• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Frame Advantage?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I don't know it offhand. But auto cancelled dair is plus on block. Also, DJC bair is not safe per se, but if it connects on shield, can be tough to punish. DGC uair is definitely negative frames on block, but you might have time to spot dodge, roll, or jab/d-tilt possibly to deal with the nairs out of shield and shield grabs.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Can someone hit me up with the frame advantage/disadvantage on ness's aerials?
OoS frame data for reference:

Most standing grabs: 7 frames
Most spot dodges: 2 frames (invincible on frame 2+)
Most rolls: 4 frames (invincible on frame 4+)
Fox's shine: 4 frames (but its invincible, so unless you shield it'll beat any non-disjointed attack over 3 frames)
Falco's shine: 6 frames (same as above, except 5 frames instead of 3)
Sheik's nair: 6 frames
Samu's up-b: 5 frames (invincible on frame 2-6)

Potential options after hitting with aerial:

Dtilt: hits on frame 3
Grab: grabs on frame 8
Dash away: don't know, probably at least one frame to turn around
Roll: 4 frames
Spot Dodge: 2 frames

The data:

Nair
Shieldstun: 6
Landing Lag: 11
Optimal Frame Advantage on Block: -5
Analysis: Pretty awful. If you spaced this and got the optimal frame "advantage" on block you could feasibly dash away or spot dodge to escape grabs. pretty much screwed against anything else

Fair
Shieldstun: 3 if normal hits, 4 if strong hit
Landing lag: 9
Optimal Frame Advantage on Block: -6 or -5
Analysis: Much easier to set up than nair and can shield poke, but is burdened with the same crappy options

Dair
Shieldstun: 7
Landing Lag: 14 (4 if auto cancelled)
Optimal Frame Advantage on Block: -7 (+1 if you use perfect AC set up)
Analysis: If you can perform the AC set up, has a small advantage.

Uair
Shieldstun: 7
Landing Lag: 9
Optimal Frame Advantage on Block: -2
Analysis: Not horrible. You have 5 frames to avoid grabs. Can't really do anything about shine from either spacie (unless you read it and shield; running away MIGHT work). Can't dtilt to beat rolls or spot dodges

Bair
Shieldstun: 9
Landing Lag: 9
Optimal Frame Advantage on Block: 0
Analysis: Easily Ness's best aerial for attempting shield pressure. You are already facing backwards so you don't need to smash turn for running away (which is probably the safest option). If you cross up, dtilt can beat most OoS options besides grab

Dtilt
Shieldstun: 3
Frames between dtilts: 8
Optimal Frame Advantage on Block: -5
Analysis: Definitely a gimmick.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You can auto cancel dair. It has frame advantage, buddy.

Edit: just test it. Do a SH rising dair. 4 frames of landing recovery. At some heights, DJC dair will auto cancel (you have to be reasonably high up though, usually about a full jump's height).

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
You can auto cancel dair. It has frame advantage, buddy.

Edit: just test it. Do a SH rising dair. 4 frames of landing recovery. At some heights, DJC dair will auto cancel (you have to be reasonably high up though, usually about a full jump's height).
According to the hitbox and frame data thread, you can only AC between frame 1 and 18 or after 30.

So if you hit on frame 28, you need to be airborne for 2 more frames for the AC window before landing. Giving you +1 frame advantage at most.

SH air time is 34 frames + 5 frames of jump squat. So the best set up would be to start dair after frame 4 in your jump, somehow time the very last hitbox of dair on someone who happens to be shielding, and then land after 2 more frames.

So there is a whopping 29 frames before a hitbox is out (the same speed as bowser's fsmash), and on top of that, if any of the hitboxes before the very last one hits you'd have zero frame advantage or less. You need all of the stars to align for this to work and I don't see how this could ever be a good option. Even if it has frame advantage, its only on paper.

Bair has more range, starts up in essentially half the time, can easily be used in conjunction with DJC, and has a better reward if it hits, all for basically the same frame advantage.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah, +1 isn't that much. Still better than all the other aerials for shield pressure, especially when people don't know about it's auto cancelling properties. Also, you can drift horizontally after hitting their shield with the dair, making it even more safe.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Yeah, +1 isn't that much. Still better than all the other aerials for shield pressure, especially when people don't know about it's auto cancelling properties. Also, you can drift horizontally after hitting their shield with the dair, making it even more safe.
Yo, I don't think you understood just how hard it is to even get that measly 1 frame.

29 frames is a long time for your opponent to be doing nothing. Add an additional 7 frames that need to go by before the hitbox you want to hit shield comes out. Thats a 36 frame window for your opponent to either punish or completely ruin your ability to set up this "pressure"

I can't think of a situation where bair isn't better. Its 1 frame less, but its so much easier to set up and harder for the opponent to react to. Its not like Ness will be doing anything after he hits shield besides dash back so the extra distance created with bair is infinitely more valuable than the extra frame you should never get from dair.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The reason why it can work is because you condition them to shield by spacing SH fairs constantly in neutral. They will give you more respect and it enables you to go for these riskier plays like late AC dair on shield.

The bair is great too. No argument there. Honestly though I think mixing up DJC bair and AC dair is good for keeping your opponent from getting used to your rhythm.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I just don't expect someone to sit in shield for 29 frames and I think the risk of getting intercepted by an aerial is too high.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
There is the risk, but almost every aerial in the game loses to your fair, so the opponent can't just aerial out of shield whenever they see you jumping toward them. By conditioning them to respect fair, you open up the option of using dair. This is similar to the concept of empty hop grabbing someone.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
At this point, I think you are defending dair for personal reasons rather than logic. Too many things can prevent the dair from working and the intercept is just one of them.

EDIT: @ ChivalRuse ChivalRuse Actually, I forgot that electric attacks have extra hitlag meaning they have improved shield advantage. Bair is +3 on block LOL

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I know how DJC works. I've only been around for forever.

I've been experimenting with ways to move forward and instantly bair, and wavedash forward -> smash turn the opposite way -> bair works pretty well. I'd imagine it is even better for a double jump cancel character.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I just don't expect someone to sit in shield for 29 frames and I think the risk of getting intercepted by an aerial is too high.
dair is ness' best positional tool lmao
edit: ppl are forced to sit in shield in case u djc ac nair or djc retreating fair
using dair as a "either you read me right now and punish me in the air, or i read you and punish your attempt at punishing me with fair/nair, or you do nothing and i get free shield pressure/possible shield poke" kinda ups your chances of getting dairs
dairs are like 50% of my gameplay, no1 has "caught on" to the gimmick, because it isnt. its a valid mixup option that forces the opponent to respect ness' airspace

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
dair is ness' best positional tool lmao
edit: ppl are forced to sit in shield in case u djc ac nair or djc retreating fair
using dair as a "either you read me right now and punish me in the air, or i read you and punish your attempt at punishing me with fair/nair, or you do nothing and i get free shield pressure/possible shield poke" kinda ups your chances of getting dairs
dairs are like 50% of my gameplay, no1 has "caught on" to the gimmick, because it isnt. its a valid mixup option that forces the opponent to respect ness' airspace
I just don't see a high level opponent not being able to react to the obvious visual and audio cues associated with dair

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I think we all just need to play Ness more and find these answers out through trial and error. Discussing what you can and can't react to is boring me to death.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
EDIT: @ ChivalRuse ChivalRuse Actually, I forgot that electric attacks have extra hitlag meaning they have improved shield advantage. Bair is +3 on block LOL
No, electric modifier is only applied on hit, on shield it doesn't have effect. So bair is 0 advantage on shield.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
No, electric modifier is only applied on hit, on shield it doesn't have effect. So bair is 0 advantage on shield.
You sure? There is an old strong bad post in the Falco hitboxes/frame data thread where he says that Falcon's knee is +4 due to electric hitlag. Has that been proven false?

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yes, I know the exact quote you're referring to, it's false.

Btw foxes double shine would be shield string if electric modifier applied on shields.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I just don't see a high level opponent not being able to react to the obvious visual and audio cues associated with dair
thats ok you can ignore one of ness' best moves :)
i'd like to see how you play without it; i'm interested

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Most players will react to the potentially telegraphed movement that sets up the dair on shield. If the Ness starts the dair while rising like he's supposed to, it's difficult to react to the aerial startup itself (and/or be in a position to punish it).

Top Bottom