• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Dcold

Smash Lord
I know lmao, I need to actually get better at this game rather than relying on gimmicks. I got that ass on ladder though Asa, SEE ME ;D

loljkplsdonthurtmeandteachmetheolimarmumore

-dcold

Dcold

Smash Lord
Ed, I think from just watching you play that you platform cancel with Dair, amirite?

Castle Siege CP, why? I've never had an opinion on the stage really.

I think at times you chose to over commit with uSmash, when it really wasn't necessary. I'm not the best vs Snake, but damage on us is way more important than damage on him. In some of the situations I think a sh Uair would have done the job just as well, with less risk as you can get a little away if it misses, and it AC's. Maybe I've just fallen in love with Uair. I'd rather save my trades with Snake for juggle opportunities and Ftilts when it's in my favor/just in case the Snake doesn't know, lolololol.

THAT LAST DEATH CAUSED ME PHYSICAL PAIN MAN. In my head I was just screaming "Please don't land on the C4".

TL;DR Snake is a *******

I can't really help you in the snake MU cause i blow at it too, but it looked like u made a bunch of minor mistakes that cost u pretty heavily, you really gotta focus on precision in this MU, because any and all punishes are devastating. I also don't think its worth staying sheik for kills, you have a good zelda, even if shes horrible and the MU blows for her, i still think u have a better chance finishing stocks as her.

You know how I feel about zelda, but I've been practicing the snake MU as solo zelda to get better at it

I've only really skimmed through the set but ill watch more closely when i get home/over the weekend

Dcold

Smash Lord
Game 1: You don't have to panic recover, the MK you were facing wasn't trying very hard to gimp you, so with your double jump you could return from basically anywhere that wasn't ridiculously far away as long as you don't panic.

If MK is above you while you're on the ground and he's not dair camping, or inbetween dairs, then just uptilt him to bat him away.

*Important* Learn how to b-reverse. You generally want to stay on the ground in this MU, so doing those turn around jumping b-reverses you're doing more harm than good, and it can become a bad habit vs better MKs. They can rush in and force you into a bad game of RPS, which you don't want. Your ground game is a much better option than his air game and you're REALLY close to him, so you can just do more twerk inside.

Generally I think you shouldn't stale your up smash so much, if you know how to dacus and grab release then you won't want it to be stale when you can kill someone who has decent DI at 85% with it, especially on FD. I suggest ending your ftilt locks with uptilts or fairs/uairs. They keep you on the ground, and him in the air, and do the same damage output as an up smash.

In general, try to work on how fluid your movement is, don't really hesitate, be firm with the options you're going to pick, and have confidence with what you're going to do. Also try not to spotdodge so much in his face, I don't really remember a whole bunch of the spotdodging but sometimes it would really hurt, and just try mixing up from the ledge more. Overall, decent match, just bad SD.

Game 2: Stop fishing for the kill :[[ Rack up damage and the kill will come to you eventually. MK isn't heavy, so he'll die from something like fair or nair/bair/uair eventually.

Also, use more needles, safe mid range damage.

Like I said, pick the option that keeps you on the ground, aerials aren't the devil, but use them sparingly and when it's safe too. Basically, don't throw them out just to throw them out, have a reason for it. That goes with everything really, besides needles (when you're in a safe position), but still they shouldn't just be thrown for no reason.

Anything else is just same as above tbh.

I do all of this too, so it's not like I'm trying to be high and mighty, just some things I noticed, hope I helped.

I think the main thing I saw was lack of confidence. You gotta like, trust in your instincts sometimes, I saw you make a bunch of plays, that would have been plays but u kind of froze up last minute, and then took free damage from it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Ed punish snakes land options with upB it covers a huge area under him he can't punish it especially if you can get the a ledge or a platform. (beat all his land options except nade landing) Infact once they are to the point where vanish kills... punish everyones landing options with vanish.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
http://youtu.be/hlZooiZX9nI vs Atomsk.

Critique please??
Good stuff scary watched the whole match. Your sheij is so clean. I don't really think there's much you did wrong, you played really well this matchup is so frustrating because you spend tons of time at the edge with DDD just standing there with that 16% bs bthrow.

I think you were a little too safe in that last game. I think after you condition your opponents that your going to punish their air dodges after throws, you can start being more aggressive and going for immediate followups after throws and such.

Also, start looking into b reversing offstage so you have access to bair, you'd be surprised how much it beats out.

Also in the DDD matchup I use bair a lot. Fully spaced DDD can't grab you and if you use the frontal bair it crosses up and places you behind them with them facing the wrong direction....its really good.

Loved the platform cancel shenanigans and your use of needles.

Would post more but on mobile phone.

yessssss

btw i just took 3rd at a Michigan local, 1 loss to loe1 in pools, and 1 loss to zinoto in winners. I wa sin losers finals but nobody wanted to play anymore because the tournament got held up by like 2 hours because of cross entrance in P:M, and we were supposed to leave the venue by 10:30, and LF would have started at like 10:45 lol

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
There are a ton of links so just looking at the first one at the moment, I would say that you need to utilize more needles on his landings when you aren't trying to stalk him with Utilts and aerials. I really liked your edgeguarding attempts and your slow playing of Wario. You really kept him on his toes at all times just by walking in his general area. The deliberate style also had some downsides because it just seemed that you were lacking mixups on your pressure, becoming a bit more readable. Also, careful with Ftilts on Wario in general just because of the whole "bike out to pick up" thingy. It got you burned towards the end, but I really liked how you baited the first one.

In the BF match, I really like your spacing of Ftilt on his shield and just in general. That and you changed up how many you would do just because of the bike thingy. Nice adjustment. Just as a note, you can GR Usmash Wario even if the platform is in the way. You just need to do it fast or else it'll get shielded. The chain was hysterical as well as that nice tech chase on his second stock lol. That was just a solid game in every aspect.

I think the only thing I can add for Wario, is for sometimes to change the pace of the match. I like the slow playing and like how it countered a lot of what he wanted to do but just as a mixup you can change the pace and make yourself a little more unpredictable. Good stuffs!

Really like the gimp on SK's first stock, that was just smooth. I think you were taking too much grenade damage, that's gotta be minimized. That run up Vanish attempt... interesting. I mean, it can work but perhaps pick a spot where you won't get hurt so bad. Your Zelda still needs some work. Especially at such a kill percentage, mixing in some grabs and Dtilts would be safe since you know he will be shielding and defending from smash attacks like the plague. The last stock was really just a clinic. One thing though, definitely be careful with some of your commitments, especially trying to follow Bthrow. You will eat his Bair every time if he throws it out so bait it some of the times if he DIs it like he kept doing. You can hurt him bad once you start that mixup.

That first death vs. KSev was just unfortunate. Really Unfortunate; however you should have that angle, especially if you've been practicing Zelda. When you respawned, you took way too much damage trying to land a kill. You know not to fish lol. I also hate Snake Nair.....that move murders me. You did a great job bringing it back and nice spacing of the Fsmash for the kill. That Fsmash you ate....oof. In the match as a whole, I think you were losing the close range battle since he was landing bigger blows with Ftilt. I know you can't avoid all of them but you have to limit them.

The second game with KSev, you start out losing the close range battle again. Nades and tilts. Try using a little more speed imo. When you transformed, that was a really unsafe time to do it and you at 50% about 2 seconds. You got the kill yea, but try picking safer times to do so. Your second stock, you did a much better job with moving around hitboxes and your general movement. Towards the end of the second stock, that was just awesome how you were conditioning him with your movement. Really good stuff! When you see Snake jabbing near the ledge...you can't eat that lol. I am not too sure how to feel about when you got hit with 5 straight Dthrows other than you thought he wouldn't think to keep picking that option lol. That ultimately cost you that match.

In the second match with SK, you ate a ton of Ftilts on your first stock. Have to limit those. They hurt. So many DACUSs lmao. That was just funny to me. You know that can hurt ya but if you get away with it, sweet! What were all those rolls and empty runs? Mountain shenanigans were funny. Overall this game was just really silly. Not much to say as far as strict analysis.

The last game with KSev also had a really funny start. Blindly run into all the pain lol. Still, you took the first stock so another nice comeback. Gotta calm that down. LOL Zelda on that 2nd stock. I enjoyed that. That Ending too......

The gameplay in this match with Sheik was really solid overall. Try to limit your rolls vs MK since he can be everywhere to cover them. You really look at home on Lylat. I will say that LOE1's MK doesn't look that clean so be careful with some of the decisions against better MKs. More needles and a little more detail to spacing.

With the ROB match, I liked how you slow played and took your time with a lo that he was doing. I actually have been struggling with this MU as of late with 8bitman and LIES down here in FL. Between watching you dictate to Ori and what MVD did with 8bitman, I'm sure I can learn a bit with this one. Spaced Ftilts and generally being midrange with ROB really messes him up. I also really liked the pressure you put on him offstage. You weren't to risky which was good. I also really liked your Utilt usage on his spotdodges. Nice game here.

Also, really dunno how to comment on the ICs game. Like not at all. I did like how you were able to get separations but 10/10 times I'm gonna go Zelda here so I sadly cannot help ya with this one.

The last Marth game was really just ugly. I think you were just angry after the grab to spike nonsense so you were playing mad. I've seen you play better against Marth beofre.

Ok, I think I hit everything.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJZsGkl1qE vs. MVD

@Ed- ill read those when I get home, I'm in GA right now at a con tournament > shout outs to billy btw. I got #wrecked tho.

@Mars- I might be a little more upset about that, but I can only really count 1 summer of my life seriously attempting to improve at brawl.

Edit: nvm I read all of Ed's critque, I'll re watch the videos with those things in mind. I should have a set vs Zinoto and a set vs Ori being uploaded soon (tournament), if you guys are still down to watch me be awful.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
oh man Scary you made me hold my breath in anticipation from 14:28-14:46. I wanted to see the glorious ftilt into usmash so badly, do you think Shaky button smash out of the grab so quickly because he knew it was coming?

I wish I could give you advice on the Ness match up =( his fair is too stronk and does a great job zoning sheik out.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I think I need to in depth my game 4 really hard since that was the one I jumped on him but couldn't close.
Well Sheik has always had a problem with sealing the deal and I think you would of had it IF shacky didn't get out of that grab insanely quickly...like he was over 100% and you only had enough time to pummel him once, maybe twice as I imagine you hesitated a bit not wanting to put him at too high of a percentage. If I were you I would ask him what technique he use to escape grabs and mimic it for yourself. Although I'm sad you lost you gotta respect the skill of the Ness player.

Not to sound like a broken record from six years ago but Sheik lives and dies by her Ftilt. In round 1 you seem unable to ever really get in there and ftilt him which make Sheik as a character a lot worst, I counted and you only used ftilt twice. Meanwhile in the 4nd match you used the Ftilt a lot more, heck on the first stock you did a sexy little fair string into bair ftilt lock combo which you then followed up with a fake out into another ftilt. After that you successfully landed a couple other moves including ftilts you finish with a strong Nair making Ness reach 95%. Unfortunately this is where Sheik high tier stats ends as at that moment was your last to make Ftilt into usmash possible, soon after you hit with a bair which might of been unavoidable. With Ness now at 107% I think you were fishing for the ftilt which might of worked but soon gave up and switch to randomly fishing for a dacus hit, after the punishment and your grab shenanigans you switch to vanish which honestly I was surprised because I would of done the same thing, especially since it was fresh.>.<' This is just my personal preference but I would of used more vanish trickery if I was playing..then again your a much better player then me fighting probably much better opponents so...yeah.. Thinking more logically it's most likely a good thing you only tried each trick once as it keeps you unpredictable.

Then again thinking back the reason why I love vanish so much was because you could use it as a sort of counter and against characters like Ness who have to commit to their aerials it would work especially well. That's assuming you can predict them a solid half a second or so before but like I said it's just a preference thing. Sorry I begin to analyze your video interesting sheik fact at a time but I'm going to stop here... I guess my last thought is that you were a bit too aggressive and lots of Ness punishment was because you approach him.

edit: I'm pretty sure you could of figure this all out on your own but maybe after reading what I wrote I'll save you a few minutes so you can build upon it some more.

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Much appreciated!!

Shaky avoids ftilt like the goddamn plague lmao. It's so hard to really find proper opportunities to get it in lol. Sometimes I think I need to just throw it more but self discipline makes me not do it.

Top Bottom