• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHELL SHOCKED III: UMD Balboa Melee, 12/6/08 (NOTICE LOCATION IS LA PLATA

Rebel581

Smash Champion
IMPORTANT!

We may switch to using the La Plata basement. ChivalRuse lives in La Plata and just checked the basement. I'm going tomorrow to see what it looks like, but he says that it's big enough for the tournament. He can also access the basement freely.

I was also told today that the Denton basement was off limits now because some freshman got caught with alcohol down there (stupid idiots, if you're going to drink underage don't do it in a public place). I'm not sure how legitimate this is because I was able to access the basement today (meaning this could be a total lie), but apparently they are cracking down on people using the basement unscheduled. We cannot get permission from the school to make this scheduled because there are so many people coming from off-campus. This wasn't a problem last year because nobody used the basement and they never checked. This person has told me they are checking to make sure nobody is using it (although I don't know how legitimate they are as they were wrong about me not being able to get into the basement).

In case you didn't want to read that paragraph or are confused at what this means to you, it doesn't effect the tournament at all. This tournament WILL be held. It is unconfirmed where exactly it will be located on campus. It will be in either La Plata or Denton, and this may change on very short notice. The two building are less than a 5 minute walk from each other and can both be found on the UMD Interactive Map. An answer will be up by tomorrow. The answer has the possibility of changing early Saturday morning. Make sure you know where both building are.

Just a little update. We've run this same risk with every tournament and nobody has ever given a **** about us being in the basement, so it shouldn't be a problem this time either. This is just so you guys are aware that it may become a problem and has a backup plan if it is a problem.

Side note: While previewing this post I just realized I have a signature. When the hell did I get that?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
You may have minimal practice, but I have the least tourney experience which matters more. The last tourney MELEE tourney I attended was more than a year ago. Last smash tourney was in april, and that was brawl.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Correction, I have the least tourny experience. I got into smash later than anyone. My first tourny was a Catonsville smashfest in January '07. None of you can top that.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Correction, I have the least tourny experience. I got into smash later than anyone. My first tourny was a Catonsville smashfest in January '07. None of you can top that.
Yes I can. My first tourney was in the summer of 2007. Technically I had one before that but it was in november of 2004 when I didn't know how to wavedash, so I don't count it.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Because I didn't have time. I had no driver's license, and my mom was against it (highschool). You can ask rebel if you want. Basically he and occasionally alphazealot are the only people I played against for 2 and half years. I was rather infamous for posting that I was coming to a tourney and spamming the thread and then not coming. Ask plank, or chillin or anyone.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
but...what? We're all preemptively johning about how little practice we have. You just made yourself look good...which is the opposite effect.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
basically the old school redd ^^

You're right. But at least I COULD go if I wanted to, it's not hard. I'm kinda busy this month with college apps and stuff, but I will get to something eventually.

and I mean hey, I can still beat you, right luis? I must be doing something right =) (I'm not cocky, me and ck joke, to anyone who takes this the wrong way)

If I go I'm teaming with slik.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Scar - I'm also trying to help advertise this tournament. Chred(the host) said something about 40 people easy. All the familiar faces should be here at least, with plenty of new ones. If you guys come, it'll just make this tournament even sweeter =) and plus, you still have all those money matches lined up for you when you get here.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
La Plata is now the new location. Rebel and I checked it out today. Basically, it's got air conditioning, anyone can get into the basement (and it's easy to tailgate in through the front door) so we won't have to worry about people not being able to get in, and it's got AC. That may sound strange considering it's december, but with all the TVs running and people, it gets hot as balls. I'll update the first post with details.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who wants to pick me and cyrax up at the metro tomorrow morning? It's only about 2 miles away :)

Top Bottom