• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Matchup Discussion Thread

Conet

Smash Cadet
With 76 characters in Smash Ultimate, we have a lot of work to do. Start discussions on hard, easy or neutral matchups and give advice and tips. Let’s get this bread.

Conet

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool:
Can bouncing fish over both cannonball and crown to hit him in lag. Fair beats out pretty much all his aerials. I reccomend needle camping the hell out of him and then edge guarding with BAir by grabbing the ledge and dropping down for the kill. Pretty standard heavy matchup but seems easier because of how sheik can shutdown projectiles.
Simon / Richter:
Our Side B can bounce off of their side b and hit them while they are in lag. We can also bouncing fish over Ftilt or the side b ( I think this is axe?). Once you get in with fair just keep advantage by punishing landings. Keep him in this state and it’s a pretty easy edge guard.
Bowser:
Gotta be real careful in this matchup. Needle camp and don’t get hit because his side b can kill us extremely early. Edge guarding and keeping advantage state with needles and aerials is key. Once you get in, extend combos until he’s off stage and don’t let him get back to the middle.
Young link:
Punish bombs and boomerang with bouncing fish. Edge gaurd every time he’s off stage, it’s really strong in this game. Turtle up in shield when he has a bomb, he can’t grab lmao. Pretty standard mu, except he’s much faster.
Sonic:
Has to commit to side b now, so if he spin dashes, turtle up in shield and punish accordingly. Our aerials beat all of his. Needles are nice for shutting down approaches. Now that sonic has to jump at us more, we can catch his shorthops with uptilt and fair. Downtilt up air at higher percents. Nair or BAir to edge gaurd. Always roll when he Homing attacks because sheik can get a free dash attack or smash attack. Seems easier than in smash 4.
Incineroar:
Needle camp and edge gaurd. Be careful about grab, I reccomend just spacing fair to keep him out. Not sure if this character is good yet, but he definitely can kill easily with grab, so be careful.
Ryu:
This matchup is rough, but doable. We can combo him well, but he can Uptilt kill us at the ledge if we roll or neutral getup. Be creative with recoveries and don’t roll or neutral getup (if you do mix it up cause you’ll get forward tilted and die). Keep advantage state and edgegaurd. Needle camping is key. Play slow and abuse our good frame data. Running away isn’t a bad idea sometimes so we don’t have to play footsies. Turtle up at higher percents (can’t do much against shield in neutral).
Captain Falcon:
Our faster aerials beat all of his. His dash grab was nerfed, so we can wall him out if we predict his approaches. Needle camping works really well, so abuse it against him. Also, he's combo food after we get one fair. Match up seems very similar to smash 4 except now airdodging is bad so we can keep advantage state easier. Edge gaurding him is easier too. Pick nair, bair, fair, or bouncing fish all do the job depending on the situation.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I'm having significant trouble in the Ridley matchup, of all things. Other than OK edgeguarding, I feel like there isn't much to do against him when his aerials are that big, and he's juuuust floaty and light enough that he can DI out of most of my Sheik's stuff. I mean, I could pick like any of my other characters against him and bop the dragon to hell and back, but I want to use Sheik. I mostly struggle with approaching and comboing, though switching my right stick to tilts for Sheik seems to help.

Lonky

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
I'm having significant trouble in the Ridley matchup, of all things. Other than OK edgeguarding, I feel like there isn't much to do against him when his aerials are that big, and he's juuuust floaty and light enough that he can DI out of most of my Sheik's stuff. I mean, I could pick like any of my other characters against him and bop the dragon to hell and back, but I want to use Sheik. I mostly struggle with approaching and comboing, though switching my right stick to tilts for Sheik seems to help.
You have to take advantage of his enormous hitbox. Outcamp him, fair train him, anything. Needles are your best friends.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
He can DI out of the Fair train though. Also, camping doesn't feel like I'm doing much of anything to him when he gets like 20% per exchange, and I get maybe 12%, plus he kills much sooner. I'm really bad at camping without disjoints like Ivysaur has, so that may be part of my problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom