• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Share your recovery tips for Little Mac here!

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of people start to panic when they get off stage because they've already determined the outcome, they'll fall. They'll die. However if one keeps a mental note of what Mac actually can do in the air may help.

-Wait until you're away from the blast zone
-Mac can wall jump, if you approach too low it's not over

I seem to only get one jump to recover with, as if the one knocking me off stage counts as my first--If you don't kniw what to contribute an answer to this predicament would be greatly appreciated

Blazeiken

Smash Rookie
I've watched people play little mac online so much, and in tournaments (mainly the local ones, if I see a random little mac (which is rarely ever btw, so it usually draws me in), ill watch how he plays), and in all honesty, there's so many different things these guys do wrong in recoveries.

1. Don't at all do the exact same recovery all the time, (basically, recover low or high when the situation calls for it) this just makes you obvious and the opponent can easily read what you'll do next since your recovery is somewhat predictable by default.

2. Please, don't just side b right off the bat, it doesn't help, and if you saved your jump, you can easily mix it up and bait your opponent into making a mistake off stage.

3. My biggest pet peeve is when someone doesn't actually use one of (in my opinion) little mac's blessings in this game. Directional Airdodging is so good for him, it gives him another recovery option, and it can also very easily bait your opponent. Not many people play vs him, if you use this to your advantage, you can fake out what they think is a read, with directional airdodging and punish them a lot harder.

I've played him since 4, and in all honesty, he's been so much fun. Recovery is something I've gotten so good at, that even if they throw me off, it doesn't phase me. I just really wish one day they'll actually allow him to Side-B even after getting hit off stage, that's my only suggestion to fixing Little Mac, and honestly it could help a lot more than people may think. Even if you outplay your opponent, one simple read (which isn't hard) can cost your stock, so enabling us this would literally help recovery for everyone who plays him, not just Little Mac mains.

(Btw, I know this is all basic, but for anyone who is new to him, it may help? I just thought it'd be nice to share this stuff.)

Last edited:

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
I've watched people play little mac online so much, and in tournaments (mainly the local ones, if I see a random little mac (which is rarely ever btw, so it usually draws me in), ill watch how he plays), and in all honesty, there's so many different things these guys do wrong in recoveries.

1. Don't at all do the exact same recovery all the time, (basically, recover low or high when the situation calls for it) this just makes you obvious and the opponent can easily read what you'll do next since your recovery is somewhat predictable by default.

2. Please, don't just side b right off the bat, it doesn't help, and if you saved your jump, you can easily mix it up and bait your opponent into making a mistake off stage.

3. My biggest pet peeve is when someone doesn't actually use one of (in my opinion) little mac's blessings in this game. Directional Airdodging is so good for him, it gives him another recovery option, and it can also very easily bait your opponent. Not many people play vs him, if you use this to your advantage, you can fake out what they think is a read, with directional airdodging and punish them a lot harder.

I've played him since 4, and in all honesty, he's been so much fun. Recovery is something I've gotten so good at, that even if they throw me off, it doesn't phase me. I just really wish one day they'll actually allow him to Side-B even after getting hit off stage, that's my only suggestion to fixing Little Mac, and honestly it could help a lot more than people may think. Even if you outplay your opponent, one simple read (which isn't hard) can cost your stock, so enabling us this would literally help recovery for everyone who plays him, not just Little Mac mains.

(Btw, I know this is all basic, but for anyone who is new to him, it may help? I just thought it'd be nice to share this stuff.)
Thank you, very informative! Basic or not, I want to make a thread for new mains or anyone who needs a refresh. Coming from 4 I keep forgetting that new air dodge myself

Blazeiken

Smash Rookie
Thank you, very informative! Basic or not, I want to make a thread for new mains or anyone who needs a refresh. Coming from 4 I keep forgetting that new air dodge myself
Haha no worries, I had to get used to DAing as well since I played a ton of 4, but once you get used to it, man it's a whole nother world for Little Mac and his recovery game. I know it's not the "best" but it really isn't actually awful if you know what you're doing. Just not many Mac players understand to work around his recovery game, and end up making it look "god awful", when it's actually fairly okay.

Another thing, for fun, if you are 1-2 stocks ahead, man run off the stage and FAir the opponent, I swear, it's the most tilt inducing thing in the entire world to get gimped by a Little Mac's aerial, but jesus it's hilarious to watch. I've saved a clip I did today doing it, it's hysterical. It only works against other not "very good" recoveries, or if they have no jump.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Another thing, for fun, if you are 1-2 stocks ahead, man run off the stage and FAir the opponent, I swear, it's the most tilt inducing thing in the entire world to get gimped by a Little Mac's aerial, but jesus it's hilarious to watch. I've saved a clip I did today doing it, it's hysterical. It only works against other not "very good" recoveries, or if they have no jump.
Footstool them, it may not work, but it's funny. Easier if they have that comically large head like Yoshi, Kirby, etc.

M0nk3ymun

Smash Rookie
I have been maining Little Mac for so long now. Even though his aerials can be challenging, you simply have to learn your opponent. If you think of it they can either be offensive, defensive, or simply just aggressive. You have to know how to play all different ways for Little Mac. For me it’s offensive, in the WII game for Little Mac, you dodged A LOT. Do the same thing with people and wait for the perfect opportunity.

Here’s my suggestion for recovering off-stage. You can either try to counter them when they attack, you can jump once, side B, then up B to grab the ledge, or if your brave enough simply side B. But, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GRAB THE LEDGE. When youa re hanging from the ledge, you shouldn’t roll in my opinion. Mostly because they can anticipate where you end up. Your best bet would be to just jump, pull the character down and punch their friggin lights out.

M0nk3ymun

Smash Rookie
Footstool them, it may not work, but it's funny. Easier if they have that comically large head like Yoshi, Kirby, etc.
I totally agree! I love it when people like Ike try to recover, and you just counter them and knock them into next weekend. Now do you use the switch, GameCube, or pro controller??

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree! I love it when people like Ike try to recover, and you just counter them and knock them into next weekend. Now do you use the switch, GameCube, or pro controller??
Sometimes I'm lucky enough for my friend to stop by to play with a spare pro. But I typically use switch controllers. I would do GameCube, but I honestly think it's only useful to people who like, grew up with that. It'd be too new for me

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Your recovery options are
A). Side-B
B). Up-B
C). directional Airdoge
D). Counter
E). KO punch
Mix those up with jumps to safely make it to ledge/land
KO punch and Counter are obviously situational, as KO punch has a LOT of endlag, and you kind of need to have it to use it, and Counter actually is worse for recovering if nobody actually hits you. Also KO PUNCH DOESN'T SNAP TO LEDGE so be careful. Tapping B during side-B makes you gain a pinch more height but go a little bit less in distance, use wisely. Finally, Up-B goes farther if you use it RIGHT after a jump, instead of using Up-B after reaching max jump height. Gives you a pinch more height if done properly so use this wisely.

Top Bottom