• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shbawd

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
Nah, how seamlessly one can go from one move to another. This does require a great deal of speed but also the ability to combo on the fly. I don't think it's so much the claw set-up that I'm criticizing, but the claw mentality. When I say this I mean the idea that technical skill translates into the improvised comboing and finishers that one may see among the various different national level players. To clarify, I don't think pure technical skill does translate into that sort of comboing, it's rather experience from playing several tournaments and various different players. In this sense, I'm trying to say that the claw is no better than the standard controller style and could even be worse for the learning curve.

Eg. Take a look at the Seemiller grip in table tennis, only one person has truly gone anywhere with it and that's its creator. Similarly, I don't think switching to claw would be much of an advantage, however if you really have been playing for 6 years with that hand grip then I'm sure it's become comfortably effective.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
So the fluidity comes from the players ability to string together combos...

And Yeah, switching grips is very harmful to your play, but if all else fails and you cant move fast enough, you might as well consider it...

And very nice table tennis analogy, i've recently picked up the game, and i hold it with that seemiller grip, its just like claw gripping a controller...

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
It'd definately be advantageous if you can shbawd with the c stick but the control stick works just fine for me. I don't want to have to change my entire grip just so I can shbawd

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
If you have the finger speed, by all means, keep your grip... But if you find it impossible, it might be beneficial to switch...

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
Cool !! You play seemiller, huh. That's pretty rare, and frankly I really haven't played anyone who uses that style seriously, or even casually for that matter. If you're ever in the columbus area, check out the osu table tennis club. Perhaps I'll play you there sometime, maybe not, but h3ll, there's a chance.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I respectfully disagree. Although I can happily say I CAN SHBAWD NOW!!!!!! :) . Well, I haven't completely learned it by heart but I'm getting most of em now compared to the occassional one. Also, I can even do it with the C stick sometimes :dizzy: . This is interesting as I have said to myself many times 'How the hell can you possible SHBAWD with the C stick? It's impossible you just can't get to the C stick in time'.

I suppose now my next step is using it during proper matches and trying to use it in the right place at the right time. I've got a tournament a June so I might try it there.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
it is easy....with practice: it isn't as speed intensive as SHDL, or JC-shines, or even DJC aerials (fox, fox, and mewtwo). If you rest the tip of your thumb on jump and the middle if it on 'a,' and simply twitch your thumb I don't see how you can not get it (once you understand what I mean by twitch)

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
The hard part isn't wavelanding after the shba but repeating it. The best I can do right now is once or twice then jab in that direction, which could work, maybe.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
I respectfully disagree. Although I can happily say I CAN SHBAWD NOW!!!!!! :) . Well, I haven't completely learned it by heart but I'm getting most of em now compared to the occassional one. Also, I can even do it with the C stick sometimes :dizzy: . This is interesting as I have said to myself many times 'How the hell can you possible SHBAWD with the C stick? It's impossible you just can't get to the C stick in time'.

I suppose now my next step is using it during proper matches and trying to use it in the right place at the right time. I've got a tournament a June so I might try it there.
It is really quite useful when worked into your game. I throw them in all the time.

MrMo

Smash Rookie
C-stick. Right after you jump during your rising animation is when you press the bair so that by the time you're falling down you can waveland. It takes some practice for the timing but once you get it down you'll be set.
this helped tremendously, thank you.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
SHBAWD is Short Hop Back Air Wave Dash, right? It's been a while since I actually referred to stuff by its name.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
SHBAWD is Short Hop Back Air Wave Dash, right? It's been a while since I actually referred to stuff by its name.
It's waveland not wavedash

But
I use Y to jump and A to b.air, it's super smooth and easy once you get it down

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I use Y to jump and A to b.air, it's super smooth and easy once you get it down
I second this. I tried for so long to do X > C-stick and I got it maybe 30% of the time. Switched to sliding from Y to A quickly and now I get them much more consistently. + it's a lot easier on your hand. I'm no master at it but it's definitely not hard to do.

Top Bottom