• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Breaking/Poking/Pressure is now a significant mechanic and should be taken advantage of.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Just putting this out here for anyone who hasn't noticed -- shield pressure is one of the biggest changes to this game. This is a general buff to heavyweights, and a liability for any character with a below-average shield size.

• Shield damage is noticeably higher on almost all moves
  • Perfect Shielding is gone, meaning that ALL non-parried attacks now deal valuable shield damage. This notably includes projectiles.
  • It's more viable in general for moves to be blocked
  • Higher shield damage in general means setting up an opponent to get popped by an actual break move is much easier
and most importantly:

• Evasion frames decay in Ultimate, meaning that at some point dodging is less beneficial than blocking.

Everyone should probably take note of how much damage your character's moves are doing to shields. This is most noticeable with pretty much any heavyweight character. Around 2 consecutive blocked smash attacks from MOST heavyweights /power hitters will result in a shield break, and if from a heavyweight, that's almost guaranteed a stock. But this is also an inherent buff to many zoners in this game, specifically Samus/Dark Samus, and also Zelda to a lesser extent.

The counter to this concept is that mobility is at an all-time high so players probably wont need to block as much as in Smash 4. But regardless, this is significant because it allows you to remove potential defensive options from your opponent to open them up offensively.

Just a few examples:

:ultmarth::ultlucina:-- blocked Fair/Jab > Shield breaker can result in an instant shield pop.
:ultdk:-- If you make them block pretty much anything that isn't a jab before using SideB, their shield will probably break.
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: -- Making an opponent block Super Missile while you have a Charge Shot stocked will result in them being forced to sidestep/roll the charge shot, as it will result in a shield break.
:ultganondorf:- Blocked Usmash is safe with spacing sometimes and generally doesn't result in that bad of a punish, but it provides AMAZING shield pressure. Wizard Kick is capable of breaking shields.
:ultsonic:-- SideB spindash deals noticeable shield damage, as does full-charged Neutral B, an unpredictable attack that people typically try to shield because it comes out so fast. But the longer you hold it, the more shield damage it causes. (Plus it can kill)

:ultlittlemac: -- Just mash, it's bound to happen at some point.

:ultbowser: -- Blocking Flamethrower up close now wears down the shield a very considerable amount which puts them in danger of a popped shield if they block the wrong move soon after.

There are tons of situations like this in the game, i haven't done too much research or practice on it but if you just play around with the concept...with a little strategy i'm absolutely certain you're going to pop someone's shield in the next few matches.

Also note that while these situations require them to block consecutively in short amounts of time, many of these moves reduce the shield to a very small size which allows for shield pokes. The shield doesn't have to break for it to successfully add pressure for you.

This would have been more in line with "theorycrafting" in Smash4, but i've been putting this to use in actual matches with pretty decent results. Give it a shot guys.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Ryu and Ken players (myself included) are gonna have a field day with shield breaking. I’m surprised you didn’t included them in your list of examples when shield breaking is prominent in their gameplay.

YashiWins

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4650-5745-8993
Just putting this out here for anyone who hasn't noticed -- shield pressure is one of the biggest changes to this game. This is a general buff to heavyweights, and a liability for any character with a below-average shield size.

• Shield damage is noticeably higher on almost all moves
  • Perfect Shielding is gone, meaning that ALL non-parried attacks now deal valuable shield damage. This notably includes projectiles.
  • It's more viable in general for moves to be blocked
  • Higher shield damage in general means setting up an opponent to get popped by an actual break move is much easier
and most importantly:

• Evasion frames decay in Ultimate, meaning that at some point dodging is less beneficial than blocking.

Everyone should probably take note of how much damage your character's moves are doing to shields. This is most noticeable with pretty much any heavyweight character. Around 2 consecutive blocked smash attacks from MOST heavyweights /power hitters will result in a shield break, and if from a heavyweight, that's almost guaranteed a stock. But this is also an inherent buff to many zoners in this game, specifically Samus/Dark Samus, and also Zelda to a lesser extent.

The counter to this concept is that mobility is at an all-time high so players probably wont need to block as much as in Smash 4. But regardless, this is significant because it allows you to remove potential defensive options from your opponent to open them up offensively.

Just a few examples:

:ultmarth::ultlucina:-- blocked Fair/Jab > Shield breaker can result in an instant shield pop.
:ultdk:-- If you make them block pretty much anything that isn't a jab before using SideB, their shield will probably break.
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: -- Making an opponent block Super Missile while you have a Charge Shot stocked will result in them being forced to sidestep/roll the charge shot, as it will result in a shield break.
:ultganondorf:- Blocked Usmash is safe with spacing sometimes and generally doesn't result in that bad of a punish, but it provides AMAZING shield pressure. Wizard Kick is capable of breaking shields.
:ultsonic:-- SideB spindash deals noticeable shield damage, as does full-charged Neutral B, an unpredictable attack that people typically try to shield because it comes out so fast. But the longer you hold it, the more shield damage it causes. (Plus it can kill)

:ultlittlemac: -- Just mash, it's bound to happen at some point.

:ultbowser: -- Blocking Flamethrower up close now wears down the shield a very considerable amount which puts them in danger of a popped shield if they block the wrong move soon after.

There are tons of situations like this in the game, i haven't done too much research or practice on it but if you just play around with the concept...with a little strategy i'm absolutely certain you're going to pop someone's shield in the next few matches.

Also note that while these situations require them to block consecutively in short amounts of time, many of these moves reduce the shield to a very small size which allows for shield pokes. The shield doesn't have to break for it to successfully add pressure for you.

This would have been more in line with "theorycrafting" in Smash4, but i've been putting this to use in actual matches with pretty decent results. Give it a shot guys.
^ Thanks for making this thread. To add onto Samus' shield pressure: It seems her Up-B (Screw attack) does insane amounts of pressure on shield. It broke mine several times.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Also worth mentioning is the change to perfect shielding into parrying significantly increases the risk of going for a counter-attack with a shield. In previous titles, especially brawl and smash 4, the shield was a great option because the first few frames gave you a perfect shield, and even if you didn't hit the window you still got a pretty good option. With parrying, you have to risk getting hit if you are off by 6 or more frames. I think this was a genius way to make shielding a less overbearing option, while still maintaining a decent defensive game.

And the fact you cannot run through people is a buff to shields, since you cannot just run right by a shielding opponent now. But you can hit a safe spaced tilt from a full run, which is great for some characters.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
let's also not forget how good frametraps are now since parrying means people will want to drop shield when anticipating an attack and that means that if you can mixup your timing the right amount you can get a big combo in the right situation.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
let's also not forget how good frametraps are now since parrying means people will want to drop shield when anticipating an attack and that means that if you can mixup your timing the right amount you can get a big combo in the right situation.
I'm so excited for the eventual meta of baiting parries. I think this game is going to grow to be really exciting.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Ryu and Ken players (myself included) are gonna have a field day with shield breaking. I’m surprised you didn’t included them in your list of examples when shield breaking is prominent in their gameplay.
I just haven't touched them yet. But yeah i should have remembered since Ryu has been popping shields since Smash 4.

Top Bottom