• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Dropping: Demonstration and Uses

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Better and better all the time. Great job Dan. And to elaborate on the newish stuff:

Even if you character doesn't have an aerial with a hitboxes above them that is fast (like shown in the video), you could always just double jump and do whichever aerial you choose. Ganon: sheild drop, mid air, poke with dair. Or just dair and land on the platform for more comboing. And the spacing would be easy, heck you could sheild drop thru then double jump an aerial and land behind them. Or maybe if you're feeling flashing you could shield drop thru and double jump with an aerial into your opponents face and edgecancel it.

You know how Sheiks sometimes needle camp on platforms? They jump onto a platform, charge some needles, then run off and fire at predictable positions? Well no more! Now they can instead dash shield drop their needle camping and needle approach from anywhere on the platform, rather than just the edges. On battle field with Sheik: Dash platform drop reverse needle capture edgecanceled bairs all day. Oh my God. :psycho:

You think Foxes are bad now when they camp around the top of platforms of Dreamland? Just wait until they start sheilding dropping thru and shining, and then safely recovering back to the above platform with their midair jump.

Every worthwhile Falco player enjoys laser pillaring when they fall through platforms. However, they often times land right in the face of opponents. Dash platform dropping allows you to overcome that problem and increase the gap between characters. Who needs a shine when you can space? :chuckle:

We're really talking untapped metagame here. Make it happen.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
RockCrock and Harriettheguy do this all the time; my poor Peach has trouble keeping up. (on that note, Peach's Shield-Drop Uairs are a pretty nifty/effective trick)

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
lol dont think I ever knew how to do this back in my melee days nor do I really remember anyone using it. Maybe shiz did, I just never realized it as this....

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Shield dropping quickly and reliably is hard Q_Q.

Anyway, Marth is pretty ****ing beast with shield dropped aerials in theory. He can shield drop uairs or fairs with perfect spacing to shield stab. With a healthy mix of pivoting a Marth player can have perfect spacing ALL THE TIME, which would drastically extend his combos, as he'd have more control over tipped/nontipped hits and have easier access to his double jump (which is a height between his shorthop and his full hop, giving him more mobility on platforms). That and he (like all other characters) would have a much easier time getting out of shield pressure, since he'd have access to an option much faster than wavedashing, and most importantly he'd drop below the opponent while escaping, reversing the situation.

Defense is a fairly big problem with Marth, and this is one of the things that can really fix up his weaknesses in that area.

edit: wow, I didn't know you could shield drop just by holding down before shielding....this certainly makes a lot of things easier. It's like learning about the flick method for empty pivots and realizing how you've been making things much too difficult for yourself.

Well, if everyone else is gonna learn it, I guess I should buy another melee and get to practicing.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I was just playing around with this Tech yesterday and today and I have three (3) things to say about it.

1) It's not hard. My little brother (11 years old and doesn't play Smash much) was able to do it with 40% success after about 19 seconds.

2) If Peach tries to float after shield-dropping, it uses her second jump. Maybe I just don't have the timing right, but this seems to be the case.

3) If you space this right, several characters can ledge-cancel an aerial into edgehog. This is good for characters with good Bairs so that they can cover the over-stage option and ledge-grab option for edge-guarding.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
HugS has been doing this forever, yo.

Like, since late 2007 or so.

Top Bottom