• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Shield Shifted Directional OoS Banana Toss

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
A technique I discovered on my own earlier, but I'm sure some already know about. However, I haven't seen it discussed (?), so thought I'd TOSS it out there! AHAHAha... Ha... I'm so sorry.

Smash Ultimate makes shield shifting quite easy, and this comes with benefits for Diddy Kong when holding a banana peel while shielding. Many know this already, but while shielding and holding a banana peel, if you press an input either set to attack or grab, Diddy Kong will immediately toss the peel forward (I personally find it to be easier and more accurate, especially during online play, to use an already free finger for grab, but just replace grab with attack in the instructions to follow if that is better for you). This can be useful when someone spaces an attack poorly on his shield in front of him, but what about times when they cross him up and end up being behind Diddy? That's where directional OoS banana toss shines, especially while shield shifting. You can easily toss the banana peel out of shield in any direction you choose while shield shifting by using the following inputs (assuming :GCLT: is set to shield, :GCB: is special, :GCZ: is grab, and Diddy is facing right):

Forward = Hold :GCLT: → hold :GCB: → hold :GCR: → release :GCB: → press :GCZ: → release :GCLT:
Upward = Hold :GCLT: → hold :GCB: → hold :GCU: → release :GCB: → press :GCZ: → release :GCLT:
Backward = Hold :GCLT: → hold :GCB: → hold :GCL: → release :GCB: → press :GCZ: → release :GCLT:
Downward = Hold :GCLT: → hold :GCB: → hold :GCD: → release :GCB: → press :GCZ: → release :GCLT:

Obviously this input isn't required if you simply want to toss the banana peel forward out of shield, but if your shield happened to be on the small side so that you had to shift it forward so as not to get shield poked, this could still come in handy. You can also perform this technique via conventional shield shifting (slowly tilting the control stick in the desired direction without holding special), however, you may find it easier to make use of the special button to prevent accidental jumping (if you have tap jump on), spot dodges, and rolls.

Oh, and about throwing it down... I have no idea why that would be useful at all, but uh... Yeah.

Here are the inputs in text form for those viewing on devices that cannot display special emotes:
Forward = Hold shield → hold special → hold forward → release special → press grab → release shield
Upward = Hold shield → hold special → hold up → release special → press grab → release shield
Backward = Hold shield → hold special → hold back → release special → press grab → release shield
Downward = Hold shield → hold special → hold down → release special → press grab → release shield

Hope this is useful information for someone! :)

Last edited:

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Whats the difference between this and directional banana throwing with c stick? obviously shield shifting is super useful since shield pokes are super prevalent in this game, but you can throw the banana in all directions using c stick.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
As I edited in before your reply, this can be performed with attack (didn't mean to say "button" and will edit again), which goes for anything set to attack. This mainly highlights the fact that you can utilize shield shifting before seamlessly going into a directional banana toss (something that is important since shields aren't too hot in this game). Also, while it really depends on the individual, since a lot of people use Z for grab still, coupled with the fact that sometimes lag during online play messes with the accuracy of C-stick inputs, I thought some might like to consider the possibility of using a finger that is already free for action and precision instead of having to shift their thumb down to the C-stick. That's pretty much it, really...

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Ok cool yeah. Id love to see if shield shifting becomes the norm for when youre in shield, still dont really see it used that often. reminds me of diddy in brawl with his amazing shield. its so unfortunate that aerials are so safe on shield you basically need a banana in hand in order to punish anything oos.

Top Bottom