• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHDL with fox?

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
so, I really want to know how to short hop double laser with fox...
I've tried a lot, but never really managed. so, could anyone explain to me how to do this is ssb64, as well (if possible) as in ssbm?

thanks a lot!

rpotts

Smash Lord
Well, there are a number of ways you can do it but I personally use this ->

SH with C-down using the pad/first joint of my thumb
Hit B as soon as I can after jumping with the tip of my thumb
Time the second hit of B to the PEW PEW sound with the tip of my thumb

The timing of the second one is pretty lenient IF you can get the first laser out very quickly.

You can also elect to mash B instead of timing it to get the hang of it, but I'd recommend timing to the PEW PEW sound rather than mashing.

Also, most people use Left-C for the SH and sort of slide the tip of their thumb to B, similar to doing a SH aerial with Down-C -> A.

EDIT: It's also possible in SSBM it's just harder, but the exact same process applies, just Y/X to SH then time B twice. The window to do it is only a few frames, it's fairly close to frame perfect.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi, welcome to the 64 section :)

If you have a simple single question like this concerning a character, please ask in the character thread (in this case: Fox thread). If you have a more general question, there is the Ask a question thread.

As rpotts said, I think most people (including myself) slide with the thumb from left c to b, then press b a second time. Learning this technique is useful because the timing of sliding from c to b is the same whether you shine or laser. A few random tips:
-Don't do it while running (because of the lower short hop), because the whole thing becomes possible only if frame perfect.
-Don't mash b for the second laser, learn the timing instead. This is very important, because you want the second laser to be as low as possible.
-If you full jump, be quicker on the c press (you need to press it at max 3 frames to short hop).
-If no laser comes out, either you were too fast on the b press, or you pressed b too lightly (and didn't actually press it).

Concerning Melee, you'd better ask directly in the Melee section, but what I do is the same as in 64: slide from y to b.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Well, there are a number of ways you can do it but I personally use this ->

SH with C-down using the pad/first joint of my thumb
Hit B as soon as I can after jumping with the tip of my thumb
Time the second hit of B to the PEW PEW sound with the tip of my thumb

The timing of the second one is pretty lenient IF you can get the first laser out very quickly.

You can also elect to mash B instead of timing it to get the hang of it, but I'd recommend timing to the PEW PEW sound rather than mashing.

Also, most people use Left-C for the SH and sort of slide the tip of their thumb to B, similar to doing a SH aerial with Down-C -> A.

EDIT: It's also possible in SSBM it's just harder, but the exact same process applies, just Y/X to SH then time B twice. The window to do it is only a few frames, it's fairly close to frame perfect.
thanks man, that will help me out so much! finally, i can now shdl...

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Hi, welcome to the 64 section :)

If you have a simple single question like this concerning a character, please ask in the character thread (in this case: Fox thread). If you have a more general question, there is the Ask a question thread.

As rpotts said, I think most people (including myself) slide with the thumb from left c to b, then press b a second time. Learning this technique is useful because the timing of sliding from c to b is the same whether you shine or laser. A few random tips:
-Don't do it while running (because of the lower short hop), because the whole thing becomes possible only if frame perfect.
-Don't mash b for the second laser, learn the timing instead. This is very important, because you want the second laser to be as low as possible.
-If you full jump, be quicker on the c press (you need to press it at max 3 frames to short hop).
-If no laser comes out, either you were too fast on the b press, or you pressed b too lightly (and didn't actually press it).

Concerning Melee, you'd better ask directly in the Melee section, but what I do is the same as in 64: slide from y to b.
wow thanks so much! loved your DI vid btw! also, i'll watch where i place my posts next time... sorry!

Last edited:
Top Bottom