is Morgana's head.
Furukawa: Nooooooooooooooooooo!
{dramatic music cue}
Trust me. My uncle works at Nintendo in 2020.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jokes aside, I hope Persona/P5 would have its own logo. I like me some Megami Tensei here and there but Persona is not SMT and I'm kinda tired trying to explain people that.

amageish

Smash Master
The white ending is looking reaaaaally tempting right now...
The real suffering is the number of Isabeau body pillows that appear once the franchise becomes mainstream.

Jokes aside, I hope Persona/P5 would have its own logo. I like me some Megami Tensei here and there but Persona is not SMT and I'm kinda tired trying to explain people that.
I mean, in an ideal world, I'd like it to be a butterfly because they haven't dropped the butterfly motif even in P3/4/5.

Also, Flynn should be the second DLC character with Jack Frost as the mainline Shin Megami Tensei logo.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I mean, in an ideal world, I'd like it to be a butterfly because they haven't dropped the butterfly motif even in P3/4/5.

Also, Flynn should be the second DLC character with Jack Frost as the mainline Shin Megami Tensei logo.
Actually, I'd like to use these posts as an opportunity to bring up a point I'd been stewing on.

How would a roster where "series icons" were more downplayed than they are now look like?

I don't necessarily mean that every character gets their own icon. I just mean that they're more specific for certain characters than others.

Like, take Yoshi. Yeah, he has his own series, we all know that. But compared to the other "Mario expanded universe" series (DK and Wario) Yoshi is arguably the closely related to Super Mario Bros. Even if it makes for weird situations like where Sakurai clearly has trouble deciding whether Shy Guys count as Mario enemies (they debuted in SMB2, a game without Yoshi in it) or Yoshi ones, I do nonetheless like that Yoshi gets his own series icon to showcase his own separate identity.

We can take the Yoshi example and expand it to other series. Fire Emblem characters don't all have to have the Falchion as their series icon. Robin, Chrom, and Lucina could all share a new one to show that they're all from Awakening, for one, which could be a nice way of showing that they're all from the game that saved the series.

Going back to Mario, it'd be nice if Dr. Mario had the "Rx" logo used in some of the game titles for the series icon, instead of the mushroom he currently has. Yeah, I know he's just Mario in a change of clothes, but those clothes and his Megavitamins represent a very popular puzzle game, maybe a series icon change would be nice. I also think Bowser, Bowser Jr., and maybe even Piranha Plant could have their icon changed to Bowser's face.

Hmm, what if all the current Zelda characters still had the Triforce logo, but the triangle that corresponds to each character would be more pronounced? Like, all the Links (except maybe BotW Link) could have the lower left triangle display Farore's mark, Zelda and Sheik's lower right triangle display Nayru's, and Ganondorf's top triangle display Din's? Or maybe each of them could glow.

Stuff like all the above could be pretty cool. It would also make Joker getting a specific logo based on P5 not seem weird in the event that a mainline SMT character joins the battle and they get a separate icon, even though Persona is technically a spinoff of SMT, a fact even Nintendo acknowledges in their press release.

Just food for thought that I felt like posting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually, I'd like to use these posts as an opportunity to bring up a point I'd been stewing on.

How would a roster where "series icons" were more downplayed than they are now look like?

I don't necessarily mean that every character gets their own icon. I just mean that they're more specific for certain characters than others.

Like, take Yoshi. Yeah, he has his own series, we all know that. But compared to the other "Mario expanded universe" series (DK and Wario) Yoshi is arguably the closely related to Super Mario Bros. Even if it makes for weird situations like where Sakurai clearly has trouble deciding whether Shy Guys count as Mario enemies (they debuted in SMB2, a game without Yoshi in it) or Yoshi ones, I do nonetheless like that Yoshi gets his own series icon to showcase his own separate identity.

We can take the Yoshi example and expand it to other series. Fire Emblem characters don't all have to have the Falchion as their series icon. Robin, Chrom, and Lucina could all share a new one to show that they're all from Awakening, for one, which could be a nice way of showing that they're all from the game that saved the series.

Going back to Mario, it'd be nice if Dr. Mario had the "Rx" logo used in some of the game titles for the series icon, instead of the mushroom he currently has. Yeah, I know he's just Mario in a change of clothes, but those clothes and his Megavitamins represent a very popular puzzle game, maybe a series icon change would be nice. I also think Bowser, Bowser Jr., and maybe even Piranha Plant could have their icon changed to Bowser's face.

Hmm, what if all the current Zelda characters still had the Triforce logo, but the triangle that corresponds to each character would be more pronounced? Like, all the Links (except maybe BotW Link) could have the lower left triangle display Farore's mark, Zelda and Sheik's lower right triangle display Nayru's, and Ganondorf's top triangle display Din's? Or maybe each of them could glow.

Stuff like all the above could be pretty cool. It would also make Joker getting a specific logo based on P5 not seem weird in the event that a mainline SMT character joins the battle and they get a separate icon, even though Persona is technically a spinoff of SMT, a fact even Nintendo acknowledges in their press release.

Just food for thought that I felt like posting.
I believe I saw such a concept on reddit a few months back.
While, these are far from perfect, and the logic that went behind some of the logos are... questionable, it's a very neat proof of concept.
For organization purposes, I doubt it'd happen, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

In the character support threads, there's a section on each of them for series logos.
My personal pick for an SMT Series logo is the press-turn icons:

Demi-fiend specifically should get his unique press-turn icon:

osby

Smash Obsessed
My pick for a SMT logo would be its iconic pentagram

But not sure if Nintendo would be okay with it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My pick for a SMT logo would be its iconic pentagram

But not sure if Nintendo would be okay with it.
Yeah, pretty sure the middle-aged conservative mom group wouldn't quite be a fan of that.

However, at least it's not as bad as the actual demon summoning symbol they used way back when:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
damn... at this point i think i would be just happy with SMTV info.... I would love to give the series another try on the switch.

at least we are constantly getting reassured that bayonetta 3 is still a thing and we got news regarding metroid prime 4 in a way that while we don't know jack about the game, we know exactly whats happening.

my only hope is that nintendo don't want to reveal games unless they are almost finished i guess :/.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
dante is straight up just in the smt gacha now

it kind of kills me inside knowing there's a 99% chance dante will be in smash bros while any chance of demi-fiend's slot died with joker's inclusion

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You heard it here first folks.

We've gone back in time to 2003.
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series, indeed.
This crossover will feature Dante obviously, being tagged along with Nero and V.
Hopefully you aren't a gambler, because the pull rates in this game are exceptionally low.

Fun trivia fact. This technically marks the first time ever that both Bayonetta and Dante are in the same game. The crossover network grows larger and larger everyday.

dante is straight up just in the smt gacha now

it kind of kills me inside knowing there's a 99% chance dante will be in smash bros while any chance of demi-fiend's slot died with joker's inclusion
Nah, it's actually more of a 1% chance Dante's in since they've deconfirmed him every single time for about 12 months. Itsuno and Matt have made it especially clear that the Capcom devs were never, ever approached for negotiations with Dante for Smash.
dante rubbing demi small.gif

... but yeah, still uber sucks that SMT's not making a character appearance in Smash today, or well, possibly even ever now that it's cemented itself in the public consciousness, strikingly similar to the Dante vs. Bayonetta for Smash arguments. People are inevitably going to argue against the older franchise since the newer one "already represents the other game's genre" which is unfortunate. But hey, SMTV still (supposedly) exists! That's more than I can say for a lot of other games with heavily wanted characters.

Hopefully one day we'll get to see these.
fdftdmcs small.png

demifiend splash 3 small.png

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
You heard it here first folks.

We've gone back in time to 2003.
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series, indeed.
This crossover will feature Dante obviously, being tagged along with Nero and V.
Hopefully you aren't a gambler, because the pull rates in this game are exceptionally low.

Fun trivia fact. This technically marks the first time ever that both Bayonetta and Dante are in the same game. The crossover network grows larger and larger everyday.

Nah, it's actually more of a 1% chance Dante's in since they've deconfirmed him every single time for about 12 months. Itsuno and Matt have made it especially clear that the Capcom devs were never, ever approached for negotiations with Dante for Smash.
View attachment 195996

... but yeah, still uber sucks that SMT's not making a character appearance in Smash today, or well, possibly even ever now that it's cemented itself in the public consciousness, strikingly similar to the Dante vs. Bayonetta for Smash arguments. People are inevitably going to argue against the older franchise since the newer one "already represents the other game's genre" which is unfortunate. But hey, SMTV still (supposedly) exists! That's more than I can say for a lot of other games with heavily wanted characters.

Hopefully one day we'll get to see these.
View attachment 195998
View attachment 196380
I know Persona gets that debate on whether it's considered a megaten title but I'd like to say that I hope we get a mainline title character in smash, only because the megaten franchise has been around since the 80s, along with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know Persona gets that debate on whether it's considered a megaten title but I'd like to say that I hope we get a mainline title character in smash, only because the megaten franchise has been around since the 80s, along with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy
Hell yeah, it'd be nice to see some respect be placed on the SMT name. Added.
For such an old and profitable franchise, I'm afraid it's not very well-known outside of Jack Frost or whatever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, moving on to some current news.

Sega FES 2019 on March 30-31st will feature an Atlus specific panel celebrating the 30th anniversary of the company.
The exhibition will feature their main games: Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Etrian Odyssey.

Interesting to note is that Persona 5 will be on the main stage coinciding with the previously announced March news incoming on Persona 5 "R."

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Hell yeah, it'd be nice to see some respect be placed on the SMT name. Added.
For such an old and profitable franchise, I'm afraid it's not very well-known outside of Jack Frost or whatever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, moving on to some current news.

Sega FES 2019 on March 30-31st will feature an Atlus specific panel celebrating the 30th anniversary of the company.
The exhibition will feature their main games, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Etrian Odyssey.

Interesting to note is that Persona 5 will be on the main stage coinciding with the previously announced March news incoming on Persona 5 "R."
To me personally, the only proper way of showing a franchise is to not use the mascot. I don't care how popular it is, it feels like a mascot doesn't show the true heart of the franchise.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Quick update on if any of you were curious as to what the Devil May Cry Gacha characters looked like:

"Featuring Dante, Nero, and V from the Devil May Cry Series."

Nero has Overture
Dante has Rapid Shot and Million Stab
V has Shadow and Griffon
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/14 update

Dx2 Artbook announced.
Comes with a Pixie with Megidolaon, funnily enough.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/15 update

Hoy guys, check out this art Doi did for Atlus's exhibition for SEGA FES.
Neat things to note, it's got a slight Jack Frost design where his hat and collar has gotten some white highlights.
Also it's got Ukobach the green goblin spoon man, and he hasn't been seen since like Raidou 2/Persona 4, 11 years ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/22 update:
P5R news tomorrow. Get hype.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, since you posted the link in the social threads. Might not be active here but add me as a supporter, my top picks would be Demi-fiend, Raidou Kuzunoha and Flynn.

Look forward to SMT V, whenever it comes.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I wish we had Demi-Fiend instead of Joker (even though I love Persona 5)

Just something to keep the thread alive.

Mod Edit: might want to edit that curse out of the pic...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Random thing I felt like sharing: back before the game came out, I thought that Shadow was a shoo-in as a Sonic Echo Fighter and was hoping for an SMT character, preferably Demifiend.

I imagined one of the screenshots on Demifiend's page on the official website would have been Dark Pit and Shadow in a recoil / surprise animation with Demifiend just standing there on the other side. A cheeky way of saying that Demifiend was edgier than the two edgy OCs that were already included, lol

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know much about SMT, but that one dude with the Glowing Tattoos looks kind of neat. And I think he's mostly hand to hand, so that could be cool.

Top Bottom