• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Much appreciated!!

Shaky avoids ftilt like the goddamn plague lmao. It's so hard to really find proper opportunities to get it in lol. Sometimes I think I need to just throw it more but self discipline makes me not do it.
Ya it's rough since it's really hard to 'combo' into Ftilt and the room for error when safely applying shield isn't much. I remember thinking about this a lot and the best solution I came up with is a hyper reactive defensive walking style that rely heavily on mix up's on her dtilt, jabs, utilt and ftilt to thwart my opponents away instead of shielding mix with some fox trot into dash attacks and instant dash attacks to interrupt my opponents , grabs and the occasional vanish either for the sake of being random or because I knew they were about to jump on me.

Edit: I never had much luck using this against Ness though, his fair is just too good.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Mr.Eric visited my home, and we played for quite a bit (by bit I mean about 30+ matches). I recorded all of the matches, but only uploaded these four. Would really appreciate some criticism. I really dont have much R.O.B experience. Especially with the lack of good brawl players in the area. I also apologize for the terrible cropping. I only realized it afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCh8RYEJ7ow&index=1&list=UUwfpXCT3jh5a0gVkzLNS8Bw vs :rob:
(I got EXTREMELY overzealous in match 4. Cringe warning.)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
If you hit jump while mashing out you'll jump release. and from there you can dacus and get him. If he ground releases you can ftilt then grab him or dash grab him again. so it is pretty low risk.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@ Absol Absol
First game I enjoyed your Ftilt and Utilt usage and generally your choice to walk around the stage rather than dash around and go too fast. Your juggling was strong throughout as well. There were too many occasions where you just let yourself get hit by ROB's Nair. It seemed like you were either wanted to challenge it or Powershield it and it just appeared that you would just stand there and eat it. Based off the first match, I would like to see more needles out of you and not just that, but being more mobile with your needles so it doesn't seem predictable when they are thrown.

Second match starts out really really well but there was a stretched where you seemingly were fishing for Ftilt -> Usmash and you actually had one opportunity for the tipper when he was around the 90s but you cannot allow yourself to have stretches where you're trying to force a kill and you start eating chunks of damage. Pretty much the difference between going into the next stock with a huge lead and having a close game otherwise. Second stock you did get it and look at the lead it gave you. It makes a world of difference. It appears you land Ftilt a lot when the opponet is at 0% and you try to go into normal Ftilt strings. On Mr. Eric it was working but on opponents who know about Sheik, I would opt to go for Ftilt -> Grab at early damages and then look for juggle attempts. Also, poor choice on trying to go offstage to get ROB. It made you dead. Some characters you just shouldn't go bug offstage and ROB falls into the category. I admire that you stick to a walk-oriented game and dedicated staling of your Ftilt. It won you Game 2 but I want you to be careful with it in the case of your opponent playing a more space oriented game. Do it until the brakes fall off but once it stops working, make sure you have contingency plans.

Third match looks like the beginning of the second match where you did a great job of staling your Ftilt and this time I liked the fact you didn't hesitate to transform to Zelda after sending him away. Now I tell every Sheik this, it looks to me that your Zelda needs some work. He had a lay-up kill opportunity on your recovery and he blew it and tripped into your Dsmash. YOu really don't like ROB Nair I can see. I noticed that you were fishing DACUS on the end of his last stock since you couldn't land Ftilt -> Usmash any longer. In those situations, rely on your needles and Jab strings. jab2 -> Dsmash or jab2 -> Nair can help you greatly. When you have a considerable lead like that, the last thing you wanna do with a character like ROB is force a kill offstage. That is his domain. Though you won the match, it could have ended badly for you. Don't play into your opponent's hands if you don't have to.

Final match is more of the same. Delicious Ftilt staling eventually leading to Ftilt Usmash. @ Tristan_win Tristan_win is your new best friend once he watches these matches. You also put some nice damage on him before you finally died. Careful of charging smashes and holding it. If you get hit holding that charge, you're also 20% lighter so if your DI isn't opn point, you're dead because Sheik = Paper. You had another one of those lulls where you ate 60% fishing out Ftilt -> Usmash. You got it, good, but limit that damage taken man. Another poor choice in going offstage to go get ROB. He looked like he was just waiting for ya, and he read your double jump when you tried to apply pressure. Sometimes its better to just sit on your lead. A lot of fishing on your last stock eventually ended you.

Overall, great Ftilt stuff and I like the walking style but I think you need to vary up your style so you have something to fall back on when you no longer can get Ftilt -> Usmash. You need a ton more needles and my homework to you is to learn the grounded wavebounce needles. You will up your mobility and unpredictability with needles learning this. Also, don't fish. Don't do it. In those situations, just fight as normal and take what is given to you. Sit on your lead and don't force the issue if it isn't necessary.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Thanks Ed. The stale formula works well and can get me really early sheik kills (which is what I'm most proud of with my sheik) but relying solely on it is just asking for it to be dissected. It took me awhile to remember the proper stale to usmash that i actually had to make a system in my head for it. But if that's all my sheik has going for it, its going to stop working. I'll need to shift gears more often and change play styles. Hopefully you'll see a big improvement of me from now til Shuffle. I never thought I'd see a second Sheik/Zelda in the bracket. It gets....lonely.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
@ Absol Absol your videos are amazing, your dedication to your walking style is really stunning. It honestly reminds me a lot of my own when I tried to make Ftilt the center of my Sheik play but I think you taken it a step farther then I ever did as you seem to remove a lot of aspects of Sheik. I have to hand it to you though your ftilt control is fantastic. You make me feel I didn't waste those many many hours I spent looking at all those raw numbers when I tried to make them into a somewhat understandable format. I'm glad that even years after I made my thread people are still able to stand on the shoulders of Innocentroads, Rathy Aro, and myself to reach new heights.

I hate to give you the same advice as Scary if only for the sake of being redundant but he is right. Right now your Sheik is very lopsided I see you making the right decisions the majorly of the time with the tools you are good with but playing with just those tools will in the end hold you back. What really amaze me is you focus on Sheik best, hardest to use tool so now that you have a good grasp on how to use it you can now work your way down to collect whatever you missed.

If I may I think I'll follow Scary example about the homework. My homework for you is to insert crawling/crouching into your play. I feel you got hit by a lot of Rob attack that you shouldn't of because you just didn't shield in time. By crouching you not only make Sheik hurt box drastically smaller but if a attack is above you by shielding you will automatically stand into the attack and power shield, I also personally found crouching with the walking style to be very helpful. This could also help you introduce dtilt more into your play as dtilt is a surprising good combo starter in the very low % and can be used as a anti air against some characters but for now just add crouching to your current style and see how much it helps. I think that's the best advice I can give you without trying to change your current style.

I don't know when but I would like to hyper analyze a part of your video at some point so I might edit this post in the future

@ #HBC | Scary #HBC | Scary I disagree with you about not trying to gimp Rob. His nair is amazing but it has a huge built in flaw that he has to commit to it due to how long the move takes to come out and last. By using vanish you can score many hits on Robs who mindlessly nair everything. Once they learn to fear vanish uairs will start to work because of the timing difference. The same could be argue about his fair and dair but a much lesser extend, throwing out vanish on robs works so well because it punish their hubris of being so untouchable in the air.

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@ #HBC | Scary #HBC | Scary I disagree with you about not trying to gimp Rob. His nair is amazing but it has a huge built in flaw that he has to commit to it due to how long the move takes to come out and last. By using vanish you can score many hits on Robs who mindlessly nair everything. Once they learn to fear vanish uairs will start to work because of the timing difference. The same could be argue about his fair and dair but a much lesser extend, throwing out vanish on robs works so well because it punish their hubris of being so untouchable in the air.
Agreeing to disagree but it's based off past experience. My training partner is 8bitman and he just doesn't allow himself to get hit by any vanishes. Perhaps as a trap for when they try to drop a Nair on you but going offstage with ROB over time is a simple death wish that doesn't pay off on the long run. His hit boxes are just meatier than ours so if they are preemptively thrown, we get stifled and placed into really bad places. The better thing may be to condition him with juggles and bait out Nair. As far as going off stage with him, perhaps as a surprise once in a while but nothing to make a habit out of at all.

@ Absol Absol
I look forward to seeing it man! Don't think that's all you have going for you but I wanted to drive home the point that you have to vary your style (perhaps only a little) when the situation calls. DO ALL YOUR HOMEWORK LOL!

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Agreeing to disagree but it's based off past experience. My training partner is 8bitman and he just doesn't allow himself to get hit by any vanishes. Perhaps as a trap for when they try to drop a Nair on you but going offstage with ROB over time is a simple death wish that doesn't pay off on the long run. His hit boxes are just meatier than ours so if they are preemptively thrown, we get stifled and placed into really bad places. The better thing may be to condition him with juggles and bait out Nair. As far as going off stage with him, perhaps as a surprise once in a while but nothing to make a habit out of at all.

@ Absol Absol
I look forward to seeing it man! Don't think that's all you have going for you but I wanted to drive home the point that you have to vary your style (perhaps only a little) when the situation calls. DO ALL YOUR HOMEWORK LOL!
I know this might be a poor suggestion but have played around with quickly and suddenly approaching him into vanish? If sheik is fast enough maybe you can get the jump on him and force him to react poorly melee style.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
One thing I had a lot of trouble with at Dayton is edge options when trying to get back on the stage, Then I watched Ed video for probably the 8th time and notice this

I dont know how I managed to forget, but now I'm reminded that some characters have attacks with leftover I.F from the edge. What aerials are generally okay to mix up with her invincibility. Her Fair was the first thing that came to mind, but that range it pitiful unless they're right on the edge. Nair maybe?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@ Tristan_win Tristan_win
Like run up vanish?

If you mean this, it's one of those "every so often see what happens" kinda things.

@ Absol Absol
Hard Nair maybe, I also like crossover Bair if available. Soft Nair might fool people sometimes, same with last second Dair. Sheik is limited here and this is where you'd be likely to take the majority of your damage. Sometimes I'll just get up and run away lol.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Oh, and thanks again Tristian. I'll see what new things I can come up with using craw/dilt, along with Ed's advice. Lopside is a pretty firm definition of my sheik right now. At least all I have left is the easy stuff. Let me know if you decide to hyper analyze my videos like you mention. I'll need all the help I can get. Buying this capture card is probably the best investment I've made in quite awhile.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
@ Tristan_win Tristan_win
Like run up vanish?

If you mean this, it's one of those "every so often see what happens" kinda things.

@ Absol Absol
Hard Nair maybe, I also like crossover Bair if available. Soft Nair might fool people sometimes, same with last second Dair. Sheik is limited here and this is where you'd be likely to take the majority of your damage. Sometimes I'll just get up and run away lol.
No I mean if you waited until rob is just about finish recovering as he enter mid screen height only to dash into a full hop and before you even finish raising to your full height go into up B. It doesn't sound much but if Sheik is quick enough maybe this speed trick would work on someone like Rob.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Set 1: That first game was amazing, especially finishing it off with a grab release DACUS. I'm also envious of your prestigious power shielding. With that in mind I do feel as if you've turned it into an impulse. At the four minute mark there are two occasions where ZZS shot a stun towards you, and followed up with a dash attack. You blocked the stun with ease, but it seemed to give you no pay off. I think if you would of crouch his projectiles more and instead shielded his follow ups you would be able to punish easier. The second game was pretty much a fluke in my honest opinion. It happens to the best of us. In the third game I think opening up with Fair was hurting you a lot, as well as the missed grabs. Jab was defiantly your friend towards the end with how quick it is, and it won you the set. It also got yourself some good Dsmashes. Point in case while throws can give us more options, missing grabs almost makes it not worth it when were in a bad spot.

Set 2: Bring out the Ftilts because that was a great string you got at 8:35. At any point in time if you can Ftilt him, do it. While our styles vary greatly I find ROB to be one of the easiest characters to Ftilt to a free usmash. When you had him at about 90% all you needed was about two more since you already had two or so in your cache. Its annoying to keep track of, but if its for the satisfaction if killing early with Sheik its so worth it. But hey, I don't have a decent enough Zelda to make up for it. That Zelda Usmash is ROB's bane. Good use of Utilt while hes on the platform as well. On Fridgate is when things starting to go down hill. That DACUS on 12:50 put you in a really bad spot and soon after took a stock. I would of fell for the same thing too actually. I did not expect him to hop. Other than that the stage seemed like your enemy more than 8bit. He really has that stage mapped out. On smashville I'm going to have to give you the same speech from battlefield. Your rush down sheik is complimented well with your zelda, but I still think you should practice with decay Ftilt more. Once you switched to zelda you ate a lot of damage and diminished your lead. I noticed on your second stock you attempted to do just that, but because you didnt implement Ftilt more it couldnt be pulled off.

Set 3: On game one you are really relying on Fair hitting a lot, and it just wasn't happening, You got over aggressive this game and it seemed he was always one step ahead. This really did transfer over to the other games as well. Throughout this whole set the only thing I can really make of it that i haven't already said is that percent on you was more important than percent on him.

Set 4: 2doubles4me.

That's honestly all I have....and I finally crossed this off my bucket list. Also I should add that I wont be able to go to this upcoming shuffle Ed. Especially since they changed the date and we have not heard of any update for the venue in awhile. So...you better bring us some videos from shuffle. Who knows how many brawl sheik videos we'll get after November 21st.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Shame to hear you won't make it man. I'll keep my fingers crossed since it's a month out, and maybe things change.

I enjoy your take on these and will try to rework my application. My only rebuttals are that 8bit treats Ftilt like the bubonic plague so it's hard to work them in sometimes. Nevertheless, that is something that needs to be landed more you're right. I was also playing with a frustrated mindset since I kept tripping and stuff. Threw off my normal "wade in and obliterate" gameplan.

Much appreciated!!!

Me vs QD :lucario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3cdlXlKb0k&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
Me vs Zyth :dk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHODSFu8aTk&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
Me vs Chibo :rob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irfuEzYM0cI&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
Me vs Ksev :snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpcCgpltEWQ&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA

I didn't play nearly as polished as I would have liked, and **** snake, but thats about the best I can expect after not playing for 4 months. I still look really cool though

Top Bottom