• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Stun Cancelling

Possible Patch

• Total voters

ShaSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NCSH#771
There has been a Smash Ultimate tech that has recently come to light more, but one that I have not seen used in competitive play.
This was brought to light for me after the YouTube channel GimR's Lab released a video explaining it.

How it works -->
When put into a rapid jab, quickly tap the control stick towards your opponent, and you will DI slowly towards you opponent while in shield stun. As you do this you will slowly DI towards you opponent, and after the 10th jab, you will roll out of it. see GimR's video for specifics. This tech allows you to get a very strong punish on rapid jab, everything from a grab to a smash attack. This does not work with all characters, but it will work with most.

I believe this is massive in terms of competitive play, it makes rapid jab extremely punishable, and as such less safe to use.
What are everyones thoughts on this, will it be patched? will it change the meta?

link to video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxZs1bGIUE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Here's a link to the video in question

It's a neat foot note for your MU write ups against rapid jabbers. A forward roll during a rapid jab can theoretically lead to a stronger punish than just keeping your shield held for their final hit. Not so much in terms of raw frame data but by virtue of being closer to your opponent. By just blocking the final hit, most characters have the time to put down shield and Fsmash in response, but if the jabber holds the jab as long as possible, the defender has been pushed too far away to reach. They have to go for a lighter punish like dash grab or a shorthop aerial. I guess the best feature of this shieldstun tech is that mashing forward in your shield is always the right answer. It shield DIs in so you stay in punish range, it inputs a forward roll after you've blocked a tenth hit, and if they end the rapid jab early, forward roll is still somewhat beneficial. That last scenario is the only real issue here, since forward roll is still pretty laggy and you've only got time to start your own jab or grab them before they can start moving again.

As a rapid jabber, the best advice, as always, is to not start a rapid jab on an opponent who can potentially pull up shield, but if you do find yourself stuck in that scenario, ending rapid jab early can potentially be as good of a mixup as trying to push them away by delaying the final hit. Choosing to delay does push them farther, but also gives the defender more time to plan their punish. So I don't think this tech invalidates rapid jabs at all, and instead creates its own set of risk/reward scenarios for the defender. I think it's highly unlikely it will be patched out.

ShaSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NCSH#771
Here's a link to the video in question

It's a neat foot note for your MU write ups against rapid jabbers. A forward roll during a rapid jab can theoretically lead to a stronger punish than just keeping your shield held for their final hit. Not so much in terms of raw frame data but by virtue of being closer to your opponent. By just blocking the final hit, most characters have the time to put down shield and Fsmash in response, but if the jabber holds the jab as long as possible, the defender has been pushed too far away to reach. They have to go for a lighter punish like dash grab or a shorthop aerial. I guess the best feature of this shieldstun tech is that mashing forward in your shield is always the right answer. It shield DIs in so you stay in punish range, it inputs a forward roll after you've blocked a tenth hit, and if they end the rapid jab early, forward roll is still somewhat beneficial. That last scenario is the only real issue here, since forward roll is still pretty laggy and you've only got time to start your own jab or grab them before they can start moving again.

As a rapid jabber, the best advice, as always, is to not start a rapid jab on an opponent who can potentially pull up shield, but if you do find yourself stuck in that scenario, ending rapid jab early can potentially be as good of a mixup as trying to push them away by delaying the final hit. Choosing to delay does push them farther, but also gives the defender more time to plan their punish. So I don't think this tech invalidates rapid jabs at all, and instead creates its own set of risk/reward scenarios for the defender. I think it's highly unlikely it will be patched out.
thanks for the reply! this is some great input!

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I can already smell the rolls into:
- Sing --> Rest.
- Falcon Dive
- Mega Upper
- Waft
- Charge Shot

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think it will be patched out since it seems like a deliberate design decision. It seems like rapid jabs are meant to be powerful attacks that leave you open if you miss them, which is why a lot of characters with rapid jabs also have safer gentleman's jabs as alternatives.

Top Bottom