• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sheik in Smash Switch

Spectre7

Smash Rookie

What does everyone want for Sheik in Smash Switch? I’m really hoping she isn’t nerfed into the ground. I think she makes a better top character than most (over Cloud or Bayyonetta), but that’s just my opinion.

And her playstyle. Do you guys want a slower but harder hitting sheik (like in Melee:sheikmelee:), or a faster neutral-heavy sheik (like in Smash 4:4sheik:)?

I’m pretty sure sheik will be returning.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I preferred Melee Sheik. Melee is where I learned her, that is who I’m most familiar with.

You should spruce up your OP. Show our girl some love.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Sheik has always been one of the characters people recognize in Smash just due to her top tier status in both smash 4 and melee versions. She is also most likely a shoe-in at this point as even though she appeared mainly in OoT and later Hyrule Warriors; the developers have actually thought about giving Sheik her own game.

I would prefer if she had a more stronger moveset. The problem in smash 4 was that killing isn't consistent with some characters unlike melee where she had a good neutral and kill power. If everyone had universal kl ll options then returning her fair and bair back to melee variants wouldn't be broken.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sheik has always been one of the characters people recognize in Smash just due to her top tier status in both smash 4 and melee versions. She is also most likely a shoe-in at this point as even though she appeared mainly in OoT and later Hyrule Warriors; the developers have actually thought about giving Sheik her own game.
A solo game for Sheikh/Zelda would be super cool to have but, at the moment, she holds very little relevance within the LoZ universe. With transformations removed from Smash, it's probably at an all time low.

So how would you guys feel if Sheik had an Impa alt?
For the above reasons, I would rather see Sheik as an Impa alt. Don't change the moveset or, if you do, keep it minimal.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also rather would see it the other way around. But Impa would make quite a lot of sense if build up from Sheik's moveset. In OOT canon, Impa learned Zelda the way of the Sheikah anyway, and most likely thought her how to fight and all. Impa as a slower, but harder hitting Sheik would really make sense. But both have potential to be unique; just check Hyrule Warriors.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm really curious how a Breath of the Wild Shiek would look. My guess is a lot like the Shiekah gear Link can wear but more fitting for Zelda.

If we got Impa instead I'd most likely be fine with it. However, I don't think Impa would be based on Hyrule Warriors like most seem to think. Instead I'd rather go with how Young Impa would have looked during or perhaps before Calamity Ganon's invasion. Either that or Ocarina of Time Impa.

If we somehow got both Shiek and Impa I might be disappointed. Rather go one or the other. Then again; we got Olimar and Alph so, who knows.

crystal146

Smash Rookie
I think it truly depends on how the game plays. If its more similar to Melee, then a Melee style shiek. If the game plays more like 4, then I think there should be a Smash 4 style shiek.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That could work and I'd be fine with it, if they didn't replace Sheik with Impa in the first place. By replace, I mean different name and skin, though the moveset could remain as is or be slightly altered without nerfing Impa. I love Sheik in Sm4sh and I wish I had picked her up as a secondary much sooner. I went with ZSS for a secondary because I wanted the full Metroid experience, but she didn't feel right and I felt Sheik is what ZSS could have been. Nevertheless, I'm giving her another chance, so my tertiary team is :4samus::4zss::4sheik:.

:4sheik:>:sheikmelee:

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I like that her design uses the Sheikah Armour from botw but something about her hair looks off

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally not a fan of her armor. She's supposed to be ninja-like and giving her the armor makes her feel more like a samurai. I know it's nit-picking a bit but it just doesn't match her outfit bc she isn't fully decked out in armor. You wouldn't have shoulder paldrons and no chest piece. She still has the bandage wraps around her arms but those around her thighs are gone. This seems like a very random thing to remove. I'm indifferent about the ponytail. I mean she didn't have it in OoT so she prob shouldn't have it. I feel like the devs are trying to update her to go along with the newer Zelda games but she's not been in them. I'd be okay if they just redesigned her appearance to be completely Breath of the Wild. Unless OoT HD gets released she likely isn't going to have any other game representation. I just don't like this mix of old style and new, I feel it should just be one or the other.
As far as her play style goes I'd like to see her get some combos off of throws back. She's likely to stay a fast quick hitting character without a ton of KO power so I feel she should have some combo game. I'm not saying she needs to get 7 fairs in a row or tilt you to 40% for free I just wanna grab someone at mid percent and get some sort of combo off of a throw. I don't think too much needs to change overall. She should stay a high tiered character with a comparatively high technical skill required to use her. I like that she's both a good character and not super easy to use. It makes her fun and why I mained her from the start of Sm4sh. I do worry that because she was at the top for some time and is likely to stay relevant in the competitive meta in SmUsh that she could get even more nerfs. I think her speed alone can keep her viable in doubles but I fear she could fall off a lot in singles, especially if she still struggles to get KO's.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
I'm personally not a fan of her armor. She's supposed to be ninja-like and giving her the armor makes her feel more like a samurai. I know it's nit-picking a bit but it just doesn't match her outfit bc she isn't fully decked out in armor. You wouldn't have shoulder paldrons and no chest piece. She still has the bandage wraps around her arms but those around her thighs are gone. This seems like a very random thing to remove. I'm indifferent about the ponytail. I mean she didn't have it in OoT so she prob shouldn't have it. I feel like the devs are trying to update her to go along with the newer Zelda games but she's not been in them. I'd be okay if they just redesigned her appearance to be completely Breath of the Wild. Unless OoT HD gets released she likely isn't going to have any other game representation. I just don't like this mix of old style and new, I feel it should just be one or the other.
As far as her play style goes I'd like to see her get some combos off of throws back. She's likely to stay a fast quick hitting character without a ton of KO power so I feel she should have some combo game. I'm not saying she needs to get 7 fairs in a row or tilt you to 40% for free I just wanna grab someone at mid percent and get some sort of combo off of a throw. I don't think too much needs to change overall. She should stay a high tiered character with a comparatively high technical skill required to use her. I like that she's both a good character and not super easy to use. It makes her fun and why I mained her from the start of Sm4sh. I do worry that because she was at the top for some time and is likely to stay relevant in the competitive meta in SmUsh that she could get even more nerfs. I think her speed alone can keep her viable in doubles but I fear she could fall off a lot in singles, especially if she still struggles to get KO's.
The armour thing was literally my first thought when I saw her reveal :p
They do redesign her based on the recent Zelda games though, because they want her style to match that of everyone else. For example, in the twilight princess art book they have TP style concept art of her for brawl. Interestingly though, we've now got: OoT ganon, a link to the past Zelda, Wind Waker Toon Link, BotW Link (and also a link to the past alternate skin), and... Smash Ultimate Sheik?
I just joke about the armour now, but it being gold doesn't really go with her default colour, or the red and white (the two most common skins in smash 4). Like if the armour was silver it could look pretty sick. The green skin is actually nice now though, partly because of the gold armour.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
BOTW Picture
nothing much random there, its literally the breath of the wild sheikah armour with the via sheik-amiibo unlockable sheik mask but with an added ponytail and in the images a long scarf (which seems gone ingame which is the only weird thing if you ask me, either you add it or don't but not both).
Since its botw sheikah armour it makes sense to have armour on it, if you played botw youd see that it makes sense for them to have more metal armour, as they actually seem to be partly samurai (especially looking at the yiga clan members...). The placement also doesnt seem too off, even tho the armour under the arms could be quite uncomfortable. Her breastplate seems to be thicker leader armour so shes not just guarded where the bronze stuff is.

Also you guys are underestimating "gold" armour, i personally think it looks amazing and colorwise and goes great with her hair...
Additionally, if she wouldn't have armour, shed just be wearing a onesie which would look super lame, so its great that it adds some stuff to the outfit...

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I actually have yet to play BotW so I wasn't aware of the updated sheikah armor. Based off your pic that does make Sheik's smUsh design make a lot more sense. With that said I still don't like it. Sheik's outfits have been IMO really good in melee, brawl and sm4sh. The armor just doesn't seem to go well with the outfit. Shin and wrist guards are kinda whatever but the shoulders just bug me. Imagine if they took Zero Suit Samus and gave her some parts of her Varia suit. I know that's kind of an extreme comparison but that's what it feels like to me.
While the Sheikah armor may have been updated I still think of Sheik as the ninja from OoT. So it just feels a little weird to update her appearance based on games she's not exactly in. Imagine if toon link's appearance were redesigned and he no longer looked like wind waker Link, it would feel weird. I think that's the feeling I get from the Sheik redesign. Maybe it's just shoulder armor that wraps around to the rib cage but doesn't cover any of the chest is just weird. I don't think it's the end of the world though. It won't affect whether or not I play her. I mean they advertised Link as having his new outfit and his old outfits so maybe at release Sheik will get the same treatment. I'd have no problem with half her outfits being the new design and half being old school. But from the demo all outfits had the updated design.
Plus Ike and Bayo have two outfit variations and it's extremely likely other characters like Wario would as well. Why can't Sheik get two outfit types?

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Honestly, getting super nitpicky here, her smash 4 design... welp is flawed. The leather armour makes not much sense. The white thing around her body with the sheikah eye on it shouldnt be tucked onto her body but be seperate, and CHAINMAIL on the elbow, srsly? Wraps around the finger like she has are really uncomfy and hinder your movement alot. Theres just so much wrong with it. And the pose ('knife hands') is just bad lol. maybe thats the main reason it gets me angry.
I personally like the new style alot, but i totally understand your point of wanting her to have the OoT style. Honestly it would probs be cool to see ToonLink in the sytle of newer games, but i would still like to see an option for his original style.
So, dont bring back smash 4 costume, but give us a OoT sheik skin option, but keep the new one. That'd be great. Sheik from the OoT HD remake looks actually pretty cool, so that would be fitting I guess.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Question, has anyone noticed if she has new voice clips? With new Final Smash it seems likely but I'd like confirmation. I know the other 3 Zelda characters in the demo do.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
So, dont bring back smash 4 costume, but give us a OoT sheik skin option, but keep the new one. That'd be great.
You made some good points. I've come around a little bit on my opinion of her new costume. I still personally don't care for it but I do think with BotW it makes sense to have this costume. I do think two costume styles would be the way to go. That OoT/Melee style is iconic so I'd hate to see it completely removed. I'd personally be ok with sm4sh and smUsh style, but I can't fault you in thinking the sm4sh style is flawed.
An outfit with no ponytail and no armor that is straight out of OoT sounds perfect IMO.

Slight change of topic but am I the only one that kinda hopes Sheik is high tier and not top tier in smUsh? Hear me out. I invested time into Sheik in sm4sh to see her get nerfed several times after the game had been out for a fair amount of time. It wasn't like an oh she's broken and a month later nerf scenario. With all the nerfs the top tiers got in sm4sh and the numerous patches the game had I would feel legitimately afraid to play any perceived top tier at launch for fear of them being nerfed too much. I think the characters that sit at the top of high tier might be in the best spot as changes to them are likely to be very minor whether a buff or nerf. I feel this is where Sheik currently sits in sm4sh. There's an argument for her to be top or high tier but Sheik gets easily overshadowed by Bayo & Cloud, both of which seem very primed to have significant nerfs for sma5h.
I personally would love to Sheik with more combo game out of her throws as she once was but I am very okay with the needle range nerf and her fair not being OP. She was and still seems to be a fairly technical character so I feel playing her at a high level should be rewarding.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Here's something I've been wondering - who, exactly, is this Sheik? She's not OoT!Sheik, and she's not the hypothetical TP!Sheik created for Brawl (who is explicitly an alter ego of TP!Zelda). Is this an alter-ego of BotW!Zelda? A new incarnation of Sheik completely unrelated to Zelda?

Also, I find it funny that they didn't simply use her design from Hyrule Warriors to represent another game (see also: Young Link isn't rocking the Razor Sword and Hero's Shield), but I think I like this design better.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Slight change of topic but am I the only one that kinda hopes Sheik is high tier and not top tier in smUsh?
I still remember patch 1.0.4 which basically meant throwing everything we knew about sheik away. Most characters got changed over time, but having your character in mid to hightier prevents you from a lot of rage towards that character, its just i bit calmer imo, which is usually a good thing. If it also means we're not getting alot of changes over time I'd be super happy.
After all, even tho sheik in brawl was low midtier iirc she was a lot of fun to play, so tiers dont really matter if you dont wanna win high end tournaments...

Here's something I've been wondering - who, exactly, is this Sheik? She's not OoT!Sheik, and she's not the hypothetical TP!Sheik created for Brawl (who is explicitly an alter ego of TP!Zelda). Is this an alter-ego of BotW!Zelda? A new incarnation of Sheik completely unrelated to Zelda?

Also, I find it funny that they didn't simply use her design from Hyrule Warriors to represent another game (see also: Young Link isn't rocking the Razor Sword and Hero's Shield), but I think I like this design better.
Probably alter ego to some princess who lived 100 years ago... I mean botw hints at ancient sheikah technology and stuff, so their sheikah armour might be designed after what the ancient sheikah wore, probably where this sheik comes from. So in-zelda-lore from some 10'000 years ago... But in a world where reincarnation is real, history repeats itself and timetravel is a thing, what is not to be considered?

As for HW stuff, its a spinoff and probably treated as such. I personally like the character designs a lot, but since its a mere spinoff I see why they didnt choose to represent it.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
After all, even tho sheik in brawl was low midtier iirc she was a lot of fun to play, so tiers dont really matter if you dont wanna win high end tournaments...
I try to ignore tier lists completely and just play who I enjoy. But who I enjoy is usually not super slow fairly technical characters so the characters I gravitate towards playing are often high/top tiers. I don't mind playing high tiers who aren't like top 5 in the game but I'd prob see flaws in mid or lower tiers that would make me dislike the character.
My big issue with sm4sh was that so many characters were really imbalanced at some point so major changes were made to the character. If Sheik was how she is now at the start of sm4sh there's a good chance I would have played more Mario or ZSS at the start of the game. I'm okay with nerfing things in the spirit of fairness but it was frustrating to put time into learning things about a character and having them completely removed. It happened with more than just Sheik. I just hope they do a better job balancing at launch so buffs/nerfs are more fine tuning or bug fixes and not character altering massive changes.
I honestly don't care which characters end up as the top tiers but I can def agree on not getting a lot of changes over time being a good thing.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
The armour thing was literally my first thought when I saw her reveal :p
They do redesign her based on the recent Zelda games though, because they want her style to match that of everyone else. For example, in the twilight princess art book they have TP style concept art of her for brawl. Interestingly though, we've now got: OoT ganon, a link to the past Zelda, Wind Waker Toon Link, BotW Link (and also a link to the past alternate skin), and... Smash Ultimate Sheik?
I just joke about the armour now, but it being gold doesn't really go with her default colour, or the red and white (the two most common skins in smash 4). Like if the armour was silver it could look pretty sick. The green skin is actually nice now though, partly because of the gold armour.
Her Black Alt is literally the best and it goes very well with the gold. Did you know the black alt has her hair changing color

Iridium

Smash Hero

I will assume nobody here has seen this yet. VoiD expresses his thoughts on what Sheik will be like in SSBU, and it should be relevant enough to be mentioned here.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Well hello everyone. I just got a switch recently so I can finally play as my girl.
How has everyone been?

TKD

Smash Lord
Well hello everyone. I just got a switch recently so I can finally play as my girl.
How has everyone been?
Late reply but I'm doing well! Super tired but it's from working a new job so I'm feeling productive.
Decided to main Sheik for Ultimate; dunno if I'll put in the work/console-buying to get actually good though.

Sheik is awesome!

The Inklings seem to be remarkably similar to her; they also have an insane recovery, and carefully spacing and poking with aerials seems to be their specialty too. They could be a good choice for anyone who wants to play both of the Sheik-type characters. Neither Sheik nor the Inklings seem to be top tier, though, so let's try not to envy the Fox/Peach/Warios (this'll look so dumb if completely different chars turn out to be better in a month or two). At least there's like no chance of Sheik getting nerfed (the Inklings don't have the same luck due to the overhype bandwagon upon the game's release).

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Can someone tell how true drag down u-air loops are cause I know tipper d-tilt->u-air is true (as well as d-throw-drag down u-air at very low percents), but I was wondering how many times it can be looped or when you can d-tilt/f-tilt-> drag u-air -> smash attack?

nshoes

Smash Cadet
Can someone tell how true drag down u-air loops are cause I know tipper d-tilt->u-air is true (as well as d-throw-drag down u-air at very low percents), but I was wondering how many times it can be looped or when you can d-tilt/f-tilt-> drag u-air -> smash attack?
I start looking for openings into falling uair loops from ftilt when the opponent is around 60-80%. It's dependent on fall speed, but it usually doesn't work past 90-100%. A good confirm at the end of the loops is utilt -> bf.

where the discord at though?
Wait, is there one?????

Top Bottom