• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHBAWD help

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
I'm really bad at this and I wanna get good. What buttons do you recommend for this tech? I currently jump with Y and use the C-stick for aerials. Should I use X with A, Y with A, Y with C-stick, X with C-stick?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Using Y then A is the fastest and most relaxed way to do it IMO.

Mario's is actually quite lenient, allowing more frames than other similar "techs" to execute. So you can use C-stick of course, even without having to resort to the ease of claw style.

Try doing YL's SH Bair DJ Bair and you will want to throw your controller across the universe from frustration and think it's not possible for a long time. But some good can come from that since after trying YLs for a while Mario's SHBAWL will be cake walk.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
Using Y then A is the fastest and most relaxed way to do it IMO.

Mario's is actually quite lenient, allowing more frames than other similar "techs" to execute. So you can use C-stick of course, even without having to resort to the ease of claw style.

Try doing YL's SH Bair DJ Bair and you will want to throw your controller across the universe from frustration and think it's not possible for a long time. But some good can come from that since after trying YLs for a while Mario's SHBAWL will be cake walk.
Thanks I'll try that too. I usually just practice movement with Fox because his wave dash timing is just faster and his ledge dash is more difficult so in comparison Mario feels easier.

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
I have it down almost pretty consistently. My question now is where should I be using it? When I watch SCRP(mango) he barely uses it and I feel like it has a lot of potential.

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
I use it OOS sometimes and waveland back towards where they're getting hit. It tends to make them tech away or land cancel hitstun and roll away sometimes, which I can usually catch if I get the perject waveland followed by a near-perfect wavedash. For SHBAWD specifically, I use the main stick to short hop and the c-stick for the bair. I never miss it this way.

Shir

Smash Rookie
I personally use Y and A.

As for uses for the SHABAWD, consider these scenarios:

1. Opponent is in shield, so you poke with the tip of your bair, and waveland away, so as to bait out an out of shield option. This is more useful in neutral when you're trying to see what habits your opponent has. There are no guaranteed follow ups as far as I see from this

2. Wall of pain of sorts. SHABAWD then SHABAWD again. At lower percents this is not viable as there is not enough hit stun.

3. SHABAWD to F-tilt. This is performed by doing the bair, wavelanding towards your opponent, and performing a turnaround F-tilt. You have to hit the bair to combo into the F-tilt. I haven't personally tried F smash as it comes out frame 12 while F-tilt comes out frame 5 so it's more likely to hit.

4. approaching with SHABAWD. Imagine using the reverse hitbox of bair (so the opponent has to be in front of you for this to work) and then wavelanding to perhaps a grab (has to be the right percent for this to work) or more likely an uptilt. This approach can be kind of telegraphed, so I would use it as a mixup (maybe dash dance into this).

Alternatively, and I just found this out the other day. If you perform your rising bair perfectly, you can input a nair after, and it will come out just before hitting the ground. I performed this against a Falcon player and it works if you hit the bair. Don't forget to L cancel the nair or you'll probably be punished at lower percents.

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
I personally use Y and A.

As for uses for the SHABAWD, consider these scenarios:

1. Opponent is in shield, so you poke with the tip of your bair, and waveland away, so as to bait out an out of shield option. This is more useful in neutral when you're trying to see what habits your opponent has. There are no guaranteed follow ups as far as I see from this

2. Wall of pain of sorts. SHABAWD then SHABAWD again. At lower percents this is not viable as there is not enough hit stun.

3. SHABAWD to F-tilt. This is performed by doing the bair, wavelanding towards your opponent, and performing a turnaround F-tilt. You have to hit the bair to combo into the F-tilt. I haven't personally tried F smash as it comes out frame 12 while F-tilt comes out frame 5 so it's more likely to hit.

4. approaching with SHABAWD. Imagine using the reverse hitbox of bair (so the opponent has to be in front of you for this to work) and then wavelanding to perhaps a grab (has to be the right percent for this to work) or more likely an uptilt. This approach can be kind of telegraphed, so I would use it as a mixup (maybe dash dance into this).

Alternatively, and I just found this out the other day. If you perform your rising bair perfectly, you can input a nair after, and it will come out just before hitting the ground. I performed this against a Falcon player and it works if you hit the bair. Don't forget to L cancel the nair or you'll probably be punished at lower percents.
Thanks, I'm going to use this for the next tournament I go to!

Is it worth practicing the short hop double aerial? I'm still getting used to the SHBAWD out of shield so I don't know if this will be as important as Marth and Luigi's double fair at my current level.

j3ly

Smash Champion
I use bair waveland extremely liberally, you get your best use VS fox and falco who fall down from bair at 55% ish, and wont hit the tech. Proceed to fireball reset -> grab, or bair waveland -> turnaround utilt their missed tech.

Works great on FoD, as our bair will make them land on the lower platforms, and we can bair waveland into a utilt. Grab to follow up, or fsmash.

Works really well on sheik before knockdown percent - you bair and waveland away, she thinks she can hit you in time but can't. CC her dash attack follow up/whiff for a free grab..

As for landing it, dash in, pivot shield so you're facing backwards is one way. It's a truly fundamental technique for mario and you need to have it down from all momentums, with all states of aerial drift, and be able to WD either direction, with the perfect waveland.

Bair is totally reaction punishable by half the cast though... so in this new meta we can't use it VS good foxes, falcons, or marths. Works amazing on shiek though, as a wall, and a bait, a combo starter before and after knockdown %s.

Top Bottom