• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

She'll bash 'em up proper! Nia for Smash Switch!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Nia_artwork.png

NIA FOR SMASH SWITCH

INTRODUCTION

Nia is a character from the Xenoblade series in the game Xenoblade Chronicles 2. She is the 2nd party member you are able to play as.

Nia has a mysterious past and a prickly attitude, but she still cares for her friends and wants to help them achieve their goal of reaching the mythical place known as Elysium.

Nia is what is know as a Driver. Drivers are anyone who has the ability to bond with "core cystals" to release "Blades" and connect with them. Blades are beings that come with their own weapon and can also pull magical energy from the air called "ether" to use special powers.

Nia's main blade and companion is Dromarch. Nia can even ride on him when not in combat. Though she has been shown to ride on him during some battle cutscenes.

Dromarch is a water healer blade who grants Nia the Twin Rings weapon.

Why Nia?
maxresdefault.jpg

Nia is a very popular character from Xenoblade 2. I'll admit I don't really have the data, but every xenoblade 2 community typically always comes back with admiration for her. She has some of the best facial expressions in Xenoblade 2 and she can make moments absolutely hilarious during the game. However she also has a amazing character and people love seeing her grow as a person.

Of course a big shout out has to go to her voice actress. One of the major cool things about the xenoblade series in english(or at least the non-x ones), is the fact they use european voice actors. And in Xenoblade 2, each "titan" (country) that people grow up on comes with their own accent. Mor Ardians are Scottish for example. Nia grew up in Gormont so she has a Welsh accent. And let me tell you, a welsh accent is not something you hear everyday. It would really add a lot of spice and flair to Smash bros to hear her in Smash.

And continuing on about her voice, her lines are amazing. If you are a fan of the cheesy lines a lot of Smash bros characters say like Ike, Robin, Sonic, Shulk etc, she would make a fantastic addition to that as well. I would link a video, but the only real video I could find contains spoilers so you might have to find that on your own.
Gameplay

Now it is time to talk about the most important part about any character getting into smash, how would they play. As mentioned before, Nia's main companion and blade is Dromarch who comes with the twin rings weapon.

Twin Rings are interesting melee weapons. Involving more spinning and slashing movements of the arms and while using both of them. She can also throw them in some of her moves.

Thats not all she can do with them. Remember how I said blades could use special attacks? Well in Xenoblade 2, you can fill up a meter. Once the meter fills up, your character will hand their weapon back to their blade, allowing the blade to perform a special attack which can provide much more power. There are 4 stages to a blade special. Depending on how much you charge it will determine what blade special would be perform. However, no matter what blade special you perform it would go back to 0.

Ususally charging specials involve using arts, but for Smash it'll probably involve just connecting attacks on the opponent. These special attacks would most likely be tied to the neutral special. When the level is at 0, the neutral special will do nothing. But depending on what level the special is at, it'll do a specific special.

There is another thing as well. Nia's weapon is also a healing weapon. While I doubt she would have the standard heal move, there is the possibility of the hp potion move being implemented. Hp potion moves are arts where if you manage to connect it, an hp potion will drop from them. If you manage to go to the location of where it dropped, the team would get healed depending on the size of the potion. This could be an interesting healing mechanic because it would require you to not only get close to the opponent but also manage to hit them with the move and then pick up the potion. Could be an interesting way to balance out a healing effect.

Some extra things to consider. Nia riding Dromarch could potentially influence some of the moves she could do in smash which could be interesting in terms of moves. And Drivers could bring 3 blades into a battle. In theory that could potentially also work in smash. Transformation characters have been done in smash before. And that would be a couple steps below it. There are three "classes" of blades. Attacker, Healer, and Tank. Dromarch fills the healer role, so that leaves an attacker and a Tank. My vote is on Greataxe for Attacker and Chrome Katana for Tank. But that could be too big for this. Maybe all Nia really needs is Dromarch.

Next, let's talk final smashes. There are a couple ideas I hear floating around.

First would be to have her just use a chain attack like Shulk does. Techically XB2's chain attacks are different from XB1's but it certainly isn't as exciting as other possibilities.

Second is the idea of a third stage blade combo. Either Nia would use all three of her blades to form the combo and unleash a final special attack that spawns from the combo. Or two other party members from the game will appear to help her with the combo and then the final one (persumbly from Nia) would unleash a final special attack that spawns from the combo.

Finally there is one that is a spoiler.
A transformation final smash. Nia transforms into her blade form and uses her Catalyst Schimtar to deal a lot of damage to everyone.

Finally you may be asking yourself what is the point. There are a lot of things potentially stacked against her involving her just getting into smash. Sure, it might take a miracle. But a miracle could start by showing she is popular. Even if another Xenoblade character gets in the base game, that doesn't immediately disqualify potential dlc for example.

So please consider supporting Nia!

Thank you!

(Note this OP is still a work in progress. I will have points about her vs someone like Rex later).

Last edited:
Here she comes, Ready or Gormott.

Love Nia. Favorite character in the cast (although 5th is pretty fun so far.)

have yet to be the game, but she would be my current favorite choice for a newcomer, as unlikely as she would be.
:061:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I like Nia, but my choice for XBC2 if not Rex is 4th. And I would love to see 5th as an assist trophy.

But I would love it if Rex can use Nia as his blade, but unfortunately that might be too spoilerly for Sakurai

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't see it happening unfortunately as Rex is going to fill that bill (I mean, the game is kind of about him). If somehow Xenoblade 2 gets another character, she'd be great. You are right that she is the most popular driver of the 5 and she kind of has her own dedicated following. In my eyes, I'd be happy if she's an assist trophy.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest the [Unnamed Core Crystal] for her Final Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Found you Nia.
I definitely support. But, looks like there hasn't been that much talk about her lol.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Oh wow a new reply.

I think we all still support Nia, but it is hard to talk about a character who's chances are super slim. Like even someone like Rex making it into base game is low.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeh I guess there isn't as much hype. I really like the character tho. :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well for now we at least have Nia as a Mii costume, but its not enough. Though if they could give the mii brawler her dub voice, I would be sold.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well for now we at least have Nia as a Mii costume, but its not enough. Though if they could give the mii brawler her dub voice, I would be sold.
I do really hope it's an official mii costume that we can all use :)

I also hope that we can use the small version of mii brawlers, because i feel like the normal ones are pretty slow.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I do really hope it's an official mii costume that we can all use :)

I also hope that we can use the small version of mii brawlers, because i feel like the normal ones are pretty slow.
If they want to keep mii fighters balanced and tourny legal, they have to keep 1 size, which I think is the smartest thing to do

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If they want to keep mii fighters balanced and tourny legal, they have to keep 1 size, which I think is the smartest thing to do
I hope not, they feel too slow to me as they are, all 3 types of them, and I wouldnt use the regular size myself.
3 sizes like before isnt really bad. they were op before becuase of the helicopter kick. If they fixed it, it should be fine.

The nia mii fighter we saw was a small size, which is why she was so fast. But it could be just a spirits thing.
There's no problem with banning the small one if it ends up too good, but I'd rather have the option to play them. Gives another option for viable characters.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I hope not, they feel too slow to me as they are, all 3 types of them, and I wouldnt use the regular size myself.
3 sizes like before isnt really bad. they were op before becuase of the helicopter kick. If they fixed it, it should be fine.

The nia mii fighter we saw was a small size, which is why she was so fast. But it could be just a spirits thing.
There's no problem with banning the small one if it ends up too good, but I'd rather have the option to play them. Gives another option for viable characters.
Well have you played the normal mii fighters in ultimate yet? its possible they aren't too slow. plus the Mii could have had a poison mushroom effect for that fight.

Plus, when they showed making miis, I saw no option for sizes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well have you played the normal mii fighters in ultimate yet? its possible they aren't too slow. plus the Mii could have had a poison mushroom effect for that fight.

Plus, when they showed making miis, I saw no option for sizes.
They didnt have mii options there, they only had the default ones for those playable builds, which makes sense.

I've seen the mii fighters in ultimate, they move slow for the regular size. Im not saying they arent viable like that, but they dont seem good, and I personally wont feel like playing them if they'd only have that one. Which would be unfortunate, because I wanted to play them a bit.

After having said that though, I dont see why they wouldn't have the 3 sizes like before, unless you have something they showed or said.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
They didnt have mii options there, they only had the default ones for those playable builds, which makes sense.

I've seen the mii fighters in ultimate, they move slow for the regular size. Im not saying they arent viable like that, but they dont seem good, and I personally wont feel like playing them if they'd only have that one. Which would be unfortunate, because I wanted to play them a bit.

After having said that though, I dont see why they wouldn't have the 3 sizes like before, unless you have something they showed or said.
In the last direct they showed part of the mii fighter custimizable page, and they didn't list anything for sizes there, plus they said they are trying to make them avalible for online play and different sizes may make that difficult

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In the last direct they showed part of the mii fighter custimizable page, and they didn't list anything for sizes there, plus they said they are trying to make them avalible for online play and different sizes may make that difficult
The size was determined by the wii's mii creation, not in smash.

And like I said Nia's one was a small mii. I also think it'd be ridiculous to remove them, it's not like a scale of sizes, it's just 3. I really dont think they got; rid of them. Anyway, we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The size was determined by the wii's mii creation, not in smash.

And like I said Nia's one was a small mii. I also think it'd be ridiculous to remove them, it's not like a scale of sizes, it's just 3. I really dont think they got; rid of them. Anyway, we'll see soon enough.
But now there is no way to make mii's on the switch so it has to be in game now if it is at all.

And the issue with different sizes was all the different frame data and fall speed weight all that made it immpossible for them to be online, let along tourny banned

Teeb147

Smash Legend
But now there is no way to make mii's on the switch so it has to be in game now if it is at all.

And the issue with different sizes was all the different frame data and fall speed weight all that made it immpossible for them to be online, let along tourny banned
I dont know what youre on. None of that makes sense. there's nothing wrong with learning 3 sets of data, we do it for all characters anyway. and it wouldnt be hard to program on that front for online either.

"
Miis on switch
How to create a new Mii on Nintendo Switch
  • Select System Settings from the Home Screen on your Switch.
  • Scroll down and select Mii from the side menu.
  • Select Create/Edit a Mii.
  • Select Create New Mii.
  • Select Start from Scratch.
    [...]
"

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dont know what youre on. None of that makes sense. there's nothing wrong with learning 3 sets of data, we do it for all characters anyway. and it wouldnt be hard to program on that front for online either.

"
Miis on switch
How to create a new Mii on Nintendo Switch
  • Select System Settings from the Home Screen on your Switch.
  • Scroll down and select Mii from the side menu.
  • Select Create/Edit a Mii.
  • Select Create New Mii.
  • Select Start from Scratch.
    [...]
"
hmm, i never knew the switch had that function.

As for learning data, i have been following a bit the pro smash scene and I know Miis have been banned from the start. I myself always hated the ban but quite a few pros dislike the different sizes and how it could effect match ups.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
hmm, i never knew the switch had that function.

As for learning data, i have been following a bit the pro smash scene and I know Miis have been banned from the start. I myself always hated the ban but quite a few pros dislike the different sizes and how it could effect match ups.
That's not why they were banned, the main reason was because of custom moves, and because some of the custom moves (helicopter kick in particular) were way too unbalanced. The smaller miis could use that kick better, to kill someone at like 30% or something, and the normal sized ones could still do it too (at just a tad higher). There are a few other reasons too but I would say they're minor, but we have to see how it'll be in ultimate, before making judgments.

You keep saying things that either arent true or pull on things you dont fully know. Let's just drop the subject, i think it's best right now.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
That's not why they were banned, the main reason was because of custom moves, and because some of the custom moves (helicopter kick in particular) were way too unbalanced. The smaller miis could use that kick better, to kill someone at like 30% or something, and the normal sized ones could still do it too (at just a tad higher). There are a few other reasons too but I would say they're minor, but we have to see how it'll be in ultimate, before making judgments.

You keep saying things that either arent true or pull on things you dont fully know. Let's just drop the subject, i think it's best right now.
Alreight fine. sorry. This is just what I have heard and saw. I'm sorry I was mistaken.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright. Well getting back to Nia. I thought I'd post what was found up to now for her spirit and mii costume.

Ll5Y9t1.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Soo... not much?
Uh. Well we know there's a costume, and there's her spirit too ;P and there they are.
Besides that I just hope they give her her proper face, if there's a download code like before. If she's already in, I hope there's an easy way to make her face, including eyes, and all that.

Last edited:

papertiger

Smash Rookie
I was hoping for Nia to be a playable character, but I just saw that there's a Nia Mii costume, so I got a feeling that's all there is going to be. =(
No problem though, just means I'll be playing Mii fighters more xD

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was hoping for Nia to be a playable character, but I just saw that there's a Nia Mii costume, so I got a feeling that's all there is going to be. =(
No problem though, just means I'll be playing Mii fighters more xD
To be honest, I wasnt expecting anything at all. Besides maybe a spirit. But we got that plus a mii fighter costume. Going to get it for sure if it's not already in.
Her as a playable fighter would be a dream :)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Nia deserves to get in after Rex.

I only put Rex first cause main character Syndrome Smash has.

put me as a supporter! I tihkn she could have a unique healing mechanic, especially if they allow her to access

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nia was my favorite Xenoblade 2 character. She would be really unique in Smash as both a healer and a beast rider. I know there is very little chance but I’d be really happy if she made it in over Rex.

Top Bottom