• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Safety in Brawl

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

How were shield pokes dealt with, in Brawl? You know, besides certain specific characters like MK or Peach's Fair (think it had 2-frame landing). I was wondering, because I remember checking on the kind of shield advantage (or disadvantage...) frames characters have when hitting someone's shield, and it seems frame advantage is significantly less prevalent than on the other games.

So were there any real shield pokes, or was it generally mixed up with cross-ups and the like?

Last edited by a moderator:

sijon

Smash Ace
Yes, there were shield pokes, although I can't recall all of them, you will know when you're shield has been poked pretty easily. It wasn't really common to look for shield pokes (idk why someone would want to), it was more of way to pressure someone in shield, into committing to an action, then reading/punishing said action. The poke was pretty much just a bonus, if it happened it happened.

Most players would angle their shields anyway to prevent it, especially for things like MK nado which actually isn't too hard to deal with if you combine crouching with a angled shield upwards. The only time tornado was a real threat would be if you were under the player to catch them in it like a net. But yeah, cross ups and reads were more commonly used as it would prove to be far more beneficial in a match. Could be wrong but meh, I think most players would agree with me on this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Yes, there were shield pokes, although I can't recall all of them, you will know when you're shield has been poked pretty easily. It wasn't really common to look for shield pokes (idk why someone would want to), it was more of way to pressure someone in shield, into committing to an action, then reading/punishing said action. The poke was pretty much just a bonus, if it happened it happened.

Most players would angle their shields anyway to prevent it, especially for things like MK nado which actually isn't too hard to deal with if you combine crouching with a angled shield upwards. The only time tornado was a real threat would be if you were under the player to catch them in it like a net. But yeah, cross ups and reads were more commonly used as it would prove to be far more beneficial in a match. Could be wrong but meh, I think most players would agree with me on this.
I didn't mean shield stabbing, but rather the act of having a move that could land safely on a shield and be able to get away with it. From what I've seen, frame-wise, you could probably punish a ton of things with a standard jab OoS.

Last edited by a moderator:

sijon

Smash Ace
I didn't mean shield stabbing, but rather the act of having a move that could land safely on a shield and be able to get away with it. From what I've seen, frame-wise, you could probably punish a ton of things with a standard jab OoS.
Ah, misunderstood that my bad. Yeah, frame wise, it seems like it but thats not really the case. You still need to take into account the shield stun, the shield drop animation which is a few frames, and the startup of jab or another move. Really depends on spacing though tbh.

Also I was just watching some old brawl matches/apex vids and saw the name "Oz" in the comments. Coicidence or maybe im losing it lol.

D

Deleted member 189823

Ah, misunderstood that my bad. Yeah, frame wise, it seems like it but thats not really the case. You still need to take into account the shield stun, the shield drop animation which is a few frames, and the startup of jab or another move. Really depends on spacing though tbh.
Brawl forces you to play a lot on being adaptive and constant. Nothing's garanteed, but that makes certain things value more.

Also I was just watching some old brawl matches/apex vids and saw the name "Oz" in the comments. Coicidence or maybe im losing it lol.
Doubtful. Been playing Brawl from '11-'12 up to around '14, and from then it's been on and off. I just really enjoy the game and never got the chance to be as good as I wanted, and I don't think I can't play even if it's just with a few friends.

tl;dr, chances are it's me.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
It depends on the move and if it can auto cancel upon landing. I can't recall certain moves that do that frame wise. Maybe marth fair or Luigi sour nair.

D

Deleted member 189823

Does anyone know why Snake's B-air was (apparently, according to Ally) "very good"? I mean, I'm not denying 18%, great KO power and decent shield pushback wasn't a thing. But looking back, I feel kind of ******** I didn't just shield and punish it with a basic jab...

sijon

Smash Ace
It's not really something you are supposed to space/hit shield with lol. It's more of a landing mixup, of which snake has very little other than airdodge. Probably considered good because its also his fastest aerial iirc, so it's one of his best punishes in the air, and for how much power it packs, it makes up for lag. Plus even if he gets punished, Snake is supposed to get beat up a bit anyway, such is life, but until he's offstage, then there's a problem...

D

Deleted member 189823

It's not really something you are supposed to space/hit shield with lol. It's more of a landing mixup, of which snake has very little other than airdodge. Probably considered good because its also his fastest aerial iirc, so it's one of his best punishes in the air, and for how much power it packs, it makes up for lag. Plus even if he gets punished, Snake is supposed to get beat up a bit anyway, such is life, but until he's offstage, then there's a problem...
That's the thing...looking back at matches, I feel kind of dumb. I kept getting hit by either random aerials or didn't know how to space hits properly to avoid a grenade explosion (unless only sword characters can do that). I'm looking at this beyond MK/Marth, since I'm not using thtem.

Top Bottom