• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Share Your Jab-cancel Shenanigans

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think jab-canceling is just the coolest thing (that's crouching to do something other than the next hit in your 1-2-3 jab combo, in case you don't use the same terminology). I've used it to continue combos against floaties (nair-jab-jab-nair or d-smash), to pull jab-jab-grab mixups against blocking opponents, and to ground somebody who thinks they can jump out of my pressure.

So what's the coolest thing you've done with a jab cancel? Video links are appreciated, but I'll take anecdotes too if you have them.

My favorite I've seen recently is from GERM vs. Connor at DYFWI. https://gfycat.com/MenacingUnacceptableIchidna

And here's one of me from a couple of months ago when I jab-grabbed somebody who was trying to escape my down smash follow-up. https://gfycat.com/ShinyForsakenClam

SAUS

Smash Ace
Someone mentioned somewhere that when their opponent shields their bomb (it bounces up and falls down on them against), they like to jab cancel on their shield. Just using the same input eventually catches the bomb and throws it. I have done it maybe once or twice, but I remember it being pretty handy.

I use it for shield pressure, jab->crouch->jab->crouch->jab->jab->crouch->dsmash. Shield pokes people every time and they can't grab thanks to the range and speed of the jab.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Someone mentioned somewhere that when their opponent shields their bomb (it bounces up and falls down on them against), they like to jab cancel on their shield. Just using the same input eventually catches the bomb and throws it. I have done it maybe once or twice, but I remember it being pretty handy.
I came a few percent away from breaking a shield by doing bomb->jab->bomb bounce->up B. Hahah and of course I got punished hard because I up-B'd somebody's shield without breaking it, but I felt really cool about it! I also have accidentally grabbed a bomb out of the air when double jabbing a shield. I'll have to think about using it a little more deliberately sometime.

Also Lootic that's my main use for jabbing against Falcon. It doesn't pop fast fallers up like floaties, so I can't combo with it, but Falcon's out of shield game can't handle spaced jab pressure.

Top Bottom