• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If it has to do with anything about one more chance, IDK at this point. Really, I have already set my cards down as it may risk the hype to end badly.
Screenshot_20210622-184707_YouTube.jpg

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 321502

I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but I haven't really seen many people talking about it anywhere, so bear with me real quick:

Like a lot of us have realized, this is the closest we've ever been to seeing an official 3D model of Shantae. Yeah, her face is customizable, but a lot of TLC went into the body and the hair. Looking back at all of her designs throughout the years, it's clear that this particular costume is based on her 1/2 Genie Hero look.

But a detail that I find fascinating is the very tip of her ponytail. The Smash team added a little fringe split to it, more closely resembling the tip of a bullwhip.

There has never been any official art from Wayforward that depicted her ponytail like that. Sakurai and his designers added that little touch on their own.

Sakurai/Sora Ltd. have a knack for giving characters little redesigns to update them for the modern era (most notably characters like Marth, Pit, Ridley, etc) or to bring them back to their fan favorite roots (Mega Man, Simon, B&K). They don't normally do that sort of thing for Mii costumes, but when they do, people notice.

In Smash 4, the K. Rool costume was given a shiny golden finish on his belly, a detail that Nintendo completely removed once they stopped working with Rareware (they replaced the gold with a fleshy tone). This got a lot of people wondering why Sakurai decided to put this tiny amount of extra thought into a Mii costume. And in the next game, K. Rool was playable.

I'm not saying that this one detail in a Mii costume 100% confirms that Shantae is a shoe-in for the next game. But I do love how it means that Sakurai and his design team...

• Looked at the amount of fan requests and ballot votes for Shantae
  • Did their required research on Shantae and her series
  • Decided to create a Mii costume out of her
  • Took into account the fact that her main method of attacking is via using her hair as a whip
  • And thought, "You know what would be cute? If we made the tip of her hair look more like a whip, right?"

Maybe I'm losing my mind or overreacting, but the idea that someone at Sora Ltd. thought this much about how they should present Shantae in Smash to her fans, and then presented the design suggestion to Sakurai, who then approved it...I mean, most of the other Mii costumes are just "character's normal 3D model condensed to fit Mii proportions, no changes made". This one feels designed.

I'm re-reading this word vomit I just wrote and feeling cringey at how passionate I am about this dumb little detail haha. But yeah, just something cool to think about, I guess. And I wonder what Matt and Erin Bozon's thoughts are on it.
I agree on all that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this community. I‘m just really glad I become a Shantae fan since 2017 because if I never knew Shantae, I’ll never be a Shantae supporter all over Twitter but I don’t own Twitter anymore because Twitter is a biggest wreck of it‘s community. Here’s a long story short; My friend from high school introduced me to Shantae during idk either recess or lunch on the Switch. I was like, “Oh wow. What’s it about?” He explained to me about it and he let me play around with it a little bit. I thought I’m having fun with it. Me as a teenager, I jokingly said something about Shantae’s “you-know-what“ are dropping. Idk I was being silly. Then later on, I tried Shantae: Half-Genie Hero as my first owned Shantae game on my own Switch and I had a really good time throughout the game. The character, musics, the gameplay, it’s so amazing and that’s where I consider being a Shantae fan then a year later, Smash Ultimate announced and I originally rooted for Waluigi but since he’s an assist trophy, there’s no point anymore so I moved on to Shantae. When I first saw her spirit, I was actually worried and kind of panicked if that’s all for her because she can’t be just an image right? Thank god about Min Min. Then years go by and then she’s finally in Smash! Not a full fighter but we can treat her as a full fighter like Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy and Bomberman. I’m extremely happy about her made it into Smash as a true Smash fans. Those toxic fans and Twitch/YouTube reactors don’t know what they’re saying. I honestly don’t care and most importantly ignore them. I do not care at all. All that matters she’s finally fully represented especially that bonus music track I’m so familiar with from Half-Genie Hero! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
View attachment 321502

I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but I haven't really seen many people talking about it anywhere, so bear with me real quick:

Like a lot of us have realized, this is the closest we've ever been to seeing an official 3D model of Shantae. Yeah, her face is customizable, but a lot of TLC went into the body and the hair. Looking back at all of her designs throughout the years, it's clear that this particular costume is based on her 1/2 Genie Hero look.

But a detail that I find fascinating is the very tip of her ponytail. The Smash team added a little fringe split to it, more closely resembling the tip of a bullwhip.

There has never been any official art from Wayforward that depicted her ponytail like that. Sakurai and his designers added that little touch on their own.

Sakurai/Sora Ltd. have a knack for giving characters little redesigns to update them for the modern era (most notably characters like Marth, Pit, Ridley, etc) or to bring them back to their fan favorite roots (Mega Man, Simon, B&K). They don't normally do that sort of thing for Mii costumes, but when they do, people notice.

In Smash 4, the K. Rool costume was given a shiny golden finish on his belly, a detail that Nintendo completely removed once they stopped working with Rareware (they replaced the gold with a fleshy tone). This got a lot of people wondering why Sakurai decided to put this tiny amount of extra thought into a Mii costume. And in the next game, K. Rool was playable.

I'm not saying that this one detail in a Mii costume 100% confirms that Shantae is a shoe-in for the next game. But I do love how it means that Sakurai and his design team...

• Looked at the amount of fan requests and ballot votes for Shantae
  • Did their required research on Shantae and her series
  • Decided to create a Mii costume out of her
  • Took into account the fact that her main method of attacking is via using her hair as a whip
  • And thought, "You know what would be cute? If we made the tip of her hair look more like a whip, right?"

Maybe I'm losing my mind or overreacting, but the idea that someone at Sora Ltd. thought this much about how they should present Shantae in Smash to her fans, and then presented the design suggestion to Sakurai, who then approved it...I mean, most of the other Mii costumes are just "character's normal 3D model condensed to fit Mii proportions, no changes made". This one feels designed.

I'm re-reading this word vomit I just wrote and feeling cringey at how passionate I am about this dumb little detail haha. But yeah, just something cool to think about, I guess. And I wonder what Matt and Erin Bozon's thoughts are on it.
Lets ask em if they had any input on that little detail.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Toxtricity, Dragapult, and Centiskorch are the only 3 I’d really want to see. The first two are self explanatory big popular juggernauts, the latter... I just wanna see how they handle it.
I wouldn't be against Toxtricity. I Just think Dragapult would be more interesting with it's ghost typing and the little Dreepy flying about. Honestly if I were giving the reigns I could make a nothing but pokemon edition of Smash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dear lord, I completely forgot about the Charagumin figure...well, now I feel super dumb for writing that whole thesis paper haha.

Oh wow wait that would also explain why her pants aren't made of their trademark translucent material, too!

But... all of her sprites have opaque pants even when art is translucent (Half-Genie Hero's art was opaque).

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have the Mii Brawler to appear as Shantae. Moves assigned are:
Axe Soaring Kick
Onslaught
Burning Kick
Counter Throw

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
This is all off-topic but I just want to talk about my second most wanted character after Shantae for Smash is Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club. Please hear me out:

There’re some of parts of me that I’m interested in video games with other style like fantasy, horror, puzzle-solving, 3D platform and role-playing but I’m mostly into horror. My first experience of Doki Doki Literature Club was back in 2020 (I can’t remember when) and I actually become so interested to be a horror game with plots in Anime style even know I’m personally not into Anime. My other interest about is when it looks like actually realistic. So anyway, Doki Doki Literature Club has been ported to Nintendo Switch days ago and I played it on my own and experienced side stories which I think it’s a story where it all started. Not sure if that’s before DDLC but it’s its unrelated to the main story so idk if it meant like it’s not part of it or it’s not connected at all. The popularity, the community, the franchise is full of biggest strength of gaining. I still hope for Shantae to be in Super Smash Bros. 6 as a full fighter but I‘ll still wouldn‘t mind if she still remains a Mii costume. Hopeful one day. So as for now, I decide to consider Monika for Super Smash Bros. 6. I made all her movesets with objects from DDLC like Pen Jab, Box Of Manga, Cupcake, Knife, Rope, Glitch Teleportation and her Final Smash will be Monika’s Reality will be just Monika and she’ll delete you to instant KO. I hope Nintendo will consider that in the future after we may get a new Nintendo generation console. I’ll end for the rest of you with this question, “Thoughts?”

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, I'm having such a blast with (Mii) Shantae, I've hardly even touched Kazuya even though he's supposed to be the bigger deal. I can't get over how good the costume looks, the hair and all, definitely buildable into a full fighter in the future.

Guess I'm slowly turning into Mii Fighter main. It's funny to realize that I prefer choosing a Mii Fighter based on one of my favorite characters over many other actual fighters in the roster haha.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
This is all off-topic but I just want to talk about my second most wanted character after Shantae for Smash is Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club. Please hear me out:

There’re some of parts of me that I’m interested in video games with other style like fantasy, horror, puzzle-solving, 3D platform and role-playing but I’m mostly into horror. My first experience of Doki Doki Literature Club was back in 2020 (I can’t remember when) and I actually become so interested to be a horror game with plots in Anime style even know I’m personally not into Anime. My other interest about is when it looks like actually realistic. So anyway, Doki Doki Literature Club has been ported to Nintendo Switch days ago and I played it on my own and experienced side stories which I think it’s a story where it all started. Not sure if that’s before DDLC but it’s its unrelated to the main story so idk if it meant like it’s not part of it or it’s not connected at all. The popularity, the community, the franchise is full of biggest strength of gaining. I still hope for Shantae to be in Super Smash Bros. 6 as a full fighter but I‘ll still wouldn‘t mind if she still remains a Mii costume. Hopeful one day. So as for now, I decide to consider Monika for Super Smash Bros. 6. I made all her movesets with objects from DDLC like Pen Jab, Box Of Manga, Cupcake, Knife, Rope, Glitch Teleportation and her Final Smash will be Monika’s Reality will be just Monika and she’ll delete you to instant KO. I hope Nintendo will consider that in the future after we may get a new Nintendo generation console. I’ll end for the rest of you with this question, “Thoughts?”
We were supposed to get Famicom Detecive's Ayumi back in Melee so I wouldn't mind either her or Monika getting in to represent Light Novel games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We were supposed to get Famicom Detecive's Ayumi back in Melee so I wouldn't mind either her or Monika getting in to represent Light Novel games.
I feel like Monika has the same Sans problem in that everything she has that would make good fighting material is massively spoiler-y.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So? The twist is the entire point of the game and marketing to this day goes out of it's way to not show any of it.
While it’s not the whole Moveset, Shulk’s final smash has a massive spoiler in it for a very story heavy game (and one much longer than the average DDLC play through); the Black Knight spirit completely spoils a 2 game buildup reveal from Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn... there’s plenty of examples.

It seems Smash doesn’t care TOO much about spoilers.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I heard about Ayumi from Famicom Detective Club. They decide to not to add her in I guess because she’s not too recognisable in the West but Sakurai did quote about most importantly characters are meant to be fun, not just recognisable so idk. I mostly thought of Monika for being a visual novel rep and a horror icon because she seems way too accurate being a ”self-aware horror” character because her original game is so realistic like (SPOILER ALERT) she’s actually talking to you at the end before deleting her file to beat the game especially she’s the cause of creating her own game to actual you but ended up being a glitched and corrupted nightmare. I think Monika deserves a big chance since Nintendo acknowledged DDLC and start the relationship with Dan Salvato and his team so we’ll just have to wait bit longer and see. Monokuma from Danganronpa for Smash instead? maybe that too.

I feel like Monika has the same Sans problem in that everything she has that would make good fighting material is massively spoiler-y.
cough Sephiroth even know FF 7 is an old game lol

While it’s not the whole Moveset, Shulk’s final smash has a massive spoiler in it for a very story heavy game (and one much longer than the average DDLC play through); the Black Knight spirit completely spoils a 2 game buildup reveal from Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn... there’s plenty of examples.

It seems Smash doesn’t care TOO much about spoilers.
Yeah I agree. Sakurai already spoiled about Sephiroth since he joined Smash as DLC. He warned us about spoilers to those audiences who haven’t played FF 7 yet. If you don’t care, you can continue watching it. Imagine Monokuma from Danganronpa for Smash. That’ll be another “spoiling” character but for the most spoiling character is Junko.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Wayforward reiterating that free DLC for Seven Sirens is coming, actually it's kind of crazy how many games they're working on at once if you think about it.
Hopefully this includes an extra difficulty mode because the game in its current state is an absolute breeze and even somewhat boring with how little of a challenge it provides.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hopefully this includes an extra difficulty mode because the game in its current state is an absolute breeze and even somewhat boring with how little of a challenge it provides.
Well, Magic Mode can be pretty tricky when you're first starting out and don't go out of your way to grind gems for upgraded spells. And being easy didn't make it any less exciting to go for the speedrun ending for me, besides a lot of metroidvanias end up becoming really easy by the end anyway.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Like the Metroidvania formula, you start out weak and become even stronger as the game progresses forward to the end. Though, Metroid Dread is going to change that with the elements of Fusion in the form of E.M.M.I units.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Limited run is getting crazy and I'm loving it.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, so I'm curious: now that it's been exactly one week since Kazuya released, how would you rank him compared to the other DLC fighters?

Here's mine:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Hero
3. Min Min
4. Joker
5. Steve
6. Sephiroth
7. Pyra & Mythra
8. Kazuya
9. Piranha Plant
10. Byleth
11. Terry

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Limited run is getting crazy and I'm loving it.
I really like that t-shirt. I might try to get it. depends how much it costs.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I'm curious: now that it's been exactly one week since Kazuya released, how would you rank him compared to the other DLC fighters?
In terms of how much I enjoy playing as them? For me, it’s-

1- Shantae Mii Brawler
2- Terry
3- Banjo
4- Sephiroth
5- Pyra/Mythra
6- Kazuya
7- Min Min
8- Joker
9- Byleth
10- Plant
11- Hero
12- Steve

Admittedly spots 1-10 are basically all still an 8 to 9 out of 10 for me on the fun factor, Hero being a bit lower unless it’s a 4-8 player all Hero mayhem round with friends, and Steve never really clicked for me.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I've been getting better with Mii Brawler Online and VS local play. Heck, I actually made a pichu player ragequit one time after the Flaming Kick vs Skull Bash

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hopefully it is true to its words. Been seeing the artbook being moved back for a long while.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Didn't see this one coming. Even if Shantae isn't a fighter, her future isn't over.
Screenshot_20210627-011520_YouTube.jpg

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Dumb question probably but did they happen to say if the pages for the artbook are laminate?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know what else is going to happen in the future for Smash series. Sakurai quoted, “The next DLC fighter will be the last. There won’t be anymore after that. The team will have to complete this project at home, right up until the end. Up until now, we’ve created all sorts of fighters and stages. Gathering all of these games, new and old, and compiling them into a single product is a task that has meant a lot to me. Now that I think about it, it’s been close to 10 years since Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems was in development. I’ve been working on this for a long time. You could call it my life’s work.” I know Sakurai is being Sakurai because he said those kind of things in other Smash games but idk. I’m not ready for the whole series to end tbh but man Sakurai do deserve a long retiring break. Who knows what the future holds.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is a business. They won't quit smash brothers, it's a popular series. And Sakurai will probably be a kind of consultant for the series even if he stops with it.

Just my guess :)
Actually if you read his column, they say about Sakurai considers retirement is a misinformation and stated he’ll still work in video game industry which it’s still good news but of course he still needs a long break from his long run like a 10-year marathon. He needs a really big drink. Maybe he’ll go back with Kirby or Kid Icarus series in the meantime.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah saw the trailer on the stream. Will be a metroidvania, canon, and have online multiplayer.

Waiting for the trailer to be online for posting

Edit: trailer is up

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Actually if you read his column, they say about Sakurai considers retirement is a misinformation and stated he’ll still work in video game industry which it’s still good news but of course he still needs a long break from his long run like a 10-year marathon. He needs a really big drink. Maybe he’ll go back with Kirby or Kid Icarus series in the meantime.
I didn't mean retirement from games in general, but stepping away from smash bros. I believe he said he would stop working on the series after this.
I don't remember exactly what he said tho.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean retirement from games in general, but stepping away from smash bros. I believe he said he would stop working on the series after this.
I don't remember exactly what he said tho.
Maybe you should’ve follow them on Twitter nvm lol

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wayforward announced a new RWBY game.

Yeah saw the trailer on the stream. Will be a metroidvania, canon, and have online multiplayer.

Waiting for the trailer to be online for posting

Edit: trailer is up

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Thankfully, it looks like a proper game. Both RWBY and Wayforward have a history with games of the "shovelware" vareity. Granted, Wayforward's is just that one Bakugon game that may have convinced Nintendo to let them remake Advance Wars, but still...

Top Bottom