• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Mechanics in Project M

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
The biggest thing that sets Smash apart from other fighters is the amount of constant interactivity had with the opponent, whether it be in neutral, while comboing, while being comboed, while recovering, etc. One thing that has always struck me as odd is how shielding is so lenient and easy to use for people of any skill level in any scenario. Shield an attack, punish the end lag. Factor in something like shield DI and shield pokes, and you start to see a somewhat more complex defensive system implemented in the game.

As it stands right now, that system is too lenient for the defender. In my opinion, shields should be smaller on most characters, leaving them with a constantly exposed hurtbox that is susceptible to poking, even while full shielding. To circumvent very easy pokes, shield angling is improved universally across the cast (think DeDeDe amounts of angling). This encourages more active defensive play in shield, and also affects interactions in both the neutral and tech chasing (especially on platforms).

Hypothetical scenario: Samus forward smashes a Marth at early percents on Battlefield, who then techs on the right platform. Samus gets underneath Marth, who is now sitting in shield on the platform. With his new shield, his legs are exposed slightly below the knees all the way down to his feet. Samus can choose whether or not to go for a poke on the legs, or try and trick Marth into blocking low and then double jumping and trying to poke Marth’s head.

Basically, the change would make shielding more similar to how blocking in Street Fighter functions. Block low can cover low and standing attacks, but is beat by overhead. Standing block covers overhead and standing attacks, but loses to low attacks.

As it stands, it is my opinion that larger characters (bowser, dk, etc) would have large shields, and are able to tank and weather pressure better than other characters. This allows biggies to have a stronger defensive game than their opponents, which fits the idea of a heavy character in the first place. Humanoid characters would have smaller shields that cover about 3/4ths of their body, leaving usually the legs exposed, but being able to angle hard enough to cover their feet completely, thus exposing their shoulders and heads. Tiny characters like Olimar and Kirby would have the same shields that they currently have, with less ability to angle than humanoids or heavies. They are covered by full shield, with little area to poke, but also have a negative aspect of not being able to angle around themselves in pressure situations.

Some outstanding negative aspects that come to mind when suggesting this change: pressure-heavy characters could become too strong, projectiles become too strong, shield DI is forced because of more specific angling.

Potential solutions to this would be adjusting shield damage for a lot of moves on characters like Falco and Lucas, so that they can pressure shields just as they do now, without breaking shields way earlier than we are currently used to. Adjusting shield decay when not being hit also comes to mind, as shields would be smaller as it is. As far as shield DI from angling goes, I actually don’t see that as much of a problem. I feel like it can be a useful mechanic for both the attacker and defender, improving on the tools given to both players a more complex interaction in defending situations.

Overall, I feel like this would improve offensive play without really shutting out defensive play, and would encourage more thoughtful decision making when forced in a position to shield. There are possible draw backs, but I really think that altering shields for most characters could really change the way players interact both in shields and against a shielding opponent, without necessarily harming the current direction that the meta game is moving in.

Please critique these ideas and criticize me to the fullest extent. I really wanted to create some food for thought, and I'm definitely sure that these ideas can be further hashed out and discussed.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Maybe it's because I was a Brawl poster child, but I don't think shield is too strong in melee or PM. There are a lot of attacks that are safe on shield only if spaced properly, and that's the way I think it should be.

Besides, PM's intent is basically to be Smash game for lovers of Smash; while your ideas about shielding are certainly defensible from a fighting game standpoint, I think implementing these changes in PM would be decidedly un-"smash-like".

Just my 2 rupees

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Also, one of the biggest constant complaints from those who quit and/or hate on PM is that they keep changing the game too much every patch. Making such a big change so late in the game's lifecycle would undoubtedly do more harm than good.

Rizner

Smash Ace
There's more to making more interactivity in a game like smash than removing entry level tech - the great thing about the smash series is how easy it is to pick up and start, but then how deep it can go. I'd be hesitant to remove shields from body parts in general, because it takes away from smash as a whole.

Having said that, catering to entry level players isn't entirely a good idea - making this more complex in a thoughtful way could work, but I'd be quicker to change the amount moves do to the shield or how quickly it shrinks than create such a strong initial barrier

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Shield damage being increased overall was another possible change instead of changing shield mechanics. I like this idea the most just because it would sort of buff big characters inherently, and they definitely all are struggling the most out of any other archetype.

Shrinking fast is another possibility, but that removes the potency of being a pressure heavy character as a whole. If you can empty pressure someone with like a short hop in place, it could have the same effect as actually hitting shields with well executed pressure and timing.

Decreasing shield regen time is another option, but that would encourage more running away and would kind of hurt slow characters.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Tbh I kinda like where shields are at right now. If I changed anything, it would be to make them break more easily (if it's smaller it takes extra damage or just has a different breaking point). Even then, I'm not sure if I'd actually want that change.

But yeah I generally don't have an issue being able to shield poke in general.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I just can't no this enough.. Shields are just as punishable as they are defensive. The shields mist be the way they are because smash does not have a Hi/mid/low system. Shields would go from functional to none consistent and random. We already have to angle shields to deflect and protect as it shrinks, it doesn't get more dynamic then that. =/

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
DLA DLA Shields don't cover you completely in melee. It's definitely not anti smash. It's more in-depth than traditional fighter games because you care about if the move is coming from up to down or down to up (marth fair vs bair) and the spacing and tilting is far more micro. It's not just this generic overhead vs low hits that fighter games have.

Rizner Rizner shield tilting is pretty relevant in melee at a high level, and not relevant at all at a low or even highish mid level, so I don't really think it's gonna hurt entry level players. Some pokes will happen on accident, but they don't happen often unless they are intentional. Admittedly pokes high happen often-ish if the character doesn't cover their head well, since most early level players early aerial (not safe on shield unless spaced, but good for poking high), and thus they happen to poke. I still think it'd be fun to have poor protection both low and high, but I could see avoiding high for that reason (as pooch suggested anyways)

Celestis Celestis attacks are just as punishable as they are offensive. It's still nice that there are lots of options and mix-ups with them in timing and spacing. Shields would definitely be more interesting with added depth. I don't think Pooch is trying to make notable changes in the balance between offense and defense. It's pretty hard to poke low without tilts unless the person is above you (though it's def possible), so the mix up mostly comes into play at closer range and when the shielder is on a platform.

@ All: just look at the game adds mix up wise. I don't think this is an arguement about the balance of defense and offense. It will make defense only slightly worse, and in some ways will add to defense cause you can faint openings and then tilt your shield to cover said openings. This is far more about what it adds to the game and strategy.

pooch182 pooch182 I fully support this idea. Also slow regen is probs okay since ledge stalling isn't as strong, but I personally think having bad shields and high tilt ability in the first place would cause way more mix ups. I could see maybe shields that just barely cover at full shield and have worse regen though.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
obligatory reminder that the game already has a precedence and a design scheme that won't be changing for some random dude's epiphany about game design or w/e, and that a change like this would require a complete re-balance of the characters in a game that already has as it is see many changes, and while it will likely see more; there's no point in starting from the beginning again (yes this does change the way offense and defense work drastically) when defensive/shielding mechanics are already fleshed out and involve enough interplay, if you don't know why, then I'm probably not going to bother to spell it out because I'm lazy and don't feel like spoonfeeding.
it's not going to change, I promise, especially when you have characters like ROB who can already get poked at almost full shield health.

Top Bottom