• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shell Shocked XII: 2/11: MD/VA reunion: Also 60 entrants!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
figure it out, lol.

- space your aerials so crouch cancel d-smash doesn't hit you
- smack her out the air
- jab pressure her to keep her grounded
- use f-tilt to swat her floats
- use f-air to swat her out the air
- edgegaurd her ****

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Good **** in teams omni. Had we had more experience teaming with each other, we would've done much better.

Omni

BRoomer
lol, if i had more experience playing Melee im sure we would have done much better. fun times are fun tho.

imma try to prepare for Sypher's. gonna be hard to train in my current situation.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
figure it out, lol.

- space your aerials so crouch cancel d-smash doesn't hit you
- smack her out the air
- jab pressure her to keep her grounded
- use f-tilt to swat her floats
- use f-air to swat her out the air
- edgegaurd her ****
ok but that's like basic stuff i know i wanna know like very specific things =(

Omni

BRoomer
ok but that's like basic stuff i know i wanna know like very specific things =(
dude, i cant do all the work for you. you have to play a peach over and over again and figure out why you're getting hit and/or why you're not hitting them

like, i can't teach you mindgames. i can only tell you the general strategy vs. Peach. with what i told you, you should be able to beat any Peach if you've mastered the fundamentals and you have the mindgames to implement those tactics.

combine that with like the zillion Sheik vs. Peach matches u can find on YouTube. the rest lies on you and how hard you practice and train vs. her

Kaffei

Smash Hero
dude, i cant do all the work for you. you have to play a peach over and over again and figure out why you're getting hit and/or why you're not hitting them

like, i can't teach you mindgames. i can only tell you the general strategy vs. Peach. with what i told you, you should be able to beat any Peach if you've mastered the fundamentals and you have the mindgames to implement those tactics.

combine that with like the zillion Sheik vs. Peach matches u can find on YouTube. the rest lies on you and how hard you practice and train vs. her
im just gonna go back to KirbyKaze then nvm u

Byped

Smash Cadet
Hey, just wanted to send some shoutouts out there:

-Charr-mander: great fox matches. You're pretty good but just wait till next time!!!

- DoH : awesome peach matches. You are cool and I can't wait to play you again. Thnx again for the advice!

- doll: one of the nicest guys I've ever met. You just won a fan; stay awesome. You my *****h.

- someguy: I played you and then you promptly got up and told your boys, "Man, that marth was too fast!!!".*

That single compliment did more for my confidence than penis pumps ever will. Thank you, and I hope to see you again!*
[-for those of you who think I'm just bragging, I'll have you know that my marth is in fact not "too fast" and it will continue to get faster (and faster).]

TOs- I was actually insulted when you told us that I would never play anyone from WV (implying 5 mutually exclusive brackets), but you pulled it off. Great job!! Awesome set up. I had a great time (expect for that wonky bracket you set me up with... A samus, two docs, and a luigi... WTF is up with that bs..?). XD other that, great stuff!*

Also, I was expecting to place higher than husband but c'mon ... Really? Only two spots!? And *We tied!!? Well , with that wonky bracket I guess it's all good ( and a hoo'hah!). *At least I was two spots above him so you got that right :p. *I guess we could copy and paste this into WV power rankings (IT DON'T MATTA'!!).*

Loved seen kevin an chris there; wish we had time for dinner. Ty Chris for always being supportive and helpful with my matches; It is farrrr from overlooked :).

Lastly, rich-man. You kids are lucky that shake was having an off day. His controller was faulty and the sun was in his eyes ect... Next time you *****s are toast! On a real note though: good games. *

- polk-kat: good game. You are lucky I SD'd with that dair... But I guess on the same note I am lucky you weren't playing better so its all-good, no johns. You got a shotty fox but it hit it's mark this time. Once I work the kinks outta my *marth , I would like a re-match if you're up for it. The rest of the crew, I'm sure you guys are pretty good too! Keep practicing because you need it (for next time!).*

That's all I have for now ( in class) I might update later!!*

Peace all, great tourney

-WV

:phone:

Byped

Smash Cadet
Hey, just wanted to send some shoutouts out there:

-Charr-mander: great fox matches. You're pretty good but just wait till next time!!!

- DoH : awesome peach matches. You are cool and I can't wait to play you again. Thnx again for the advice!

- doll: one of the nicest guys I've ever met. You jut won a fan; stay awesome. You my *****h.

- someguy: I played you and then you promptly got up and told you're boys, "Man, that marth was too fast!!!".*

That single compliment did more for my confidence than penis pumps ever will. Thank you, and I hope to see you again!*
[-for those of you who think I'm just bragging, I'll have you know that my marth is in fact not "too fast" and it will continue to get faster (and faster).

TOs- I was actually insulted when you told us that I would never play anyone from WV (implying 5 mutually exclusive brackets), but you pulled it off. Great job!! Awesome set up. I had a great time (expect for that wonky bracket you set me up with... A samus, two docs, and a luigi... WTF is up with that bs..?). XD other that, great stuff!*

Also, I was expecting to place higher than husband but c'mon ... Really? Only two spots!? And *We tied!!? Well , with that wonky bracket I guess it's all good ( and a hoo'hah!). *At least I was two spots above him so you got that right :p. *I guess we could copy and paste this into WV power rankings (IT DON'T MATTA'!!).*

Loved seen kevin an chris there; wish we had time for dinner.

Lastly, rich- man. You kids are lucky that shake was having an off day. His controller was faulty and the sun was in his eyes ect... Next time you *****s are toast! On a real note though: good games. *

- polk-kat: good game. You are lucky I SD'd with that dair... But I guess on the same note I am lucky you weren't playing better so its all-good, no johns. You got a shotty fox but it hit it's mark this time. Once I work the kinks outta my *marth , I would like a re-match if you're up for it. The rest of the crew, I'm sure you guys are pretty good too! Keep practicing because you need it (for next time!).*

That's all I have for no ( in class) I might update later!!*

Peace all, great tourney

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Kaffei, it's very hard to explain things verbally about melee. You really just have to learn from experience and watching matches. Imma play you a lot if our schedules match up, since I have no idea what to do against Shiek lol.

Availjunior

Smash Cadet
Play in tourney kaffei, and play peaches, i said i would pay for you :/ at this point you just need experiance to get better, your tech skill and ledge game is much better than mine but ive also improved at every tourney ive been to by simply just playing the game in and out of bracket

xMilkMan

Smash Cadet
Super generic/late first time shoutouts post:

GGs to everyone who I played.
I heard md/va tourneys used to be like this every two weeks. That makes me sad that I missed out... oh well. Can't thank CTL enough for making this happen.

P.S.
wtb video of crew battle :troll:

CTL17

Smash Lord
1000th post on super shoutouts in a tournament I didn't enter. And I won't even know if half of these shoutouts would reach some of you since half of the entrants were newcomers.

Entrants alphabetically:

Afrobandit: I should probably do some better advertising instead of Wenzel saying, "Hey, does Alex know about this?" in the afternoon.
Amen: I think you're a Hopkins person. If you are, then I hope I'll be able to play with you guys when I get in for grad school. If not, then oops, and I'm sorry I couldn't remember who you were.
Austin: VA Beach. I didn't realize how far that actually was. Thanks for coming up, and you could probably find the Richmond players for massive and quick improvement.
BigWenz: Thanks for helping, Wenzel. We'll team next time.
BloodyPuppy: Everyone's been saying how you've improved a lot recently. Glad you found the time to get here for doubles with Luke to get 9th (though you had an easy loser's bracket. /pessimism)
Bones: You're a safe person. I don't know if your driving safe corresponds to your safe playing, but... I'm a safe driver despite my playstyle. And DJ has been very elusive.
Boss: Farming money from doubles and keeping it to yourself.
Byped: Your bracket was wonky because... our region plays wonky characters. No joke. I'm pretty sure your region increased the spacies average by a lot.
Chillin: Looked really fresh in that suit. Keep working hard.
Chinesah: Delaying your flight just to attend this. I would have felt pretty bad if I didn't get a venue in time. Great seeing you again, and Thumbs is a threat now.
Chip: Continuing on WV. I can't really say much; I didn't get to really talk to you or see you play.
ChivalRuse: You did... strangely well for how long of an inactivity you had. Were you practicing in your room with the lights off?
Chred2AKrisp: Teddydore being the same.
Chu: You're too good in teams (Project:M aside). And still an ******* for giving me a $100 bill just to take it back. Don't even know if you'll see this since you're banned from boards.
cmart: Bowser's not the same without his myriad of buffs, huh? Be proud that you were the sole Bowser player in that bracket.
CMonster: Man, so much confusion happened over your name in singles. And it took a few of us some time before we figured out your name's significance.
dkuo: There, I posted my 1000th post. Happy now?
DoH: Thought you were going up to NY, but I hope you were satisfied with your decision to stay down here and experience 60 entrants.
Doll: Glad to have officially met you. I can't really say that the first time I heard who you were was the best description.
DosV: You came back for the reunion. And not too rusty either.
East Coast Eddie: Well, I don't really have anything. Sorry.
Eber: Don't really have anything either, except welcome to the melee scene?
Fortune: Yeah, just keep checking for other events. If you guys hold any up there, we'd love to come too.
Gir: Those Ice Climbers. Thanks for helping a bit next to Max and MinKyu.
Harley: Help Vist get here for doubles next time? It sort of messed up the seeding. Did he spend his $20 profit on you yet?
HAT: I think you live near me. Falcons who destroy Peaches need to stick together?
hova: Your bracket result was... strange to say the least. If you still live in Columbia, I'll go play at some point.
Husband: Hooray CHS. I'm glad you were satisfied with how I was running things. Hopefully I can keep it up for next time.
JCaesar: Snow Shocked II. I think this was scarier than the last Snow Shocked since the roads were actually drivable back then, I think. I also found out I might be able to make Sunday morning, but I'll post that in your thread instead of here.
Jeffrey: It says you're here, from CP. In that case, play with us more often!
Jippy the Lion: You too. In fact, you and Tom, being a La Plata, right now have the privilege of hosting the next Shell Shocked. You up for it?
JU4N: I assume your public transportation went well. Aren't you decently close to Roger? Get him up here next time?
KERMIT (BTree): Good job on first place. Right.
KingofCereal: Glad you could make it, and keeping my hopes in getting this venue up two weeks ago.
KlunkyMonkey: Don't fear Falcons. There's nothing except the Falcon part to be afraid of.
KrazyKnux: Finally you made it. You and Krox have really awesome team synergy. Come back and win next time so VA doesn't take everything.
KrazyKrox: Same with Knux. You two are kind of reckless in singles though.
Lafco: Not Lafca; I can't spell things I hear.
Matt: From Annapolis. So wait, how did you and Austin meet?
MCL: Really sorry your name confused me. Probably not the best first tournament experience you had, but everyone gets destroyed and somewhat discouraged, so don't feel bad.
Method: Gabe, you won't even see this.
Milkman: We didn't' play Ikaruga. Not like I would have had time anyway.
Napkins: Good job beating Tope..... 's Roy. I'll have to train my Yoshi sometime, just to counter Roys.
Nick: Sorry, don't really remember anything from you.
Plank: Don't think I can run a Pound 6.
Poehlcat: How was teaming with Ted? Knees everywhere?
Ranmaru: Did you sleep on Wenbo's floor? Or did you get a couch? I hope your long commute was worth it.
Red: How old are you? Where did you come from? I hope your dad didn't feel like we were a horrible crowd to be around.
Roger: Nothing for you either, sorry.
Rohan: Hopkins. If I go there, hopefully you can help me run tourneys there too.
Shake: I just realized, you lost to two of the CP Yoshis (except one was playing Ganon). Glad you found the other WVians, and you should be as fast as them in no time.
Tantalus: Once again, congrats on your... commitment. MetaKnight is still banned in my Melee tournaments.
thesage: You're welcome for the hat. Even if you lost, I still would have given it to you. /TOing tiredness, had to get out of the room, not playing many friendlies johns
ThumbsWayUp: I still hate you and Clyde and Mike for getting us kicked out of the other venue, but as long as you put more pros on your victim list, I think I can forgive you.
Tope: If we get another large turnout like this, please keep pushing me to start. Thanks.
Trimlinger: I don't even know if you go on these boards. Imagine if we met last year. That would be the most awkward thing.
Vist: Representing that Luigi. Come on time next time.
Voodoo: Acting like you still play smash. A true professional actor. Did you remember to get Slurpies?
Wenbo: Thanks for helping with extension cords and housing and the ride home. I heard you almost had an accident.
Wife: Hope you reminisced your old CP days here, always good to see you. Perhaps we could get commentary next time.
Winston Aw: It makes so much sense why you play Zelda now. I can't believe I didn't see it before. (Though my logic may be extremely faulty)

Others:
EE: Are you a sign of Brawlers coming back?
KORN: Why don't you enter something?!
Winston: Hooray for spectating?
Laijin: MIA
Sypher: So, where are those recordings?
MinQ: Thanks again for helping. I don't really have anything else :/
DuckPimp: I realized that day, that you are one of the only people outside of CP that has good Yoshi experience.
kidneybeans: Brown Shirt. Get back to grad work.
tdude: We have to play sometime. It's up to you to keep Melee alive in CP for the next few years.

People who didn't make it who are from around here:
G-reg: Sad faces. Needed more Falcons.
Redd: Also sad faces.
Mahone: I don't even know where you are now.
Epsilon: Ten hours of travel might have been worth it for this one.

Other people I mentioned this to at Apex/other places, putting in names so they can name search:
Abate, Vudujin, Peepee, unknown, RaynEX, others:
You missed out. Though honestly, if you came down, we probably wouldn't have finished on time.

End. Hopefully I can get SS13.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
lol, you'll never learn at that rate but ok

Really? Cus KirbyKaze writes a whole bunch of specific things for people who ask:
------------------------
Sheik vs Falco
------------------------
Anyway, if you're getting stuck in shield on nair oos then it's a timing issue. I'm not sure what you mean by "grabbed". If you mean you produce shield grabs accidentally, again, timing issue. If he's shine-grabbing, then you're gonna have to add rolls and sidesteps to your oos repertoire. Or time the nair better (since it technically can work vs shine grab because Sheik is too good).

I would recommend doing a lot of WD oos > dash attack on him if he's pressuring hard with aerial-shines. Dash attack knocks over Falco surprisingly early if he doesn't get a true CC on it and while ground techs are a valid concern, dash attack's knockdown and potential punishment is usually worth the risk; it's difficult to focus on ground teching while doing quick SHFFLs and shine cancels. WD oos > f-tilt or d-tilt at their landing spot is also good.

I would also recommend holding your shield if you're finding your WD oos and nair oos getting stuffed. If Falco is doing early aerials after the shine, unless he's moving back to space or crossing up, you can shield grab those. You also can WD oos or nair oos after an early aerial very easily before he can shine, which is also worth noting. If you can tell what kind of pressure he's going to use, planning an effective counter is a lot easier.

If he's not forcing you to face him with lasers, bair is also really effective. It trumps most of his aerials (except his own bair because of how jump heights wind up working out) and you can d-tilt or whatever in that case.

When I have Falco in close quarters, and he's trying to fight me, I'm basically just trying to protect myself from his counterattacks while poking him. I have a few options I use a lot. Usually, I like to initiate with Fair in this position because I think it's one of her strongest options but Bair, movement based stuff (dash dance --> dash attack, grab, etc), and even grounded moves (space them) are good.

The one nice thing about Falco is that he can't really run away from you without the laser. So you can actually take your time a bit more once you've got him off balance (provided you deal with panic attacks properly) because he's actually in a really vulnerable spot here. Keep that in mind. You don't need to rush things.

~~~~~
Anyway, I generally have three go-to options when I initiate with Fair at lower percents. You can do other stuff (a lot of other stuff) but these three are my staples.

1) SHFF AC Fair --> SH
2) SHFF AC Fair --> grab
3) SHFF AC Fair --> some kind of wait (dash dance, WD back, block, etc)

The first one is good because jumping again will leave you ready to initiate another round of pressure. Continuing pressure via a set of needles (y'know how I keep saying having a few needles handy is absolutely amazing? Yeah, this is another shameless plug of that) is a good way to get a free grab if you observe that he's crouching, waiting for more. If not? You can swing at him. This kind of links up to the third option because after SH you can wait in the air and check for a roll or sidestep (needles --> grab works on sidestep too if you have enough or shoot late) and punish those. After enough SH aerials you can go for empty hop grabs (which you did, and seeing that pleased me).

Second one is mainly something you do if you notice they like to CC --> block, CC and wait, etc. Or if they just don't anything. It's very good. Always good to check for, because this gives you the most payoff at low percents if you hit a successful tech chase with the throw (which you can). Not much explaining required.

The third is similar to the first. Dashing away, waiting (at medium percents, when they're pushed outside CC range), etc. enables you to scout defensive options. Because you're sticking to the ground, you keep grab, dash attack, tilts, and down smash open as viable options.

In terms of ground-based stuff, traditional Sheik games work on him pretty effectively. I think dash attack and grab should be prioritized, but f-tilt and d-tilt are also really good. F-tilt for stuffing his jumps. D-tilt for sneaking under non-dair hitboxes. Against dairs I think just grabbing or dash attacking the landing lag is probably best, rather than challenging it. That said, you can challenge it if you want; I recommend bair & fair. Just be wary of dash attack and nair (and to a lesser extent up tilt) if you start doing that, because his counter is to sneak under your aerials and that can ruin your position.

You can do other stuff, obviously. SH nair is often very good, as I'm sure you noticed. But these are some of the ones I like and tend to use because of their safety and payoff. Depending on the habits of the opponent, you can gamble a bit more with whether something is susceptible to crouch or not. In general, as long as you're spacing well and action quickly after your aerials, you won't be crouch-punished or shield-punished very often by Falco.

Editor's Note: In this position, presenting your shield SPARINGLY is not always bad because you can get them doing a lot of panic attacks that will be performed with speed & priority abuse in mind, rather than safety vs a shield. I'm sure we've all seen the arbitrary Falco F-smash come out, the random high dair approach that makes no sense, and the zany dash attack from left field. Shielding these can get you a huge payoff either via nair OOS or other creative options you find suitable (I'm currently trying to get into the habit of up smashing OOS on dash attacks, but with little success thus far).

------------------------
Sheik vs C.Falcon
------------------------

If he approaches with a SHFFL or SH aerial, I like f-tilt, fair, and d-tilt for defense. Especially d-tilt. If he approaches from higher, I like bair, up tilt, and f-tilt as a defense. But fair also works.

I really like crouching in this matchup because it's difficult for Falcon to do tight movements efficiently because of how much ground he covers with everything he does. So by compacting your body when you're not moving, it makes you that much better defended from his typical "spacing aerials" like nair and whatever. He has to aim lower or predict you moving out of crouch, which makes his air vs your ground game a lot more simplified, which Sheik likes.

If Falcon doesn't DI away from your throw, you can combo most of your relevant ground moveset on him (basically any tilt, jab, and down smash). Knowing this can make for some good combos. Also, Falcon can ASDI out of your jab resets at 32% so don't do those after 32%. He can SDI out of them below that and it's not too difficult, but if you hit one you can fairly easily hit him with the double up smash hit, which leads to massive damage and often good combos (to perform, dash inside his body as he's standing and JC up smash; both hits connect; it's easiest when he DIs away but you should be up tilting on non-DI away most of the time anyway).

I'd talk about ranges but my opinion of significant ranges for Sheik is sort of under construction for this MU at this point so I'm not really sure what to say about it. So maybe Teczero or someone can field that one for me.

------------------------
Sheik Ditto
------------------------

•Background information:

Sheik vs. Sheik is becoming increasingly common in tournament setting and it's not too difficult to see why-- with such strong representation from players like M2K and Amsah, Sheik has, in recent years, developed a bit more of a following. Aside from more people being open to playing her, others are also once again recognizing her value as a secondary character.

If you are new to maining Sheik and want to play her in every MU, currently main Sheik and want to improve your Sheik ditto game because you feel you lack direction, or are in the process of picking up a Sheik secondary to use for the Sheik ditto and need some help to get you started then the following section of this guide is for you!

•Mechanical Information:

Sheik can chain grab herself to 80% or so (barring platform interference) and finish herself off in a variety of ways. Tipped up smash works on anything but horizontal DI away and KOs starting around 75% (percentage is prior to the hit; hitting the tipped up smash at its minimum KO percentage can be very tricky and I generally don't recommend it). Beyond tricky things like that, you can simply kill by setting up an edgeguard at the end of the CG and following it appropriately (usually by fair, or tilt > fair).

If you are playing without chain grabs, you treat the combo tree pretty much the same as you would against Marth (only you don't regrab the DI away at low percents). D-throw > dash attack begins to be effective around 30% on DI away. If they DI elsewhere, generally up tilt is the best move (f-tilt is also acceptable at times, though).

Regardless of whether you're playing with or without CG, it is strongly recommended that you learn how to d-throw > dash SH rising fair at 50% or so. This allows you to finish CGs at the edge and transition into edgeguards effectively, rather than relying on them having bad DI on an f-tilt or whatever. It's very good (it is also very good against Ganon, Link, Pikachu, and several other characters).

To edgeguard, you generally want to force her to recover onstage and then punish her. Wavelanding from the edge onto the stage (henceforth to be referred to as "ledgedashing" for the remainder of the guide) into grab is one of the best things you can do because you can turn around and face off the stage, which traps them (run by nair if they DI behind, fair the DI away, either way they go offstage). You can also stand > grab, stand > d-smash, ledgehop dair, and a variety of other things.

If possible, needle to stop Sheik's momentum when she's offstage. Her air mobility is poor, and this will improve your chance of forcing her to Up+B, or prevent her from being able to reach the stage with Up+B, etc.

If she's close to the edge, remember that she doesn't get invincibility on her Up+B until frame 18. This gives you a good window to hit her out of its startup. Covering options with offstage nairs, bairs, fairs, etc. are a good way to rob her of her jump and sometimes even get gimps on her. It's very good.

•Combat Stratagem:

Combat in a Sheik ditto boils down into a pretty simple spacing game. One of the major players in this system is SH fair, simply because her SH fair is absolutely beastly. The other major tools are her grab, crouch cancel, shield, and tilts (in no particular order).

In general, Sheik's fair will beat most of her options if spaced properly under general conditions and is a fairly generic means of attacking (or defending, even). SH FF AC fair is therefore one of the widely popular and prolific techniques used in this MU.

Countering SH fairs is trickier than it looks. F-tilt works, but it's prone to trades (or even straight losing) because of how ridiculous SH fair actually is (consult the hitbox thread in the resources section for more detail!). Generally, for your f-tilt to beat her fair, you need to tilt proactively rather than reactively. Nair and bair can also be used to beat fair, but they generally have to be used proactively rather than reactively; given how long these moves hang out, this can be dangerous (although they make a great mixup!).

To reactively beat SH fairs, your options are generally going to revolve around getting under her hitbox and sneaking your hits in (rather than directly challenging it). For this reason, d-tilt, d-smash, and even dash attack are common answers to it. The first two are easily set up by simple crouch-WD movements, and even dash cancels if you're ballsy. The last can be implemented by a combination of trots, dash dancing, and using WD > dash variations to get momentum.

Countering opposing low hitboxes from the air is doable in a variety ways. One technique that Unknown showed me a while ago that I initially discredited was simply dairing over their move. However, further exploration of it (and playing with M2K) has lead to some revision and it's not that bad of an idea. Although dair can be true-CCed for a while, it begins to knock over fake-CCers at fairly reasonable percents (40%?). Jumping over dash attacks, d-tilts, and similar with dair can lead to some very silly punishment opportunities. Similarly, air needles can often be a pretty good answer and link to grab for heavy punishment. Doing an aerial like bair, nair, or fair later to compensate for the crouch is also a good option, although it can be countered by the opponent doing an attack that hits higher, earlier (this RPS system shift is largely unavoidable, though, and one of the reasons why crouching is powerful in this game; this also obviously counters the dair strategy as dair hits late naturally, because of its delay).

Ground vs. ground in a Sheik ditto generally boils down to whoever is more proficient at punishing lag and whoever's better at being evasive. If the opponent is playing mostly grounded but you have better movement and defensive habits, playing ground is probably a reasonable idea. In this case, you want to be aware that the ground game will be very crouch-heavy, in addition to being very movement-heavy. F-tilt will often miss if you do it close to a crouching Sheik, and her tilts in general are CCable for a while. Grab, down smash, dash attack (space it so you finish far behind them), etc. become very good tools in ground vs. ground Sheik dittos. Hurling a boost grab into their crouch, dash dance, etc. space can be a pretty good way to get a KO (but I'd generally be cautious about using it because if it gets predicted you can be grabbed back; it's not a bad idea if you can tell how they like to move, though).

As a side note: M2K claims that down smash is very strong in non-CG Sheik dittos. Drephen likely agrees with this, if his style is any indication. I personally find the move hit or miss and somewhat situational, but it does have some great moments and it's one of the few moves that can straight beat her aerials reactively because of the invincibility. It's also a fairly good edgeguard, combo finisher, etc.

Another little tidbit: You don't want to be on platforms for very long in this MU. Although the prospect of optimal needle angles seems good, in practice you give the opposing Sheik too much time to get a good position. Either by getting under, or by getting a good angle to attack you from. Using platforms to reposition is great, and they do offer a good angle to attack from at times, but don't get comfortable on them. Staying on platforms is a good way to get wrecked by bairs, up airs, and various other shenanigans. It's a hard position to hold effectively.

•The Anti-Shield Game

Sheik's shield is massive and her oos game is great so she gets her own section on how to engage a blocking doppelganger. If the opponent shields in a Sheik ditto, you have a variety of ways to attack it, but they all have counters, with varying degrees of severity. This does not mean that you shouldn't attack shields period, but be careful. Look for habits and condition (if possible and/or necessary).

The most common way to engage a shielding Sheik is to space your fair outside their shield grab range. You can do mixups with jabs and whatever but be careful because CC shield grab and CC grab mashing will **** that pretty hard and you'll get hurt. I think you can space the jab far enough for it to be immune to that garbage, but I'm not 100% on it so don't quote me on it. Fair > dash away is pretty good for this reason, because it allows you to punish counterattacks out of shield pretty easily but the drawback is that if the opponent retreats (with WD oos, etc.) it's very difficult to capitalize.

The reason for jabbing, tilting, or even down smashing after you hit a shield is to catch jumps, shield-grabs, and other shenanigans. Doing so, however, will encourage them to hold block and wait for the follow (whether they'll learn or not is another matter, though). If you can condition them to hold shield, fair > grab becomes pretty good.

Empty jump > grab is also a fairly reasonable technique because most Sheik shield pressure revolves around hitting an aerial and then following with an action (or waiting). This preys on the complacency many have, and the belief that "Sheik will hit my shield with an aerial."

Low nairs are also good because, after doing it, neither character is at frame advantage (assuming full power nair) which allows you to do a variety of things afterwards, including: dash behind the opponent (requires you nair sort of deep into their shield), dash away (requires you not nair deep into their shield), attack (grab becomes a reasonable option because, assuming they shield grab, whichever grab is timed better will win if you break even in terms of frame advantage and it's easier to learn offensive timings), and waiting.

Generally, you can counter most delayed aerials as Sheik with simple things like nair oos but you have to be careful against fairs because nairs have less priority. You can also generally look for spots to WD back, which is also an effective way out of shield pressure. In general, your goal should be to avoid doing something that will get you grabbed or hit into a massive combo when you're shielding. Counterattacking is a secondary concern.

------------------------
Sheik vs Peach
------------------------

Peach Sheik in NTSC...

Make her get into the air and slap or bair her appropriately. Needles are good for making her go airborne. After you slap or bair her, your follow (assuming you get a follow) depends mostly on positioning and stuff. I find bair > bair is pretty common at low percents, and fair > f-tilt > fair is pretty common too. Fair > dash attack > ??? becomes pretty good at mid percents.

You can f-tilt through her aerials too, if you want to. You have to do it proactively rather than reactively, though, so be careful with it. You can also dash attack under her aerials (not dair) if you time it and position it correctly. Takes some getting used to, though.

If Peach decides to not approach when floating, remember that her float only lasts so long. You can honestly just sit back and charge ground needles and throw them at her when she's coming down if she's trying to be hyper conservative. Just be prepared to cancel the charge and swing at her (or retreat) if she starts coming at you. Her only option at that point is to attack (which is fine), try to throw you off with garbage like air-dodge that doesn't do anything about needles, or retreat to a platform. Peach being on a platform is a good position for you as long as you're not stupid (just don't jump into down smash).

When blocking, you can't counterattack after FC aerials. You can counterattack after dash attack, jabs, and down smashes. And anything that's spaced badly (f-smash, badly spaced d-tilt, etc).

If she decides to play a ground game, it's not too different, only you're supposed to play a bit more defensively because attacking recklessly into Peach's ground game gives her more chances to get under you. Use a bit more bair. WD back, shield, dash dance, etc. Just flaunt how your movement is much better than her's and you'll be fine.

Protip: When you're spacing bairs, if she comes in for a dash attack, instead of bairing just triangle jump away from her and then punish appropriately. I like to turn around and grab, but if f-tilt tickles your fancy and it's at a percent where it'll work, then go for it.

She's gonna crouch a lot so you have to be good at aiming your aerials relatively low to the ground (while still retaining the AC in the case of fair).

Lightshielding near the edge to force yourself to grab the edge is massively underrated and very good because she can't actually do that much about your poofstall without being kind of obvious about it. I mean, if you just poofstall over and over again she can eventually steal the edge, but you can see her getting that position and switch it up (baby ledgedash is amazing). If you can catch a turnip, you can make it really hard for her to cover all your recovery options onto the stage even if you forgo the use of the ledgedash so keep that in mind.

If they're really campy, if possible, push them to the edge (get them trapped under a platform, etc). From there you can just pressure them and zone them until you hit them offstage and then do some systematic aerial & tilt algorithm and you'll cover just about everything. You shouldn't concern yourself too much if she grabs the edge because you can cover most of her getup options really easily because she doesn't have a proper ledgehop (no ledgedash, really slow ledgehop aerial, loses almost all invincibility if she tries something funny, etc). Needles are amazing in this position.

------------------------
Sheik vs Luigi
------------------------

Against Luigi:

Use a lot of needles (aerial & ground, depends on how far he is), fair & bair, and d-throw > f-tilt > block at low percent (after like 30% switch to fair or uair [if he doesn't DI away just fair > ??? or uair always]). Run off platform fair. Shield > punish (sometimes WD oos is required) is good against his entire moveset except grab & super spaced f-tilt & some down smashes he'll get enough momentum to be safe from you on (although WD oos needles actually can work on the latter & is ****ing annoying).

Use needles to stop misfires preemptively during his recovery and to prevent him from getting distance from tornado & green missile. Fair > bair if you can hit it on him. Take away all his options & hog him (or hit him away).

You should DI all his throws behind him. CC to block, d-smash, or grab if he does jab stuff.

------------------------
Sheik vs Doc
------------------------

Doc:

SH fair. SH bair. Run off platform fair. Use a lot of fair & bair. Space them. Air needles are pretty good too. Grabbing him is really good, too, and your ground movement is better. F-tilt is dangerous against shields if they're good but most of them suck (they can up smash oos but only Shroomed does it). Crouch cancel > block, d-smash, or grab if he jabs (Docs like to jab > d-smash so CC > block > WD oos punish works a lot). His game is mostly centered around crouch-punishes, grab attempts, and getting under you with up tilt, uair, or up smash so if you play to avoid those you'll be fine. Your f-tilt ***** his aerial approaches.

If he camps pills, just charge needles and then prepare to engage him. It's easy to run under them, WD under them, crouch them, nair through them, bair to protect yourself from them, etc.

The combo tree is similar to that of Marth. On DI away, d-throw > dash attack isn't 100% guaranteed (jumpable, possibly even vulnerable to Up+B) but it works enough that I recommend it anyway up to about 45%. After that, f-tilt or fair (or get creative with nair or something).

------------------------
Sheik vs Mario
------------------------

Treat it exactly the same as Doc only expect Marios to be more aggressive about holding the middle & stuff. If you go berserk with aerials you might get f-smashed so play a bit more grounded. You can also be f-smashed if you go for nooby shield grabs and whatever on spaced moves, so don't do that. They're gonna try to bait you into being f-smashed a lot. So block, stay spaced, etc. It's not a great plan on their part or anything, but it's easy to get complacent when you have a big character advantage. If you deny them their random smash attacks & grabs, there's not much Mario can do about you.

------------------------
Sheik vs Fox
------------------------

tbh it's really easy to nair OOS on dair-shine pressure. So if Fox is doing a lot of dairs I sometimes just block more and nair OOS rather than try to do SDI stuff. You can also just do aerials aimed at his head because he doesn't protect himself as well as he does with nair because of lower range.

24-25% is the magic number for f-tilt. Beats anything but true CC at that point onwards.

A good start to the defensive spacing strategies vs Fox is to stay just outside his SH nair range and space SH fairs preemptively. This protects you from a far approach. From there, you pay attention to how he goes about moving into a closer range or maneuvering around you and then counter accordingly. As soon as you figure out how he's trying to close the distance, you can just counter with an appropriate Sheik thing. Running under him when he's doing FJ approaches or awkward high approaches is really underutilized because he will try to manipulate the circumstances to prevent f-tilt and other crap like that from being a good option (either by initiative or other shenaniganry).

I got better vs Falco & Fox because he gave me specific things then I worked on it. You just don't know any specific things stop trying to give me advice if all you're going to say is "u'll never learn".

I know OBVIOUSLY I have to play peaches for experience... But right now I can't. Which is why I was looking for match up specific stuff. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

dkuo

Smash Lord
@Kaffei - He's not saying that you'll never learn because you want to learn specifics, but that you're giving the impression in being selective in what you're trying to learn. Generalities and specifics are both equally important so you shouldn't brush off stuff that you think is less helpful. I know you're probably (hopefully) not brushing off what he said, just the way you worded your post makes it sound like you were only looking for specifics.

Anyways, If you want to figure out how to deal with specifics, you should focus on recognizing scenarios that give you trouble while playing, then think about what to do in those scenarios on your own when you have time. Coming up with specific counters like KK's post takes a few minutes to theorize, but years to get into practice (which then goes back to reshape your theories, etc etc.) While learning matchup specifics from other people are helpful, it's much more useful (imo) to deal with scenarios that YOU readily recognize rather than those that others do since it's specifically tailored to what you're prepared to look for as opposed to what others are prepared to look for.

Still, if you want to know more there's always the sheik/peach boards, there should be more than enough info in the threads...just takes a while to search through them.

EDIT: And watch matches!

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Awesome tourney...it was worth it losing to Seb just to see KermittheFrog vs Thumbs called out.

Dude, anyone near UMBC wanna ****ing Smash sometime? Either at my house which is near UMBC or there. I'm tryina level up now after this tournament.

hova

Smash Champion
Awesome tourney...it was worth it losing to Seb just to see KermittheFrog vs Thumbs called out.

Dude, anyone near UMBC wanna ****ing Smash sometime? Either at my house which is near UMBC or there. I'm tryina level up now after this tournament.
who/what are you living with? i would possibly come thru and smash

i'm right by Columbia mall

Kaffei

Smash Hero
@Kaffei - He's not saying that you'll never learn because you want to learn specifics, but that you're giving the impression in being selective in what you're trying to learn. Generalities and specifics are both equally important so you shouldn't brush off stuff that you think is less helpful. I know you're probably (hopefully) not brushing off what he said, just the way you worded your post makes it sound like you were only looking for specifics.

Anyways, If you want to figure out how to deal with specifics, you should focus on recognizing scenarios that give you trouble while playing, then think about what to do in those scenarios on your own when you have time. Coming up with specific counters like KK's post takes a few minutes to theorize, but years to get into practice (which then goes back to reshape your theories, etc etc.) While learning matchup specifics from other people are helpful, it's much more useful (imo) to deal with scenarios that YOU readily recognize rather than those that others do since it's specifically tailored to what you're prepared to look for as opposed to what others are prepared to look for.

Still, if you want to know more there's always the sheik/peach boards, there should be more than enough info in the threads...just takes a while to search through them.

EDIT: And watch matches!
Idk what you mean by years to get into practice. something like jab shield to dash out to dash back in and grab does not take years to get into practice. nor does low% marth combo chains like regrab until 30% if they DI away/utilt (or ftilt) DIbehind etc

I know what generals are.. I know I need to work on my spacing, my baiting, my reading & my zoning/pressuring game. They're all bad. I know that, which is why I'd like to learn specific things too. like I'm not ******** lol

I watch matches all the time I have like 100+ smash videos on my iPod (mostly M2K but i have some Kirbykaze & I should get some Tope)

Omni

BRoomer
what im sayin kaffei

is that you're probably not grasping the generals strong enough for u to be concentrating on the minor stuff. when u go into a match vs. a peach ur not going to remember all those little details kirbykaze spelled out for you; especially if u can't apply the general techniques properly

but its pointless arguing with you. u did the same thing with your metaknight in brawl. u should probably listen to me if u wanna actually get good. otherwise, you'll be doomed to CK level forever

Shake

Smash Rookie
Super generic/late first time shoutouts post:

GGs to everyone who I played.
I heard md/va tourneys used to be like this every two weeks. That makes me sad that I missed out... oh well. Can't thank CTL enough for making this happen.

P.S.
wtb video of crew battle :troll:
Milkman, you trashed me in the crew battle hahaha XD (4stocked yuck)

But don't forget what I said. Next time we play, I'm going to crash you around!

Oh and CTL- thanks for the comment!

One thing I wanted to mention... The smashers who have been around for a long time were REALLY helpful. They want to see people get better, and they want the smash community to grow. I think that's why this game is still kickin' so many years after it's release. So another shout out to all of you who keep that fire burning.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
***** please. you underestimate my memory
no way im gonna be ck lvl forever

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Kaffei why don't you put up a vid of yourself playing a Peach so ppl can critique you at least? ;o (Whenever you get the chance)

Sometimes you can't learn everything from other people. Hopefully you can get some specific help with Peach in the Sheik boards. If not, you got to find a way. (Theory Crafting?)

Like that dude said. There might be scenarios that you haven't read about, and you'd have to think of them yourself, or just learn by trial and error.

Shoutouts still incoming. I'm just makin sure I got everyone

Kaffei

Smash Hero
good idea
next time ill play on a recording set up vs a peach or w/e
ya i get a lot of help from sheik boards. i just need to play more and improve my basics.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah. I hear watching yourself is also good too. Because you can notice things you did and be like "WHAAAA"

Although I should do this more too. And prolly will, since I'm getting a Dazzle HD. WHOOOO.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Shoutouts:

7. Voodoo - Really tight Falco. Good stuff playing ya. : D

9. DoH - Good seeing you again. I should have played ya, but we'll play next time. Also, I can't do marth dittos... Because I don't play any other chars then Doc. lol
13. hova - I think I saw you playing Doc. Good stuff.
13. ChivalRuse - Good stuff playing you man. I got lots of practice from ya.

17. KrazyKnux - Yooo good seeing ya man! I would have liked to have played ya, but hopefully we will play next time.
17. JU4N - Nice playing you dude. Good falco. : D
17. Byped - Good **** man. I think you went Marth yes? : D We should play again.

17. KrazyKrox - Yoooo Good **** seeing you here too! I think we might have played. Did we? lol. Anyways hope to see ya again too.
17. Husband - Good stuff. Pretty good marth, I couldn't do a thing. Like my approaches weren't working. I was told I had to be more patient, and i'm impulsive I guess. I'm not dropping doc tho. :D

17. Bones - Good stuff playing you man! I might have played one match but it was close I think. : D

25. Ranmaru

33. Chip - Yooo good stuff! That was a very close match. Specially last stock, I saw you tried to tech that but you were in stun. :D
33. Red - Ayyyy wassup. We should play more. Hope you had fun here too. Didn't know you lived near philly

33. Winston Aw - Good stuff in losers man. Hope to see you around sometime. : D Keep improving bro.

33. Jeffrey - Did I play you?

33. Shake - Yooo good stuff. (For being your first tourny too!) I see that your fox is fast, but you just gotta learn the match up, at least Doc wise. ;o That's what I think.
33. Fortune
33. Afrobandit
33. JCaesar
33. MCL - Yoooo good stuff! Glad to see that you had fun and learned from your first tourny. Hope to see you around as well.

CTL - Thanks for hosting! And yes, it was worth coming down here!
Wenbo - Dude, thanks so much for housing!! It was fun playing smash with you and Winston, and I was very comfortable in the couch. I was even able to do my paper which was due yesterday.
Winston - Was fun playing you at Wenbo's as well. : D

Boss8 - We should have played! Hopefully we'll play at another MD tourny. I should be able to come another time, but would be in a while cuz I'm dry... I mean I don't have money tho.

Kidneybeans... Wait... Why don't I see your name on the entry list lolz. Anyways, good stuff seeing you here dude. IT WAS COLD. We should play sometime.

Everyone else that I have played, I had fun. I might not have caught your name/tag, but deff give me a shout out (and brief description of our battle and your appearance) and I might remember ya!

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Ahh...I made a list of lengthy shoutouts and it got deleted :(

So I'll do a tl:dr version:

A shoutout again to the WV crew (too good, we're coming strong next time). I learned a lot and am going to apply it ASAP. Shoutout to Husband, Wife, Vist, Ranmaru, DoH for just being generally cool. Shoutout to Wenbo and Chillin for the matches. Chillin you really made me step it up, I hope you liked what you saw, and I'll be looking to improve a lot by the next time we play - I wanna make our next set much closer =D And Wenbo, I was definitely taken by surprise - you improved a lot. I'll be back looking for a rematch once I work on that falcon game!

Shoutout to CTL for a well-run tournament. I'm very happy to see 60+ people show. Those kind of numbers will bring in some big names next time, so I really hope you guys can get a venue (and recording this time! haha.)

And a shoutout to my boy Matt! Nice meeting you, and those were some pretty legit teams matches. Keep improving, and hopefully I'll see you in the next tournament! We'll do some more teams matches for sure! =D

Glad Shake could join us, now it's time to ramp up training for all of us and we'll get the placings we want next time, i promise! :)

Top Bottom