• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik: Year One

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
Hello all.

suarsuar here, Resident Fraud General and I've come to post a thread that may serve as a bit of a nostalgia cannon.

So with the release of Smash 4 on the 3ds about year-ish and a month ago and the Wii U a year-ish ago, I think we can say we have seen huge strides in the metagame for a variety of characters -- and of course Sheik.

I wanted to open up a forum for discussion in which people can talk about things they used to do vs. things they do now.

For example, back in the day, I used to not space fairs.

Yeah, really.

I just sort of did it however because I didn't know any better and since then I do.

Back then I also used to not f-throw to bouncing fish since I didn't know how to and for a WHILE lmfaooo.

So yeah, take a second and think about it and post what you come up with so others can sort of revel in the collective laugh that is growing up.

Thanks for your responses!

P.S. this can serve as a neat jump off for people who are starting to main Sheik and can see clearly the path to optimization.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
At this point, I don't throw out a grenade off-stage instead of my intended recovery move.

It took me longer than I expected to get used to her Fair timing and spacing.

This was actually my first smash game, so I've developed in more ways than I can list here.

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
SD BOYS.

It happened to Zero at Pax back in the summer, it still happens to the best of us.

But I'm totally with you there.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
I used to not know she could wall cling and jump. Or wtf those things even were.
Didn't realise to use BF for recovery.

Didn't even know competitive smash was a thing until like 3 months after getting the game.
I'm actually okay now, so that's a huge change :p

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166

Just compare these two videos to see how far I've come in a bit less than a year lmao.

Got a bit better too since that second video cuz that was in november last year I believe. A lot can happen in ~4 months.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Before I had nothing to hate. Not even pre patch diddy

Now I absolutely hate ryu.

Yet the play style im starting to learn against ryu seems like the most optimal to play sheik, so I'm learning it. I treat every stock as if I'm at 200% once my starting combos stop working.

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
Before I had nothing to hate. Not even pre patch diddy

Now I absolutely hate ryu.

Yet the play style im starting to learn against ryu seems like the most optimal to play sheik, so I'm learning it. I treat every stock as if I'm at 200% once my starting combos stop working.
Ayyyyyy.

I used to think aggro Sheik was best Sheik and then I learned that I can't be aggressive since I am not keen enough to limit the amount of openings on myself.

Then I started to look more towards Optimal Sheik and that is certainly the Truth now.

Just fish, fish, fish all day for what you need with tilts, needles, and grabs -- no point jumping the gun when you don't have to.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Back then all I could do where Fair strings, and kill with bouncing fish lol.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Back in the day hu? ... well I used to ledge cancel my BF a lot, just because i thought it was cool. I still try it sometimes... oh and I always (believe me, ALWAYS) SD'd trying to use BF full length. Oh and let go ledge double jump fair. And the game is like "oh you didn't ment Dair? here is a dair." Well I still get those SD's, just not as frequent.
I used to play on battlefield all day every day. I never really used needles except at the very beginning of the match. I rolled alot (currently I'm playing the don't roll whatever happens sheik). Back then, rolls were still kidna great. I couldn't tech at all (even tho i played a few years of brawl and PM beforehand, where in the second you just have to tech, and i could. I just coudn't in smash 4). I still can't tech when playing online. I labbed sheik a lot. Trying to figure out the best stuff with sheik. I remember recording with a camera.
I don't think my playstyle has changed to much at all. I get more fair combos, Nair to dtilt is still my signature move. I still dash dance all over the place. It's great not havig to worry about trips. I stopped using Dsmash too much i guess.
I think thats most of it really, just some random thaughts i got.

Topskunium

Smash Rookie
My beginnings were probably the most humble. I was there, playing my friend, trying to call hitting a nade and needles at the same time the best combo she had... And I used Dair. Alot. I thought it was un-punishable lol.

As I was developing, I didn't learn to use needles properly. Now I basically play with just needles, Bouncing fish, Vanish, and Aerials on both sides and Nair. Also, an occasional misinput Nade... sadly... Didn't think I'd become so selective on these things lol.

I've come a long way, thankfully. I really wish I would have tournament footage to show, but Finland... We have like 2 tournaments a year...

Last edited:
Top Bottom