• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vs Luigi Match up

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
My best friend plays Luigi and over the past couple of weeks he's coming much better at the game to the point where I am struggling to win. Something I have noticed is that a lot of my moves are either being out right beaten, they clash or he can get out of my combos with ease.

Does anyone have any tips they would be willing to share as to how to win the Sheik vs Luigi match-up?

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Definitely focus on your neutral game. Basically needles and SHFF fair are your best friend, as Luigi gets pushed back when his shield is hit so it's very difficult for him to punish. You have the ability to force Luigi to approach, so you should take advantage of his lack of safe options. All he has that's safe is back air, and you can beat most of his aerial options with an instant fair. Make it as hard as possible for him to get in.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
ok, cheers for the advice. I did a little looking up around the SHFF FAir on shield and didn't realise he slides on shield. I seem to be getting caught a lot during the SHFF FAir still though. I've noticed using Dash into shield has been very useful. I think a lot of my issue might just be timing and spacing from what your saying since my moves are getting beat a lot. I'll put some time into spacing and timing of moves and see if that helps :)

Null2000

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1864-9953-6648
If you're having trouble spacing make sure you are using the control stick for Fairs instead of the A button. Retreating Fairs are super safe and can bait "out of shield" reactions.

Jontho

Smash Rookie
Also, be ready to gimp his recovery when he's offstage with either Fair or Bouncing Fish

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Also, be ready to gimp his recovery when he's offstage with either Fair or Bouncing Fish
Fair isn't that reliable off stage because it's only active for one frame. falling nair or bouncing fish, more like

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Fair isn't that reliable off stage because it's only active for one frame. falling nair or bouncing fish, more like
Ah this is really useful to know thanks, although when I do this I end up being the one getting gimped due to the cyclone recovery and then get knocked into a stage spike. I tend to go for nair since I'm more comfortable using it off stage, I will trying to get more comfortable using bouncing fish and see if that helps :)

Thanks for all the responses, these are really helpful!

::EDIT::

If you're having trouble spacing make sure you are using the control stick for Fairs instead of the A button. Retreating Fairs are super safe and can bait "out of shield" reactions.
Just thought of something relating to this, I use the control stick for all aerials except nair's as I find it hard to get the nairs consistent. Is this common or a problem, should I work on using control stick for nairs as well?

Last edited:

Jontho

Smash Rookie
Not at all as necessary as C-Stick Fairs. Very few top players use C-Stick Nairs (Void comes to mind). It's definitely benificial as it can extend combos with the extra control over your character. It's not mandatory though, but does help.

HartG21

Smash Cadet
My best friend plays Luigi and over the past couple of weeks he's coming much better at the game to the point where I am struggling to win. Something I have noticed is that a lot of my moves are either being out right beaten, they clash or he can get out of my combos with ease.

Does anyone have any tips they would be willing to share as to how to win the Sheik vs Luigi match-up?
This match-up can be tricky at times. The way I like to play it is super defensive and reactive.

In the neutral I camp needles and then when they try to approch I run up fair or grab. When I get a grab at low-mid percents I f-throw i to fair or bf. At high-kill percents I fthrow to U-air.

Another thing to note is that luigi can nair out of alot of your fair strings (which you already know). To counter this I like to fair once or twice then sheil and wait for the nair, then punish.

Edge guarding is very important in this match-up as well. When you get him off stage you dont want to let him back on with out a good 30-40 damage if not the stock entirely. Try to force him into side - Bing back onto stage once you do that you punish every side - B with bouncing fish for the stock (be ready to stage tech incase his side b is a missfire).

I hope this helps!

xaviersykora

Smash Rookie
NNID
xaviersykora
When fighting against a Luigi or a Yoshi (anyone with a dumb 3-frame-waytoomuchpriotity neutral air), I use the rule of twos. I'll hit him with a fair followed with a nair (as opposed to another fair for more damage output), then run back defensively and charge needles or bait an approach from them. Almost always anticipate a grab when being approached by the Luigi, as that's pretty much their entire neutral game. Other then that, abuse the extra safety on shield, edge guard opportunities, and don't get upsmashed.

Another note: This applies less to Sheik, but in general when playing against a Luigi be weary of their down special in an edge guard situation. You don't really want to challenge it (though I guess you might be able to style on them and trade your dair with it..?) and just punish the massive end lag after the fact with a bair or nair into the stage.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Thanks to everyone for all the advice, it's been a while since I asked. I've put a lot of time practising and am really starting to catch up. I think what I was lacking was real practice as well as a good enough understanding of how Luigi works and how I can abuse his weaknesses! We are now going much more even than before (more likely 60:40 in his favour but it's a vast improvement than previously) I've even managed to win a few sets in tournament as well!

So yeah, thanks everyone!

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
Another thing to note with edge guarding. Try to make a conscious effort to not expend your double jump unless absolutely necessary.
Example: you go off for an edge guard, and even though you hit, the luigi makes it back to the lip of the stage first. (Not every edge guard will be perfect)
it is WAY too easy to hit the two frame on your recovery for a luigi using Down Special. and if they do it right, it will spike, so you need to make sure you have a double jump any time that scenario hits.

Top Bottom