• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Dropping & Power Shielding

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
So I read the post by M2K on the general brawl discussion forum, and I got thinking. In brawl there are some minor changes to the shield's mechanics, and I'm talking about how shield dropping has less lag, and that it's easier to power shield.

I'm pretty sure M2K knows the difference between what he's talking about and power shielding. So this was my take on this. In melee, if you blocked an oncoming attack, the natural thing to do would be to punish them with a quick shield grab. For Yoshi though, shield grabbing was anything but easy to pull of because of the horrendous wind up lag that was required for his grab. But in brawl, it seems that the shield stun much shorter and you actually have enough time to block the attack, drop your shield, and counter with a quick move. From what I've read you can do a variety of things from jabs, to smash attacks, and even special attacks. Just make sure that the attack is quick so that you can punish your opponent before they recover from their landing.

Why is shield dropping important to Yoshi? One of Yoshi's weaknesses that has plagued him since melee is the fact that he still cannot jump out of shield. Jumping out of shield is still a pretty useful technique from melee that allows a user to jump out of their shield, bypassing the shield drop animation. In melee it could be used to do a quick aerials out of shield, jump cancel into smash or up b attacks, and go straight from a shield to a wavedash. Seeing as how Since Yoshi cannot jump cancel, I think it's important that Yoshi players capitalize on the this quicker shield dropping in brawl.

M2K said that he didn't get a chance to test out shield dropping with Yoshi yet, so it would be awesome if anyone who has a chance to play the game to try it out if they got the chance. Personally I'm curious if you can get a neutral b out fast enough for a pseudo shield grab.

Power shielding has returned from melee, and easier than ever. Power shielding is when you time your shield to block an attack just right, that you will receive no shield stun and no push back, ideally its the perfect way to counter any blocked attack. This again is a sure way for Yoshi to get out of his shield quicker since he cannot jump of shield.

With these slight changes to the shield mechanics, I cannot stress enough how Yoshi users should take advantage of it to get around the inability to jump out of shield.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There's just a slight issue here.

There could be a good and bad side to this. I'll have to try it for myself to see which side ends up being true.

In Melee, when you performed a melee powershield (as in powershielding a physical attack), you would receive no shield stun and some pushback. The main benefit, though, was that if you let go of your shield button and performed a ground attack within a certain frame window, you could completely bypass the shield dropping animation as if it had never existed. This is was the way you could counterattack so effectively out of a powershield. The one thing to note here is that Yoshi could not perform this animation bypass in Melee. He could only do it with projectile powershielding, not melee powershielding.

I'm wondering a few things. First, does he get to perform the animation negation (yes, I like to rhyme. Get at me, LOL)? Secondly, does he get his parrying properties back from the going-into-shield animation (for those who are unaware of the parry/supershield technique, search the Smash 64 boards for "parry" and the Smash Melee boards for "supershield")? Third, does powershielding affect his shield's traction at all?

Actually, I'm wondering many more things since Yoshi's shield was one of the most interesting objects to research in Melee. I hope it has lots of quirky and still useful properties in Brawl as well. I'd love to hear about any actual shield information as it comes in.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Alright I just got my copy of brawl today :)

Yoshi does not bypass the dropping shield animation when he powershields. If you powershield an attack you don't move at all. He also doesn't have his parry/super shield technique from melee from what I can tell :ohwell:.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ****ing bull****.

Excuse my French.

As blatantly terrible as this sounds, I sure hope you're just wrong or something, LOL. I really want some shield buffs to work with. :_:

Rep

Smash Apprentice
Incorrect:
In Melee, when you performed a melee powershield (as in powershielding a physical attack), you would receive no shield stun and some pushback.
Correct:

Powershield Attack:
1) 4 frame window
2) No shield damage
3) Same shield hitlag
4) More shield pushback than full shield
5) Same shield stun as full shield
6) Allows you to cancel the shield dropping animation with an A or B attack

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I find that if you powershield a hit then once to throw off the opponents shield drop into yoshi bomb, it actually lands cuz no one ever sees it coming.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Alright I just got my copy of brawl today :)

Yoshi does not bypass the dropping shield animation when he powershields. If you powershield an attack you don't move at all. He also doesn't have his parry/super shield technique from melee from what I can tell :ohwell:.
I could have told you that. I tested this a long time ago when I heard about the buffer time out of shield drop. Yoshi still has the 17+ shield drop frames.

Edit: wow I didn't realize this was so old. Nevermind.

Top Bottom