• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Q's&A's/Videos/Gen Discussion

KingsGambit27

Smash Cadet
Considering the discussion up to this point, if an opponent consistently option selects to DI down on all of shiek's throws, does sheik have absolutely no follow ups on downwards DI for either back throw or down throw?

Another question - are there any combos or reliable follow ups into Up Smash? Preferably sweet spotted of course. Thanks for helping out a new sheik main.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You can either drop down bair to catch them as they reel up and keep bairing them away or stick a nair in their way. You can also shoot needles if they tether high enough. I think you can force the ledge jump and ledge hop fair them at mid-high percents but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Sheik is one of the best characters for punishing tethers imo.
Lingering hitboxes, of which she has from Bair and Nair are great at hitting tether recoveries offstage. You can just drop down from the ledge and leave a hitbox in the way of the arc that the tether will force the opponent to go once they use it. They can't really wait out the hitbox like they would be able to do against a character like Marth; if they try to wait out your sex kicks they will just put themselves too low to recover anyways (this is assuming you yourself timed your edgeguard well).
Needles are also a great tool for dealing with tethers... and every recovery ever. Needle are absolutely incredible and you should definitely accustom yourself to the timing/positioning on aerial needles to punish various angles that your opponent could recover from.
Sheik also has reverse Fair which is fantastic at punishing the forced hop from tethers if you are holding the ledge when they try to reel up. Drop from the ledge, double jump to chase the forced tether hop, and the reverse Fair is basically free. I always go for the reverse Fair myself, but I bet you could also do stuff like ledgedash Dsmash or w/e to punish the tether hop.

One thing to practice is dealing with Zair tethers; Zair characters like Link and Lucas can tether to the stage and then almost immediately cancel the tether into an Up B or other move. It makes their tethers far more safe than strictly tether recoveries like Ivy and Olimar. With practice though you can punish this though with Bair/Nair. So like, if Link wants to tether to the stage, and then cancel it into an Up B you can just drop from the ledge and tag him with an easy Bair as he Up B's.

D

Deleted member

i played s chu for a couple hours last night, sheik vs kirby isnt as bad as i thought

mario is still a ****** though

mario confirmed ******

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
What are Sheik's worst matchups in Project M? What are her best matchups as well?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I was wondering if some Sheiks could contribute to the Triforce of Wisdom thread over in the Zelda forums. We're talking about Shielda gameplay, and what advantages Sheik has over Zelda, or just what Sheik has to offer in general. Please go visit over there if you can Sheik mains!!!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I was wondering if some Sheiks could contribute to the Triforce of Wisdom thread over in the Zelda forums. We're talking about Shielda gameplay, and what advantages Sheik has over Zelda, or just what Sheik has to offer in general. Please go visit over there if you can Sheik mains!!!
How is the Sheik vs Zelda MU in your opinion? What should Sheik do/avoid in that Matchup?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Another quick question! What affects transformation time more: the SD card or the disc/ISO? Or something else?

I USB load and my Zelda/Sheik transformation seems kinda slow, at least when compared to some videos online.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Another quick question! What affects transformation time more: the SD card or the disc/ISO? Or something else?

I USB load and my Zelda/Sheik transformation seems kinda slow, at least when compared to some videos online.
Fastest transform is achieved by flash drive/SSD loading an iso. Discs and extrenal hard drives are slower.

Considering the discussion up to this point, if an opponent consistently option selects to DI down on all of shiek's throws, does sheik have absolutely no follow ups on downwards DI for either back throw or down throw?

Another question - are there any combos or reliable follow ups into Up Smash? Preferably sweet spotted of course. Thanks for helping out a new sheik main.
Boost grab covers DI away on lots of characters at mid percents. Basically anything you can hit with a dash attack (even the stupid flubby tip hitbox which is the best situation for boost grab). And when they get punished for the correct DI it really messes with their heads. Have fun with your free mixup :)

Try a mixed-up throw into usmash, or utilt or especially dair.

Last edited:

KingsGambit27

Smash Cadet
Just going to drop these here for you Sheiks who are really looking to improve your fundamentals. A lot of good guides have been referencing these documents when it comes to improving your game. I would like to make a data dump thread for Sheik players but I don't know if I should just post things like this here rather than make a new thread. I've been doing a lot of numbers research and will have that spreadsheet available soon as well.

(Stole these from Sethlon's Roy Guide)
Drastic Improvement by Umbreon
Sirlin's Playing to Win articles
Seth Killian's old Domination 101 articles
The Footsies Handbook

Event though this is a work in progress, I figured why not share it (%s for Sheik things):
Sheik Kill %s on Smashville (No DI) + PS2 for UAir %s

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Yo guys, was wondering what you think about the Shiek Marth matchup in 3.5? Was considering picking him up as a secondary for Marth, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
50/50 basically. 55/45 if you play really campy with needles.

It's easier for marth than in melee for sure. Needles don't hurt as bad and the grab combos aren't 100% guaranteed. The PM grab mixup is really fun for Sheik and Marth can still combo her hard too.

Last edited:

varsity_scooter

Smash Rookie
So is this a video critique thread or just a discussion thread? I'd like to post some videos for critique but I don't want to be a nuisance by starting a whole new thread

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The initial hop before you vanish is the easiest part to sweet spot with, you can grab the ledge at any point or while facing either direction during the initial hop. Once you teleport you can grab the ledge facing either direction before you enter freefall, but the moment you enter freefall you can only grab the ledge if you are facing it. Sweet spotting with the initial hop should be self explanatory, as for sweet spotting with the vanish you'll just have to play enough to commit the distance the hop + vanish teleport travel to memory. It's tricky at first, but really once you get the hang of it it should start to come naturally.

2Hands

Smash Rookie
That makes sense. Is it always dependant on having the right distance? Or just having the right angle? I remember seeing some people sweet spot it after the hop but before the full distance.

varsity_scooter

Smash Rookie
Well then hey, I'm a new-ish shiek main, started about a year ago as a marth main and recently switched to Shiek about two months ago

Here's my first set as Shiek in a tournament setting. Got four stocked the first match which didn't get recorded, but did much better in the second
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiImw8O1ioQ

Here's the second one I have recorded, I didn't do so well in this matchup but here ya go x)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvraUtFsWA

I recently had another match recorded against an Ike which I did fairly well in but it hasn't been posted on Youtube yet. I'll put it up as soon as it is.

If anybody could give me any specific tips on what to practice, what to think about during the games or general info on what I could do to improve my game would be very appreciated :)

I accidentally dash attacked instead of forward tilting ALOT, as well as messing up almost all the pivot grabs lol. So there were alot of just technical errors but also many mental mishaps in attempts to chain grab or follow up that I think I can eliminate over practice. but I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts and tips

Last edited:

Datnox

Smash Rookie
Looking for some critique.
Here are some matches against a veteran smash player:

I've been playing smash for a little under a year now and recently made the switch from maining Ganon to Sheik. I feel that some of Ganon's gimmicks are holding me back since I can't help but overuse them.

As for my Sheik play I think there are some fairly obvious things I need to iron out like my spamming of dash attack and f-smash. I still flub my inputs quite regularly, but I guess that just goes away with time and practice. I really want to improve my edge guarding since its the essence of Sheik and it just feels so damn good when done well. Oh and please help me with the Mario matchup.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
hello im a sheik main from texas looking for some critique on my play specifically bad/good habit i should drop or keep but any advice would be welcomed.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Is double poofing a thing for PM Sheik?

If you're unfamiliar with that specific term, I mean when you vanish to the ledge and you get both a vanishing hitbox when you slide off that stage and when you actually vanish and teleport.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Is double poofing a thing for PM Sheik?

If you're unfamiliar with that specific term, I mean when you vanish to the ledge and you get both a vanishing hitbox when you slide off that stage and when you actually vanish and teleport.
Are you referring to this?
Looks cool. Might go and try it out later.

EDIT:
We might have already discussed a variation of this and it was called "Poof Pressure"

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
public service announcement

if you guys dont know how to do this recovery, you should learn it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_nQt1JDQd4&t=12m35s

its really good against edge hogging, which is the main counterplay to your recovery
Are you just fading back and then teleporting into the ledge so that you grab it as you enter freefall (which takes a ****ing long time, relatively speaking)? Or is there something else that I'm missing?

D

Deleted member

Are you just fading back and then teleporting into the ledge so that you grab it as you enter freefall (which takes a ****ing long time, relatively speaking)? Or is there something else that I'm missing?
when you up b to the edge sheik can grab it before she poofs but if you hold in towards the stage you'll immediately re-appear and get edge hogged, with this you pull back a bit so you get the full animation to play around the ledge roll length but you can still snap to the edge with it (or not and make it even longer).

Top Bottom